Confession and Repentance?

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I would suggest that the requirements of the New Covenant are to love God and love our neighbor. That being said, attempting to fulfill those requirements as a means of salvation is futile. We are supposed to do those things as our part in the New Covenant but there is no clause in that covenant that states those things are a requirement for salvation .That is not how it works,. Under the New Covenant, God offers us salvation without requiring any prior qualifications on our part but if we accept that gift we can be expected to act in such a way as it shows that we have accepted it.

I do not see love as a "requirement". Our love for God is the product of Gods love for us. We love because God first loved us (1 John 4:19).

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, Paul didn't say it was a "requirement", so...............

Of course he did.

Gal 6
7Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.8For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Romans 2
6God will repay each person according to what they have done.7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

Romans 11
22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll take Paul's word over yours.
When did that start? Usually I read that you'll take the word of your denomination of choice over anything else and that Scripture Alone or "private interpretation" are big no-nos.

Whatever's convenient at the moment, I guess.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When did that start? Usually I read that you'll take the word of your denomination of choice over anything else and that Scripture Alone or "private interpretation" are big no-nos.

Whatever's convenient at the moment, I guess.

You know that is not true. Your routinely dismiss scripture that contradicts your man made dogma.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Of course he did.

Gal 6
7Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.8For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

Romans 2
6God will repay each person according to what they have done.7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.

Romans 11
22Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

You are just reading your own prejudiced presuppositions into the text. There is nothing there about "requirements" for the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You know that is not true. Your routinely dismiss scripture that contradicts your man made dogma.

Oh do stop. All the rest of the time we're considered to be awful Bible-thumpers and are constantly being told that God has given his favorite denomination additional revelation that's as good as Scripture...and shame on us for not acknowledging it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You are just reading your own prejudiced presuppositions into the text. There is nothing there about "requirements" for the New Covenant.

You are ignoring the truth. Paul warns you, "Do not be deceived!"

How much more clear could he be? Do you want eternal life? Do you want to inherit the Kingdom of God?

What does Paul tell us are required?

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh do stop. All the rest of the time we're considered to be awful Bible-thumpers and are constantly being told that God has given his favorite denomination additional revelation that's as good as Scripture...and shame on us for not acknowledging it. :rolleyes:

Deal with the scriptures I've posted and get back to me.

You hold to a man made dogma that is contradicted by scripture, let alone the Church built by Jesus.

Gal 6

Romans 2

Romans 11

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
You are ignoring the truth. Paul warns you, "Do not be deceived!"

How much more clear could he be? Do you want eternal life? Do you want to inherit the Kingdom of God?

What does Paul tell us are required?

Paul, as well as the rest of the NT tells us exactly how to have eternal life......

1 John 2:25
"And this is the promise that He has promised us - eternal life."

1 John 5:11
"And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son."

1 John 5:12
"Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life."

1 John 5:13
"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life."

John 3:15
"so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life"

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:36
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them."

John 5:24
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."

John 5:38-40
"You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

John 6:47
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life."

John 10:28
"And I give them eternal life, and they will never, ever, by any means perish; and no one will ever snatch them out of My hand".

1 Timothy 1:16
"But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His immense patience as an example for those who would believe in Him and receive eternal life."

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Paul, as well as the rest of the NT tells us exactly how to have eternal life......

1 John 2:25
"And this is the promise that He has promised us - eternal life."

1 John 5:11
"And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son."

1 John 5:12
"Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life."

1 John 5:13
"These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life."

John 3:15
"so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life"

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:36
"Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them."

John 5:24
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."

John 5:38-40
"You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent. You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

John 6:47
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life."

John 10:28
"And I give them eternal life, and they will never, ever, by any means perish; and no one will ever snatch them out of My hand".

1 Timothy 1:16
"But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His immense patience as an example for those who would believe in Him and receive eternal life."

Yes, but none of these verses rule out our responsibility.

It is not faith or works, it is faith and works.

Paul expicitly states that we will reap what WE sow.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not see love as a "requirement". Our love for God is the product of Gods love for us. We love because God first loved us (1 John 4:19).
We disagree slightly. I agree we love God because he loved us first but I think that it is a requirement of moving forward as a Christian that we love God and our neighbor. If not, explain why did Jesus commanded us to do so? I am trying to make a distinction between the concept of a behavioral requirement inherent to discipleship and the concept of a requirement for salvation. We are not required to behave in a certain way to gain salvation but perhaps because we are saved we are expected to behave in a certain way.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
We disagree slightly. I agree we love God because he loved us first but I think that it is a requirement of moving forward as a Christian that we love God and our neighbor. If not, explain why did Jesus commanded us to do so? I am trying to make a distinction between the concept of a behavioral requirement inherent to discipleship and the concept of a requirement for salvation. We are not required to behave in a certain way to gain salvation but perhaps because we are saved we are expected to behave in a certain way.

God IS love. Like any commandment of God, the commandment to love drives me to my knees in recognition that I can't and only Christ can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but none of these verses rule out our responsibility.

It is not faith or works, it is faith and works.

Paul expicitly states that we will reap what WE sow.

I and many others do not accept that works play a role in our salvation. I do believe we have a responsibility to God to be faithful to Him by means of works but those works are not involved at all in how we achieve salvation. We don't achieve it. We do not have the ability to do so. God does.

Matt 19:25-26
When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?" 26And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."….

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All of those verses "explicitly" state what is "required".

Not exclusively. The entire gospel is not found in a single verse.

You can't exclude those verses that contradict your beliefs.

I agree that we need faith, but I don't agree that faith is all we need. That's not what the bible teaches.

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I and many others do not accept that works play a role in our salvation.

Why did Paul say this?

Romans 2
6God will repay each person according to what they have done.7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Why did James say this?

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Why did Jesus say this?

John 15:10
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and remain in his love.

and this:

Matt 7:21
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Not exclusively. The entire gospel is not found in a single verse.

You can't exclude those verses that contradict your beliefs.

I agree that we need faith, but I don't agree that faith is all we need. That's not what the bible teaches.

Right, you need God's grace also......

Ephesians 2:8-9

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast"

Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right, you need God's grace also......

Ephesians 2:8-9

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast"

Exactly.

Without grace we cannot be saved.

However, God's grace reaches out to all men.

Some don't choose to respond, some respond for awhile then fall away.

Consider the parable of the sower.

Upvote 0