Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I see you are a buddhist , but you are in a diocese ,and have a priest ??:scratch:

Haha. I was a catholic only four years of my adult life. We have churches on every corner. Cant go a day without god bless you nor a month without my being asked why Im not at church.

We (our city) have a beautiful diocese here. Wonderful priest in a wonderful church. Wonderful friends in a wonderful area. I dont have bias of other religions. Makes me feel like Im discriminating. The Dharma isnt about that so following The Dharma doesnt contradict how I see my former faith. Its more about dual involvement in both religions rather than general conversation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
You're right. The diocese weeds out those it believes aren't fit for priestly life. Not everyone is fit to be a priest, you know. In a class of 100, perhaps half are weeded out in discernment (before ever attending seminary). Then others get processed out over time. It is a myth that the Church (now) takes anyone who raises their hands. They have psychological testing done, all sorts of vetting.
You're also right that you cannot be gay and then be a priest. Gay sex, whether you have it or not, is disordered, and being tempted by such would disqualify the candidate. If a priest is ordained, and then figures out he has same-sex attraction, he can still live in the Church as a celibate. But one part of becoming a priest is to freely give up your sexuality, and since homo-sexuality is disordered, you can't give God something disordered, so you're disqualified. You can only give up freely your sexuality if it is ordered to God's will.

I have heard whispers in parishes where they talk about a priest being gay, but I discount them. I don't think of the priest as a sexual person, I see him as celibate. Shouldn't show your political bent, either.

I think it has more to do with actions. I have a disability and a lot of things I do is considered "disordered." Then there are things I dont do but because I have a medical diagnosis, the doctors say "I have a more tendency" than heathy people to do an action thats only frowned upon our society but not wrong as a whole.

I dont know his diffinition of gay is. I just think its wrong to go into the Church knowing however you define yourself is against your faith. There are probably many gay priest in the Church. But I dont see a reason one needs to come out or identify as gay. I mean, lay people yes. It gives them identity to know they are accepted without needing to do anything their whole lives. But priesthood is totally different ball game. I wanted to be a priest once. I couldnt because Im female. No other valid reason. So I think he made a premature decision. The rest of the politics, well, I cant really say much more without it being misunderstood.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious. Why do you believe that Jesus lived a celibate, unmarried life?

What makes you think he didn't? Jesus would have married if he was going to engage in sex and the scripture and tradition say nothing about a wife. Unless I am missing something?

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
@fat wee robin

I think you have not read Unveiled Artist's sig.

<<I'm a former Catholic, lover of the Catholic faith, the experience, and the involvement in a loving community of Christian brothers and sisters in Christ. Don't let that scare you. Being here I hope to share my positive Christian experiences with supporting folk; and, hope my past and present religions don't hurt people's communion here on CF with their Lord.:leafwind: When two philosophers come together, they argue. When two spiritual minded come together, they smile. -Plato >>

I totally forgot my SIG. Thanks!

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What makes you think he didn't? Jesus would have married if he was going to engage in sex and the scripture and tradition say nothing about a wife. Unless I am missing something?

The gospels don’t really tell all that much about him at all, actually. And those are the only ones with any first hand accounts.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Alright, but you are in a Catholic forum. We don't prescribe to sola scriptura. Scripture nor tradition speak of Christ being married. Thus, we believe Him to have been single and celibate.

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Haha. I was a catholic only four years of my adult life. We have churches on every corner. Cant go a day without god bless you nor a month without my being asked why Im not at church.

We (our city) have a beautiful diocese here. Wonderful priest in a wonderful church. Wonderful friends in a wonderful area. I dont have bias of other religions. Makes me feel like Im discriminating. The Dharma isnt about that so following The Dharma doesnt contradict how I see my former faith. Its more about dual involvement in both religions rather than general conversation.
Some would say I had 'dual' religion ,but am a Christian whose family have been Catholics for centuries (celtic origins )in an unbroken line .Certainly not perfect ,very adventurous ,but lovers of Jesus always .There is false perception among the English /America culture that christianity and religion come from the east only ,but the celts
believed ,as do many Jews that we have been here before .This I have no doubt of ,and so while I am totally christian ,I think that their arguments against such things come from fear and ignorance .

When you can 'see' the bigger picture it all makes sense ,but if they are not ready for it at least they can just say that . After all, if you imagine Einstein at six years would he have understood all that he came later to understand ,and from which knowledge (from the H.S. ) the world has never been the same .

[Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has had a clean.
Please stay on topic, and remember to be respectful
of Catholic teaching and tradition while in this forum.​
MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The gospels don’t really tell all that much about him at all, actually. And those are the only ones with any first hand accounts.
From the article:
If we are going to find our true and final happiness in Christ,we must not only recognize and understand our sinful inclinations, but make firm and constant efforts to overcome them. "Celebrating" thise inclinations simply make no sense- whether the inclination is same-sex attraction or any other deviation from God's an for us.

[Staff edit].
What is most concerning is that this 'coming out ' thing , is meant to normalise and encourage all listening ,to participate in the sin . That more and more young people are participating , is worrying .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Recently, a priest, who was prominent in the pastoral care of those with sex addictions received his fifteen minutes of fame when he revealed to his congregation at Mass 'I am gay': Wisconsin priest comes out to parishioners, gets standing ovation and to the National Catholic Reporter that he was "gay." According to news reports, his self-congratulation was met with thunderous applause. In a television interview, he proclaimed there is "nothing wrong with being gay."

Continued below.
https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2018/01/07/confronting-the-gay-priest-problem/

There are numerous parts in the Bible where homosexuality is condemned. For example, in Leviticus 18:22, sodomy is rightfully called an "abomination." And in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, scripture says that sodomites will not inherit the Kingdom of God. To put it another way, active homosexuals who don't repent will suffer eternal agony in the burning, fiery depths of hell.

There are some Christians who unfortunately deal with same-sex attraction, but they never act on it and seek the counsel of God for dealing with their immoral lust. They aren't sinning because they aren't committing sodomy despite liking those of the same gender. Most importantly, they keep it to themselves. This priest, though, is taking it many steps further and proclaiming to his congregation that he is engaging in sodomy. What an outrage! Even more ridiculous: his congregation applauded him! These people are lost souls.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
homo-sexuality is disordered, you can't give God something disordered, so you're disqualified. You can only give up freely your sexuality if it is ordered to God's will.
Says who?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Says who?
It is disordered, I'll give him that. But a person who has a disorder still has something to give, and a continent and celibate lifestyle, if freely offered, is a great good gift to God.

I don't want this to come off as odd, but we are all a bundle of disorders and we need to deal with them rather than succumb to them. We try to not have our disorders define us. Better to be defined by what we can overcome. Am I making sense?

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Have you read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose?

Page 5 here, one paragraph, may prove beneficial:

https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/assets/u... Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.pdf

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm curious. Why do you believe that Jesus lived a celibate, unmarried life?
Because when He was about to be scourged and crucified, He said to His disciples:

"But be of good cheer - I have overcome the world..."

You see, sexual relations are worldly...
Even when the Marriage Bed is undefiled...
And Marriage is a Type of our desired relationship with Christ...
Which is a union of mind, soul and will with Christ's Holy Body, the Ekklesia...

Arsenios

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Have you read Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr. Seraphim Rose?
Would you be recruiting for Orthodoxy in the Catholic forum? How might it fly if I were to try the same in the Orthodox forum? There would be fireworks! If it's something really relevant to this particular thread, and not a recruitment out of place, please let me know.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What is most concerning is that this 'coming out ' thing , is meant to normalise and encourage all listening ,to participate in the sin . That more and more young people are participating , is worrying .
It has absolutely no place in the Ecclesiastical Services of the Church...

It is not some emotional issue that needs public airing to heal...

It needs God to help a person who has consecrated himself to a celibate committment to his Church...
And it needs the Medicines of Immortality which the Church is supposed to offer, to succeed...
And these are Confession, Repentance, Penances, Obediences, and the separations of the person (Priest) from the incelibate temptations besetting him, and Anointing, and the Eucharistic Participation... And on and on...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you be recruiting for Orthodoxy in the Catholic forum? How might it fly if I were to try the same in the Orthodox forum? There would be fireworks! If it's something really relevant to this particular thread, and not a recruitment out of place, please let me know.
Please forgive me if that is how it sounds... If you read that page 5, (it is a remarkably short paragraph) you will see it is addressed to those following the Dharmic path of meditation... I was simply unaware of any other readily available on-line help for such followers... And this paragraph profoundly addresses, from a first hand perspective as one who was following this path, how he emerged from it...

Hence the import was pastoral, not a recruiting device - If it is offensive, I will remove the reference and the post...

Your call...

The poster may already have the link by now, I pray, and removing it will probably then not contribute to any harm for him...

Can you forgive me my wobble?

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We had a Priest with unresolved sexual issues once here in the US... Sleep-overs and pictures of kids in sleep-wear or slightly less, etc... Parents called the Bishop in with pics at Parish Council Meeting, and the Bishop showed the Priest the pics, asked the truth of him, received it, ordered him to place himself in police custody with a full confession with all his pictures, and receive from them whatever sentence they might impose, to be done the following morning... He had the night ahead to remove his belongings from his desk and his previous office in the Church... He then laicized this priest...

That is how it is done...

He PROTECTED the Priest by everything he did...

Homosexual attraction is a demonic temptation, as is adultery, as is concupiscience toward children, as are all sexual matters outside of the Sacrament of Marriage...

All must be overcome IF one is to serve in the Clerical Orders...

Arsenios

Upvote 0