USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe Confession is something that is most of the time underrated. I mean, you have a pastor who is supposed to be your spiritual father but a lot of people prefer to reserve to themselves sins. This is problematic since it might lead to having a bad way of dealing with your problems and might destroy your relationship with God. What do you think about it?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe Confession is something that is most of the time underrated. I mean, you have a pastor who is supposed to be your spiritual father but a lot of people prefer to reserve to themselves sins. This is problematic since it might lead to having a bad way of dealing with your problems and might destroy your relationship with God. What do you think about it?

I think its very easy to overly idealize spirituality. Including confession and the whole "spiritual father" thing. I can tell you from personal knowledge that can easily lead to problems in its own right.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think its very easy to overly idealize spirituality. Including confession and the whole "spiritual father" thing. I can tell you from personal knowledge that can easily lead to problems in its own right.
What kind of problems?

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think you're correct. Sin brings us further from God with repentance and confession bringing us back to God through Christ.

Edit : I wanted to add that I recently read a book by Elder Cleopa that I'm reminded of by this thread. @David Cabrera I'd highly recommend it as it's a very short read. It's called "How Satan Deceives People", and I think you'd enjoy it. You can pick it up on Amazon for 99 cents, and it's well worth it imo. The topic of the book is quite literally this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus told us to not be called "father" .. for our father is in heaven. Therefore, when we address the priest as "father", it is Christ in them that we ought be directing our worship (if, indeed, He has found His abode in that one - as 1 John 4:1 and 1 John 4:16 has a warning about that).

Now, sofaras confessing goes, it is to recognise that Messiah (the spirit of Christ, John 1:4) is the one who condemns (Romans 8:34). Therefore, if there is any condemnation from Him, we need to seek His absolution through confessing to repentance .. but this has become a regime for those who are not born from above (1 Corinthians 2:14-16).

Here is a couple of useful warnings against confession where it might be rather foolish (ie: when there is indeed no condemnation from Messiah, per Romans 8:1):

"Beware, everyone, of your neighbor!
Don’t even trust a brother.
For every brother grabs like Jacob
and every neighbor spreads slander.
4 Everyone deceives his neighbor
and does not speak the truth.
They taught their tongue to speak lies.
They wear themselves out doing wrong.
5 “You dwell in the midst of deceit.
In deceit they refuse to know Me.”
It is a declaration of Adonai.
Jeremiah 9:3-5

“Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.”
Revelation 16:15

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What kind of problems?

Clericalism, spiritual manipulation and abuse. Even well-meaning people can be corrupted by even a small sense of power or entitlement.

A spiritual father is not the same as a priest. A person has every right to expect trust from religious figures should be earned.

That's one thing I appreciate about my own church tradition, my pastor made it very clear up front that I am his equal and I do not have to agree with him. He serves a role he is called to, to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments, but that doesn't imply an ontological difference between clergy and laity, nor does it mean he is always right.

I think our church strikes the right balance between encouraging people to be authentic and own up to their faults, and respecting peoples privacy and autonomy. Private confession is mostly voluntary in our church, though some religious orders might stipulate it as a condition of membership.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I very much appreciate the Anglican approach to private confession:
All may, many do, some should, none must.

In my experience there is a group of people for whom it would be helpful but who don't choose to use it, which is, I guess, what your OP is getting at. But I prefer not to try to make it mandatory, because that in itself can be harmful.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

That's a misunderstand of the purpose of confession, which is about strengthening faith and finding healing, rather than overcoming sin (which is really not our job to do, it is God's). The idea that you must confess your sins just so you learn to measure up to somebody else's expectations of behavior, is a factor in creating a potentially toxic religious atmosphere driven by inappropriate shame and guilt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Your sins were forgiven at the cross, we just need to agree with God " yes that is sin, I agree with you". If you want to blab it out to another human that's up to you but really it's between you and God. If He then leads you to bring it to someone that is another matter. You are set free through the blood of Christ, whole religious systems were built on something else but He is all that is required. If you are out of alignment with God , then get back in alignment . I confess nearly daily, some people I know do it several times a day.Why ? Because we are sinners. But we don't generally tell other men about it unless maybe in a testimony atmosphere where we can speak of the instant peace that comes into our souls upon realigning with God...

If someone is experiencing something else, that more is required, it's self imposed or else a religious system has brain washed you into believing something else. People inherently will dig up enough trash on you without giving them fuel otherwise. Strange as it may seem churches are not full of born again believers who should be able to keep things under their hat if you share your dirt with them. I'd be careful about that. Share it with God, He has forgiven you already anyway and forgotten it:
Hebrews 8:12
For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people might confess their sins to a Catholic priest, but deny they ever did wrong in public. Repentance is more cleansing than confession. I do not often hear accused politicians confessing their guilt, rather they deny they did wrong. It is hard to be humble.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's a misunderstand of the purpose of confession, which is about strengthening faith and finding healing, rather than overcoming sin (which is really not our job to do, it is God's). The idea that you must confess your sins just so you learn to measure up to somebody else's expectations of behavior, is a factor in creating a potentially toxic religious atmosphere driven by inappropriate shame and guilt.
I disagree with you, God and me is just an idea that might fail because you think you are doing God's will when you might not.

Upvote 0

HisGraceIsAllYouNeed

I am a slave to righteousness
Oct 1, 2018
The Midwest
✟9,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Riddle me this:
If you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and believe that He died, was risen from the dead, and took away your sins—past, present, future (in fact, at the the time He did all that, you didn’t exist, so he had to have covered your FOREVER sins)—if you believe that, then where does that leave confession? You’re confessing forgiven sins.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Riddle me this:
If you have accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and believe that He died, was risen from the dead, and took away your sins—past, present, future (in fact, at the the time He did all that, you didn’t exist, so he had to have covered your FOREVER sins)—if you believe that, then where does that leave confession? You’re confessing forgiven sins.
I believe Jesus died so that I could be free from the power of sin and the devil. If I am a Christian and I commit sin, I need to confess so that it does not affect my relation with God.

Upvote 0

HisGraceIsAllYouNeed

I am a slave to righteousness
Oct 1, 2018
The Midwest
✟9,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But through His death and resurrection for us, when He looks at you, David, He sees you as the Son has made you—not sinful and flawed, but holy, righteous, and redeemed!! This is amazing grace!

Can God repeal what He accomplished on the cross? By saying that if you don’t confess your relationship will suffer, you’re saying that when He saved you He didn’t finish it forever. You’re forgiven always!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But through His death and resurrection for us, when He looks at you, David, He sees you as the Son has made you—not sinful and flawed, but holy, righteous, and redeemed!! This is amazing grace!

Can God repeal what He accomplished on the cross? By saying that if you don’t confess your relationship will suffer, you’re saying that when He saved you He didn’t finish it forever. You’re forgiven always!
I was not saved in a moment, I was saved, being saved and will be saved. A believer can fall from grace through unrepented sin.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I disagree with you, God and me is just an idea that might fail because you think you are doing God's will when you might not.

So you'ld rather trust that somebody else is doing God's will when in fact they might not?

Only you can know yourself as well as you can, other people can't. And each of us is personally responsible for our own lives.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Riddle me this:

Yes. We are always confessing forgiven sins. Forgiveness does not come because of the act of confession; but that is an opportunity to be assured of the forgiveness already given.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think you're correct. Sin brings us further from God with repentance and confession bringing us back to God through Christ.

No height no depth can take you from the divine love of God.

It is our perception that makes us feel farther. Sins numb us to being able to hear and feel the move of the Spirit.

He covers all unrighteousness and is faithful and just to forgive our sins.

Just cuz you trip on a rock doesnt take you farther away from the finishline. It just delays. Just get up and get 'rr done

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So you'ld rather trust that somebody else is doing God's will when in fact they might not?

Only you can know yourself as well as you can, other people can't. And each of us is personally responsible for our own lives.
I can convince myself that what I am doing is nothing wrong at all.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0