Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it does seem that way. It's getting to the point, especially since Trump came into the political scene, where it's almost impossible to distinguish between conservative politics and evangelical Christianity.

I can't tell the difference between a political and religious conservatives and like the Holy Father, Pope Francis (now gloriously reigning in Rome) I'm disappointed that some American Catholics have jumped on the bandwagon.

It has little if nothing to do with the Gospel.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see Pope Francis as a champion and a stern advocate for marginalized people, such as the poor, Indigenous people, homosexuals and other LGBT people. He also shows compassion for and extends mercy toward Muslims and Palestinians, which I really respect. I personally think he embodies Christ's teaching of love your neighbor as yourself, love your enemies, and turning the other cheek. He speaks up for people who are often marginalized and suppressed because of who they are or because they believe in another religion. Overall, he has definitely caught my attention and caused me to take a serious look into Catholicism. His Christlike example has helped to restore my respect for the Christian faith (for the most part anyway because there are sects of Christianity that I simply can't respect).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I see Pope Francis as a champion and a stern advocate for marginalized people, such as the poor, Indigenous people, homosexuals and other LGBT people. He also shows compassion for and extends mercy toward Muslims and Palestinians, which I really respect. I personally think he embodies Christ's teaching of love your neighbor as yourself, love your enemies, and turning the other cheek. He speaks up for people who are often marginalized and suppressed because of who they are or because they believe in another religion. Overall, he has definitely caught my attention and caused me to take a serious look into Catholicism. His Christlike example has helped to restore my respect for the Christian faith (for the most part anyway because there are sects of Christianity that I simply can't respect).
I agree. The problem being that people who espouse left wing views can take possession of Pope Francis as if he is their poster boy. As if he only represents liberal views. But His stance is more Christian than liberal. Liberal views only skim the surface.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,823.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We all had to listen to visions of Catholicism that seemed stern, sin-obsessed, and antithetical to the primary gospel message of Jesus in previous decades. Isn't it refreshing to hear something different, something that for once those of us who felt on the margins can cheer about?

So yeah, I'm not upset. It's karma--for everything we've had to listen to all these years. May these words open the eyes of fundamentalists--and if they don't, let them at least realize turnabout's fair play.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think we have to be careful that our Christian stance is not based on hatred. Hatred of those who stand on the opposite end of the political spectrum.
As liberals we can assume that conservatives don't care about the poor and are not walking the talk. But many of them are. Which kind of spoils our need to pigeon-hole them. They are not all the same. You can see just as much hypocrisy on the left as the right.

Upvote 0