• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Confession and Conviction

Discussion in 'Spiritual Formation & Disciplines' started by Carl Emerson, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,286
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Hi there,

I have recently joined a liturgical church and this issue has arisen.

I have become used to hearing the conviction of the Holy Spirit when I stray from His best for me.

During the service we are encouraged to confess sins that we have no knowledge of.

What is the purpose of confessing without conviction?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. In-Christ-Alone

In-Christ-Alone Member

+60
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Greetings" what is "a liturgical church"? could this be what Job used to do?

"So it was, when the days of feasting had run their course, that Job would send and sanctify them, and he would rise early in the morning and offer burnt offerings according to the number of them all. For Job said, “It may be that my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did regularly." (1:5)

3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,104
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    It is wise to acknowledge that we act selfishly and without regard to others and only in our self-interest with no thought of other people. Even though we are not aware that we do that.

And doing that we teach others to do the same.
    Even though we are not aware that we are doing it.

4. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+3,178
    Christian
    Married
    Why do you make a statement such as this? Some of us act in ways that consider other people, beginning with our immediate family and extending out from there. Perhaps you don't, but that is no reason to apply that to others.

5. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+7,104
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Very good reason sir. Most of us think that we do.

"It is wise to acknowledge that we act selfishly and without regard to others and only in our self-interest with no thought of other people. Even though we are not aware that we do that."

Wisdom comes through self-analysis. And from taking criticism from others to heart.

6. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+181
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    The sort of churches that some 1.7 billion Christians are associated with, perhaps?

To the OP, we indeed ask God to forgive us our sins committed in knowledge and in ignorance. We often do or say or think things that we don’t immediately perceive to be wrong, of which our impoverished consciences are not able to fully or straightaway convict us. It’s ultimately a posture of humility, acknowledging both our constant disposition to sin and the ineffably deep mercy God bestows on us when we come to him in repentance. We’re also prone to forget or ignore all the little sins we rack up on a daily basis, so we try to cover as much as we can by asking Him to “blot out all our iniquities”, including our “secret sins”.

Psalms 19:12

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+5,286
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    OK great responses thanks.

I guess I see an attitude of repentance different than an act of repentance.

I would have thought an act of repentance is a response to personal conviction regarding a specific act.

An attitude of repentance however is a permanent awareness of our falling short of the amazing life and example that Jesus set.

However an attitude of repentance is eclipsed by a deep appreciation of the Grace of God and never brings condemnation.

So the issue I have is that repeatedly confessing that one is a 'worm' without conviction may bring false condemnation and/or false piety.

To me there is a clash between the living relationship we enjoy in which He searches the hearts and brings a word of correction through conviction and the required structure in the liturgy that has us confess unworthiness week after week - not that we are worthy in ourselves but the focus should be on His goodness and not dominated by our badness.

8. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+2,028
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    If there is a Orthodox church nearby, see if you can attend what is known as Forgiveness Vespers on March 14th, which is the very first service of Lent. The end of the service is completed by everyone in attendance asking forgiveness from every single person in the church. I've never made it through without being in tears of my own sins.

It is also the first time that the Prayer of St. Ephraim is said:

O Lord and Master of my life, take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk.
    But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience, and love to Thy servant.
    Yea, O Lord and King, grant me to see my own transgressions, and not to judge my brother, for blessed art Thou, unto ages of ages. Amen.