Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently, a priest, who was prominent in the pastoral care of those with sex addictions received his fifteen minutes of fame when he revealed to his congregation at Mass 'I am gay': Wisconsin priest comes out to parishioners, gets standing ovation and to the National Catholic Reporter that he was "gay." According to news reports, his self-congratulation was met with thunderous applause. In a television interview, he proclaimed there is "nothing wrong with being gay."

Continued below.
https://www.thecatholicthing.org/2018/01/07/confronting-the-gay-priest-problem/

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently, a priest, who was prominent in the pastoral care of those with sex addictions received his fifteen minutes of fame when he revealed to his congregation at Mass 'I am gay': Wisconsin priest comes out to parishioners, gets standing ovation and to the National Catholic Reporter that he was "gay." According to news reports, his self-congratulation was met with thunderous applause. In a television interview, he proclaimed there is "nothing wrong with being gay."

Continued below.

I don't speak of my sex life to crowds of people, and no one should feel obligated to.
I think I told one friend one time about my sex life.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Continued below.
I have read all that can be read on the act in question in the Bible and it’s all condemning. I would incorporate such acts into sexual immorality. It’s forbidden by God. While we are not to judge those outside the faith leaders in the church is another matter. I don’t think the Pope accepts the act in question as ok.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to news reports, his self-congratulation was met with thunderous applause.
I am shocked that the congregation gave thunderous applause. How jaded and deluded Christians have become.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will pray for him. Not sure why he felt it was necessary to tell his congregation that he has same sex attraction. We all have our crosses to carry. Someone should teach this priest the value of humility.

Upvote 0

Unveiled Artist

Look! Its like the Nothing never was.
Jun 3, 2017
Virginia
✟35,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

Continued below.

Is this an isolated thing? I know in our diocese priest rules a to-be priest cant openly say he is gay. The Church does a "background" check to see if you had any sexual relations. If youre thought of as gay dispite your saying you straight, that would offset one from being a priest. Celibacy laws are supposed to help one focus on god as their sacrament rather than marriage; vocational choice.

Id have to go back, but if this is an isolated thing? I wouldnt see it affecting Church regulations as a whole. Many priests are highly devoted to their duties. If they are gay, that does not matter as a priest. Their sexual orientation has nothing to do with their vocational duties since they cant nor many want to Do anything. Its between them and god.

I dont agree with saying he is gay to people. I can see why it makes Catholics uncomfortable. I also would think about what it means to be gay. I dont see a priest giving up his pastoral duties when he did nothing wrong. Its an identity thing. Maybe pray for him. He knew he was gay before he went into ministry. So I think its not more so him identifying as gay, but the issue that would make me uncomfortable is that he may have took pastoral duties prematurely.

That is what I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will pray for him. Not sure why he felt it was necessary to tell his congregation that he has same sex attraction. We all have our crosses to carry. Someone should teach this priest the value of humility.
I agree and I think the article is quite good at explaining and standing against such actions.

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
[Staff edit].

There are plenty of heterosexual priests, who want to be there, but there is indeed a problem. Which is why in reaction to it, The catholic church's guildines for accepting canidates for the priesthood says not to accept those with deep seeted homosexual tendencies. Because that's now how the priesthood is supposed to work. It's not an escape from not being married but a serious vocation.
And celibacy is not a matter of domga but discipline. married Eastern Rite catholics are allowed to be ordained. but there is certainly nothing wrong or unatural with it. In the bible Jesus speaking on marriage says "“Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.” The last category likely refers to those who live a celibate life. Also in 1 Corinthians paul says this "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. He is certainly recommending and accepting celibacy here, though also marriage as well.

Priests are representing Christ.
Jesus was celibate. At least most people believe. Try saying what he did was unatural.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have read all that can be read on the act in question in the Bible and it’s all condemning. I would incorporate such acts into sexual immorality. It’s forbidden by God. While we are not to judge those outside the faith leaders in the church is another matter. I don’t think the Pope accepts the act in question as ok.
It is so clear in the Bible that it is a sin. I can not understand how people explain it away and say it is not a sin.
For me, I am having a problem with the Episcopal church due to gay clergy (not members just the clergy). I talked to the priest and he said most priests agree it is not sin.
I can have no confidence in a 'Shepard' who tosses out part of the Bible. If he can not discern the Holy Spirit on this then maybe he is missing God in other areas as well. Actually I don't think discernment is even needed.. it is so clearly written.

That is why I am looking into the RC church but I have lots of problems there too just in different areas, but I think I could handle those differences better than I could a gay priest.

• Winner
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And that's basically the crux of why they enter it. It's not a sin unless you act upon it.

A life of service to God that requires you to not act upon your desires would be quite appealing to someone trying to escape their desires.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Which of course brings up another semi interesting question.

Why is it that to look upon a woman with lust is to have already committed adultery, but to look on a man with lust isn't a sin unless you act upon it?

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Which of course brings up another semi interesting question.

Why is it that to look upon a woman with lust is to have already committed adultery, but to look on a man with lust isn't a sin unless you act upon it?

I think its if you entertain a lustful thought, if you saw someone and chose to stare at them for pleasure. which isn't the same thing as catching sight of something that tempts you to sin.

If so, then they are both the same.

Upvote 0

Joe 73

Jul 30, 2017
Michigan
✟36,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It is so clear in the Bible that it is a sin. I can not understand how people explain it away and say it is not a sin.
For me, I am having a problem with the Episcopal church due to gay clergy (not members just the clergy). I talked to the priest and he said most priests agree it is not sin.
I can have no confidence in a 'Shepard' who tosses out part of the Bible. If he can not discern the Holy Spirit on this then maybe he is missing God in other areas as well. Actually I don't think discernment is even needed.. it is so clearly written.

That is why I am looking into the RC church but I have lots of problems there too just in different areas, but I think I could handle those differences better than I could a gay priest.

definately consider this decision carefully. Also don't have unrealistic expectations, even though we don't try to have gay priests, their are still a large number that previously made their way in. The worst of are the sex scandals that have come up. I'm not saying this is a reason not to join, but its something you should be aware of, don't choose a church based on how perfect the people are, It goes through good and bad times.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article:
If we are going to find our true and final happiness in Christ,we must not only recognize and understand our sinful inclinations, but make firm and constant efforts to overcome them. "Celebrating" thise inclinations simply make no sense- whether the inclination is same-sex attraction or any other deviation from God's an for us.

[Staff edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
From the article:
If we are going to find our true and final happiness in Christ,we must not only recognize and understand our sinful inclinations, but make firm and constant efforts to overcome them. "Celebrating" thise inclinations simply make no sense- whether the inclination is same-sex attraction or any other deviation from God's an for us.

I agree. Our whole walk is to follow Christ, just as he denied himself and carried his cross to Calgary we must deny ourselves.

No one wants to drink from the cup, but we must deny ourselves amd follow Christ as he gave up his life.

3Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think its if you entertain a lustful thought, if you saw someone and chose to stare at them for pleasure. which isn't the same thing as catching sight of something that tempts you to sin.

If so, then they are both the same.
It's ok to have homosexual tendencies as long as you remain celibate
Is this an isolated thing? I know in our diocese priest rules a to-be priest cant openly say he is gay. The Church does a "background" check to see if you had any sexual relations. If youre thought of as gay dispite your saying you straight, that would offset one from being a priest. Celibacy laws are supposed to help one focus on god as their sacrament rather than marriage; vocational choice.

Id have to go back, but if this is an isolated thing? I wouldnt see it affecting Church regulations as a whole. Many priests are highly devoted to their duties. If they are gay, that does not matter as a priest. Their sexual orientation has nothing to do with their vocational duties since they cant nor many want to Do anything. Its between them and god.

I dont agree with saying he is gay to people. I can see why it makes Catholics uncomfortable. I also would think about what it means to be gay. I dont see a priest giving up his pastoral duties when he did nothing wrong. Its an identity thing. Maybe pray for him. He knew he was gay before he went into ministry. So I think its not more so him identifying as gay, but the issue that would make me uncomfortable is that he may have took pastoral duties prematurely.

That is what I think.
I see you are a buddhist , but you are in a diocese ,and have a priest ??:scratch:

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
@fat wee robin

I think you have not read Unveiled Artist's sig.

<<I'm a former Catholic, lover of the Catholic faith, the experience, and the involvement in a loving community of Christian brothers and sisters in Christ. Don't let that scare you. Being here I hope to share my positive Christian experiences with supporting folk; and, hope my past and present religions don't hurt people's communion here on CF with their Lord.:leafwind: When two philosophers come together, they argue. When two spiritual minded come together, they smile. -Plato >>

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

That is what I think.
You're right. The diocese weeds out those it believes aren't fit for priestly life. Not everyone is fit to be a priest, you know. In a class of 100, perhaps half are weeded out in discernment (before ever attending seminary). Then others get processed out over time. It is a myth that the Church (now) takes anyone who raises their hands. They have psychological testing done, all sorts of vetting.
You're also right that you cannot be gay and then be a priest. Gay sex, whether you have it or not, is disordered, and being tempted by such would disqualify the candidate. If a priest is ordained, and then figures out he has same-sex attraction, he can still live in the Church as a celibate. But one part of becoming a priest is to freely give up your sexuality, and since homo-sexuality is disordered, you can't give God something disordered, so you're disqualified. You can only give up freely your sexuality if it is ordered to God's will.

I have heard whispers in parishes where they talk about a priest being gay, but I discount them. I don't think of the priest as a sexual person, I see him as celibate. Shouldn't show your political bent, either.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Let me know if I can help with your issues?

Upvote 0