St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The rectangular stars and bars is the Confederate naval flag. (Maybe that shape is easier to spot at sea. Or it looks better in the wind.) I guess it became a symbol of Southern resistance to desegregation because rectangular flags are more familiar.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I thought that was an odd comment, too, but "Football's" main point--that this flag thing is entirely a manufactured issue--was correct.
It was manufactured by the people who find it offensive.

Do you know how many other extremist groups of different sorts, from the old American Nazis to the Service Workers' Union have displayed the American flag in their demonstrations and rallies? I don't see you recommending that it be banned. Why would that be? :sigh:
The American flag has not been hijacked by any of those groups.

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just to be clear, which political faction was that? ==> Democrats

Again, just to be clear, which political faction is that? ==> Democrats

Seems like there might be a more direct approach to resolving this. The usual path is admission of guilt, followed by atonement for sin.
So the Dixiecrats came from the Democratic party; so.....what's your point?

Ken

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would you think you would need differn't machinery?
It's an ad hoc justification. It doesn't matter if it stands up to even faint scrutiny, the important thing is to say something in response, lest your silence be mistaken for acknowledgment of error.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Ken
I beg to differ. They certainly have made the decision to openly display the American flag during their protests and demonstrations. And why do they do that? Of course it is to say that they are patriotic to be in favor of Hitler or trashing the Wisconsin State Capitol building, or whatever it might have been. So there is a clear "hijacking" of the flag there, if that's the way you want to put it.

But maybe you want to say that they haven't effectively pulled it off--not like the users of the Confederate Battle flag have allegedly done? They didn't really "hijack" it, in other words.

Well, then, you are wrong again.

While some unsavory groups have used it (just like the unsavory ones that have tried to wrap themselves in the American flag have done), that battle flag is the official logo of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a completely normal heritage organization like the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). And the South Carolina issue where this started was...what?? Answer: It's a Confederate VETERANS' monument!

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So the Dixiecrats came from the Democratic party; so.....what's your point?

Ken
Probably that because this is so--and, moreover, it was the Democrats who put the Confederate flag on the SC courthouse and elsewhere during the time of the desegregation struggles--it's quite evident that today's controversy has been contrived by the Democrats for partisan political purposes, to win votes by making it seem that the Republicans, but not they, have some logical reason to disavow it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Probably that because this is so--and, moreover, it was the Democrats who put the Confederate flag on the SC courthouse and elsewhere during the time of the desegregation struggles--it's quite evident that today's controversy has been contrived by the Democrats for partisan political purposes, to win votes by making it seem that the Republicans, but not they, have some logical reason to disavow it.

So who's fighting today to keep the flags up? Democrats or Republicans?

Upvote 0

He is Risen 72

Colossians 2:14 The Law is nailed to the Cross!!
Sep 3, 2013
Michigan
✟27,787.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Ken

2ex4zrb.jpg

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I beg to differ. They certainly have made the decision to openly display the American flag during their protests and demonstrations. And why do they do that? Of course it is to say that they are patriotic to be in favor of Hitler or trashing the Wisconsin State Capitol building, or whatever it might have been. So there is a clear "hijacking" of the flag there, if that's the way you want to put it.

But maybe you want to say that they haven't effectively pulled it off--not like the users of the Confederate Battle flag have allegedly done? They didn't really "hijack" it, in other words.

Well, then, you are wrong again.

While some unsavory groups have used it (just like the unsavory ones that have tried to wrap themselves in the American flag have done), that battle flag is the official logo of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a completely normal heritage organization like the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). And the South Carolina issue where this started was...what?? Answer: It's a Confederate VETERANS' monument!
Whistling Dixie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟293,730.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Because it's easier to find rectangular flags than square flags.

I bet the machines are adjustable.

Given that if you can produce a rectangle you can produce a square by cutting it a bit shorter.

Also given that we've been working with fabrics for a few eons now.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The American flag has not been hijacked by the KKK because the American flag is used by lots of groups during parades, it was especially used by Civil Rights groups while protesting what the KKK stood for. The reason the Confederate flag is seen by many as being hijacked by the KKK and other Caucasians racist groups is because those type of groups are seen using that flag more than any other flag.

Ken

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2010
New York, New York
✟33,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It shouldn't fly over official buildings. That's odd and unnecessary. It's a bit hypocritical for all the online retailers to stop selling it when they still sell Che shirts and even antique Nazi memorabilia. I can understand why some people are attached to it and feel like it gives their region dignity, but since so many people find it racist it seems like it's unnecessary.

Upvote 0

HannahElizaW

God Says It, THAT Settles It!
Feb 11, 2015
Oklahoma, USA
✟16,471.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Butting in:

I live in Oklahoma, USA. Confederate flags are almost as "normal" as racism goes. There are days where, at work especially, I feel like I'm the only one against the confederate flag. By no means do I consider myself a "proud southener". Racism is terrible. Keep the flags down.

:butting ouT

Upvote 0