Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It is disordered, I'll give him that. But a person who has a disorder still has something to give, and a continent and celibate lifestyle, if freely offered, is a great good gift to God.

I don't want this to come off as odd, but we are all a bundle of disorders and we need to deal with them rather than succumb to them. We try to not have our disorders define us. Better to be defined by what we can overcome. Am I making sense?
I agree with you 100%. It's disordered but they have much to offer. I am opposed to the prohibition. For that matter I'm opposed to the blanket prohibition of those who are mentally unstable among the religious. Why is someone allowed who has diabetes, but not someone who who is bipolar but perfectly stabilized on medication? It is absurd to say that a gay priest has nothing to offer.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It is not my opinion.
It most certainly is. If not, then prove your point by citing the Catechism. The only thing the CCC will agree with you on is that homosexuality is disordered.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It is disordered, I'll give him that. But a person who has a disorder still has something to give, and a continent and celibate lifestyle, if freely offered, is a great good gift to God.

I don't want this to come off as odd, but we are all a bundle of disorders and we need to deal with them rather than succumb to them. We try to not have our disorders define us. Better to be defined by what we can overcome. Am I making sense?
Makes great sense to me...

We are not to be defined by our passions, but by our relationship with God...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree with you 100%. It's disordered but they have much to offer. I am opposed to the prohibition. For that matter I'm opposed to the blanket prohibition of those who are mentally unstable among the religious. Why is someone allowed who has diabetes, but not someone who who is bipolar but perfectly stabilized on medication? It is absurd to say that a gay priest has nothing to offer.
I'll agree with you to a point. A priest who has same sex attraction and has managed to live a chaste life, I have no problem with that. A priest who lives the lifestyle there is no room for. A priest who advocates for the lifestyle there is no room for. To 'accompany' those with same sex attractions is to encourage them to a chaste life, not a profligate life. That's what we need. Not priests 'coming out'.

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'll agree with you to a point. A priest who has same sex attraction and has managed to live a chaste life, I have no problem with that. A priest who lives the lifestyle there is no room for. A priest who advocates for the lifestyle there is no room for. To 'accompany' those with same sex attractions is to encourage them to a chaste life, not a profligate life. That's what we need. Not priests 'coming out'.
The worst part is that they do it for applause and glory.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Please forgive me if that is how it sounds... If you read that page 5, (it is a remarkably short paragraph) you will see it is addressed to those following the Dharmic path of meditation... I was simply unaware of any other readily available on-line help for such followers... And this paragraph profoundly addresses, from a first hand perspective as one who was following this path, how he emerged from it...

Hence the import was pastoral, not a recruiting device - If it is offensive, I will remove the reference and the post...

Your call...

The poster may already have the link by now, I pray, and removing it will probably then not contribute to any harm for him...

Can you forgive me my wobble?

Arsenios
OK. Maybe if you had just quoted that paragraph. I think it is good to provoke some thought about Dharma as you have done. Another resource might be von Balthesar's 'Christian Meditation' wherein he draws a clear distinction between how a Christian is to meditate and how the eastern religions do meditation.

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How long until they allow married priests as the norm? When you operate against 1 Timothy ch. 3, and 1 Corinthians. ch. 9, you must not be surprised at issues.
I think that, at worst, the Catholic Church will continue to have clergy who are fine with such things, even supportive, but they'll never officially allow it because their claim to be the "original Church" will go right out the window. So we'll see people pleasing and pandering to both sides, in order to keep the claim and to keep the numbers up.

So in the books it will say no, but in practice it will say yes. It will throw those priests under the bus, but it won't correct them. Brilliant, really, if the world is what you seek.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes - the idea of - If you were an Anglican priest who got married and had a family then become Catholic you can be married.

But if you were a life long Catholic that want's to be a priest you can not.

So you give less preference to those that are dedicated longer???

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - the idea of - If you were an Anglican priest who got married and had a family then become Catholic you can be married.

But if you were a life long Catholic that want's to be a priest you can not.

So you give less preference to those that are dedicated longer???

Eh, not the best example there. Matthew 20.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank-you...
With tears...
I utterly did not wish to offend...

Maybe if you had just quoted that paragraph.

I could not cut and paste it - The site is a photo, not a text...
I would have done so were I able to do so...
I tried - Left click and select text to copy doesn't work...

I think it is good to provoke some thought about Dharma as you have done. Another resource might be von Balthesar's 'Christian Meditation' wherein he draws a clear distinction between how a Christian is to meditate and how the eastern religions do meditation.

I would be very interested in how you understand that issue...
I would contribute to that discussion or thread...

Thank-you again...

God Bless You my Brother...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Those are weeded out by the screening process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just posted where a priest came out from behind the pulpit.
That priest should be transferred to the Antarctic mission post haste. There is no place for such a priest. There is no place for a bishop that would not transfer this priest to the Antarctic mission. We can't be that hard up for priests that we can afford to keep those who do more damage than good.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They should be weeded out now - but for a long time they were not. Now there are lot's of them as priests and bishops. They say 15% to 50% - even on the low end that's way higher than the average public.

But there are many openly gay friendly ones - and they don't get removed. If the Church has all this authority, and they see the wrong and don't use it............why?

Upvote 0