Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

I am a fairly wayward Catholic who has been investigating Protestant traditions and was wondering if anyone here can help me.

I've become somewhat discouraged by the legalism in Catholic spiritual practice, particularly the sin/confess/repeat cycle. Some sins are very difficult to avoid, and then I am on the outside looking in and cannot commune without receiving absolution from an ordained priest. I am not looking for a way to keep sinning and communing, but the rigidity of the Catholic practice has discouraged me as I hate to be the lone Catholic who rarely communes and feeling like I am stuck in a state of mortal sin until I can formally confess. I feel like this is almost a kind of clerical barrier to direct communion with God, in a sense.

In the Lutheran Church, is the process similar? Does one have to confess sins before one can partake of the bread and wine? Is confessing common in Lutheranism? Is it mandatory? Can one repent to God without confessing to a priest and still recieved the sacraments?

Thank you kindly in advance.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The Lord's Supper is given for the forgiveness of all our sins.

I'm guessing a lot of Catholics simply receive without confessing their sins privately, now days. That is the impression I get. In the Orthodox Church, this is normal. People go to confession according to their spiritual father's guidance, usually no more than once a month or if they feel they need to, they do not necessarily have to confess all their sins before they commune. There is also no distinction between mortal and venial sins.

It could be you need to talk to your priest and see what he thinks you should do. Be honest about your concerns and see what he has to say.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, not within the teachings of confessional Lutheranism which is the sub-forum you've chosen to start your post in. If attending a confessional Lutheran congregation you'd need to speak with the pastor first before attempting to commune there.

Upvote 0

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm guessing a lot of Catholics simply receive without confessing their sins privately, now days. That is the impression I get. In the Orthodox Church, this is normal. People go to confession according to their spiritual father's guidance, usually no more than once a month or if they feel they need to, they do not necessarily have to confess all their sins before they commune. There is also no distinction between mortal and venial sins.

It could be you need to talk to your priest and see what he thinks you should do. Be honest about your concerns and see what he has to say.
My current priest is a Catholic priest. I left Orthodoxy four years ago due to a relocation (only one parish within an hour and a half drive through the mountains)... and a couple of other reasons.

Unless you mean the local Lutheran pastor? I have not yet attended a Lutheran parish but have only been learning about the life and thoughts of Luther himself.

Upvote 0

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not within the teachings of confessional Lutheranism which is the sub-forum you've chosen to start your post in. If attending a confessional Lutheran congregation you'd need to speak with the pastor first before attempting to commune there.
I assumed as much. Thank you.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless you mean the local Lutheran pastor? I have not yet attended a Lutheran parish but have only been learning about the life and thoughts of Luther himself.

I mean, changing churches over just this one issue is a big decision. You should talk to your priest also to get his perspective on your problems, if you haven't already done so. The reason I say that is that there are going to be spiritual challenges wherever you go. Make sure you are OK with all of Lutheranism, especially if you plan to go to a strictly confessional church.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean, changing churches over just this one issue is a big decision. You should talk to your priest also to get his perspective on your problems, if you haven't already done so. The reason I say that is that there are going to be spiritual challenges wherever you go. Make sure you are OK with all of Lutheranism, especially if you plan to go to a strictly confessional church.
There is certainly more to it than just one issue. But I do appreciate your concern and advice on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And yes, your assumption regarding many Catholics communing without confessing seems to me to be true. In fact, my neighbour, a lifelong Catholic, communes quite regularly, and he told me recently that he has never been to confession! I would not be comfortable doing so, however.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If you do decide to attend a confessional Lutheran congregation and you don't get a chance to clear participation of the elements with the pastor first, during communion you can proceed as directed but just keep your arms crossed, signifying you're only approaching the alter for a blessing which the pastor will provide as he comes across you.

Upvote 0

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you do decide to attend a confessional Lutheran congregation and you don't get a chance to clear participation of the elements with the pastor first, during communion you can proceed as directed but just keep your arms crossed, signifying you're only approaching the alter for a blessing which the pastor will provide as he comes across you.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is an old thread, but just wondering how your spiritual journey is going?
Well, I am afraid that, following decades of reading, exploring, seeking meaning, and trying on various faiths, I have somewhat reluctantly defaulted back to atheism.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I am afraid that, following decades of reading, exploring, seeking meaning, and trying on various faiths, I have somewhat reluctantly defaulted back to atheism.

Sorry to hear that; remember that as long as we are breathing our journey continues!

Blessings!

Upvote 0