✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

I won't go into much detail on this, but it's been weighing on my mind. I recently received the sacrament of reconciliation, but i'm having trouble forgiving myself. I know that God has more than likely forgiven me, but i'm not sure how to forgive myself for the things i've done.

What are your thoughts/advice on how to forgive oneself?

Thanks!

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

I won't go into much detail on this, but it's been weighing on my mind. I recently received the sacrament of reconciliation, but i'm having trouble forgiving myself. I know that God has more than likely forgiven me, but i'm not sure how to forgive myself for the things i've done.

Thanks!
Do you have a Crucifix you can look out and meditate on?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi guys,

It's hard to do. I am very critical of myself. I beat myself up really well with regularity. But when I have gone to confession I have to ask who am I that I should be more critical and less forgiving than God. I think the natural tendency for us is to beat ourselves up. And I suppose if we don't go to confession frequently we deserve it. Going to confession frequently should give us less material to use against ourselves, and lessen the attacks against ourselves which we are so good at.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi guys,

It's hard to do. I am very critical of myself. I beat myself up really well with regularity. But when I have gone to confession I have to ask who am I that I should be more critical and less forgiving than God. I think the natural tendency for us is to beat ourselves up. And I suppose if we don't go to confession frequently we deserve it. Going to confession frequently should give us less material to use against ourselves, and lessen the attacks against ourselves which we are so good at.

Reactions: Decanus
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do indeed!
Try meditating on it and how Christ paid for it all with His Infinite Life. Also, if there is anything you can do on the natural level to make reparation for your sins, try do that, but do it prayerfully for God.

Also offering up simple prayers and sufferings (simple everyday sufferings, nothing over the top, Lent is over after all) for your past sins is also a good idea, but trust that your sins are forgiven.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I struggle with this, especially since I most often confess a series of habitual sins that bring me a lot of shame. I just have to remember that the Sacrament is the Sacrament, and God forgives me without reservation when I come to him. So if the God of the universe forgives me, who am I not to forgive myself?

Sometimes, once I've done my penance, I have to mutter to myself under my breath "it's okay" just so I can remember that God is always willing to reconcile me to him.

Upvote 0

Robinus

Sep 22, 2016
United Kingdom
✟46,468.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Daily ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you the truth about yourself .

Gradually He will convince you that you are forgiven and will grant you peace of mind .

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a hard thing for many of us I think. As men (yes I am a man even though my name and avatar suggest I might be a woman) we are largely driven by our carnal nature. Even us married men struggle with our more base desires. These sins tend to weight the heaviest on us because they are the ones that are focused on a lot. However, they are no less forgiven in confession then any other sin. Try to remember that God knows how He created you. He knows that you struggle. He knows that you are doing your very best to do better. He knows that he needed to send his Son. Repent, pray, and keep trying. It is the journey we all have to make.

I would also speak with my priest about it if it was really weighing on me. Sit down and just discuss it with him. He will understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you guys so much for your replies. I will definitely take them in and follow what has been recommended. I acknowledge that it is a part of my fallen nature to not forgive myself and that Satan is pushing me into this way of thinking.

Pray for me.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you guys so much for your replies. I will definitely take them in and follow what has been recommended. I acknowledge that it is a part of my fallen nature to not forgive myself and that Satan is pushing me into this way of thinking.

Pray for me.

Get your Rosary out and pray brother. Let us fall at the feet of our mother and beg her to show us to her Son. She will lead us.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys,

Thanks!
I'd also suggest that you try out St. Faustina's Diary Divine Mercy in my Soul, that book does brilliant job emphasizing the Faith one should have in Divine Mercy.

• Agree
Upvote 0