• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Confession Theology - how does this work?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Markie Boy, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy Looking East, Moving Slow Supporter

+783
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    So I'm struggling so hard with Catholicism. Confession theology they have makes no sense to me. Can anyone tell me if Orthodoxy is similar to this or different. This is a conversation between Me and the RCC's teaching - please evaluate.

RCC - you have to go to confession to be forgiven for your sins.

Me - can I confess direct to God?

RCC - yes, but it has to be a perfect act of contrition to be forgiven the.

Me - so if I go confess to the priest and it's not a perfect act of contrition - does he make up the difference?

RCC - provides various angles and answers at this point, gets quite complicated.

It seems the only logical conclusion is God forgives with or without a priest, if you are truly wanting to repent and change your ways.

What does Orthodoxy do with all of this??

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+6,894
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Your confessor is kind of like your doctor. He gets to hear the symptoms of your particular ailments and can give advice on how you can strengthen yourself to avoid falling into the same spiritual illnesses. It is also beneficial to have a witness to our confession because it strengthens our resolve not to commit those same sins again. It's one thing to confess to God who already knows everything we have done and failed to do, it is another thing altogether to confess those things to another human being who doesn't.
    God forgives always, but there is much benefit to confessing to our priest and God always wants what's best for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+14,251
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    confession taps you into the forgiveness that God already gives you, and restores you to your baptismal purity.

4. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,090
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Strictly speaking, we confess to God directly in the presence of a "witness" (usually a priest, sometimes someone else with a blessing to hear confessions).

5. Markie Boy

Markie Boy Looking East, Moving Slow Supporter

+783
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I have heard much of what you guys stated, and it is less troubling that what I feel in the RCC. There one is to confess to the priest, who is an Alter Christus so they say.

So confession to the priest there seems far different than confessing direct to God.

So Orthodoxy would not view this as the same?

From what I see from this forum, Orthodoxy seems to be more about spiritual healing and growth, while in the RCC I keep feeling like it's about meeting the requirements of cannon law.

• List
  6. ArmyMatt

+14,251
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    no, it's not the same. as a priest, I am the tool God uses, and I offer advice and witness.

• List
  7. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,163
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    If I recall correctly, confession in Orthodoxy is understood often in relation to King David & Nathan the prophet ( 2 Samuel 12 ). This is why we often read Psalms 51 which is David’s confession. ( it is actually Psalm 50 in our Bibles but I linked the western # for convenience).

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+16,333
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Are the prayers the priest prays always the same?

I’ve been to a few different confessors now, but 99% was with only one priest. The prayers seem almost the same to me always, and mention King David and Nathan the prophet.

Does it vary by jurisdiction? Mostly I’ve been to Greek priests, and one Antiochian.

9. Goodhuman

Goodhuman Active Member

+106
    Croatia
    Christian
    Single
    I have never been to confession, because I didn't need to, except once when I told my priest that I have sinned, without asked me. Confession not release the soul from the sin, but God accepts you again.

10. ArmyMatt

+14,251
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think technically it can vary priest to priest. I have heard a lot of various prayers (at least in the OCA). the Byzantines seem more uniform.

11. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,163
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I am Antiochian Orthodox & have only ever confessed in our local parish. The same standard prayer & references to King David & Nathan the prophet are mentioned alongside others like the Prodigal Son, Publican etc. These are in our prayer book.

Surely, I agree that some variation is practiced among different Orthodox Churches.

12. ArmyMatt

+14,251
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I have heard that prayer at the Antiochian parish near my folks.

13. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+6,852
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The Slavonic prayer is different. I think it had some influences on the prayer. The version about King David and Nathan the prophet is older.