United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
I'm not disbelieving you here, but can you provide a more definitive source than two unattributed .jpgs?

Milla, you're kidding? :scratch:

kkkflag3.jpg

kkkflag4.jpg

kkkflag5.jpg

kkkflag6.jpg

kkkflag7.jpg

kkkflag8.jpg

kkkflag9.jpg

flag010.jpg

flag011.jpg

kkkflag2.jpg

I can't link from a KKK site as it would violate CF Rules, but for anyone who has watched too many Hollywood movies, has a bias against the South or just isn't that informed about the issue, the KKK call themsleves "patriotic Americans." Not Confederates, but Americans. The Stars and Stripes are carried at EVERY ONE of their rallies. How many Confederate flags do you see carried at Michigan KKK rallies anyway? (there might actually be some, but they would be oddly out of place in the north)

For those still curious about the subject and how the KKK isn't even strictly southern, or associated with the Confederate flag......

As well, in the height of the KKK movement, the largest segment was from the north in the 1920's. And the Grand Dragon was from the Federal stronghold of Indiana. A man by the name of David Stevenson. There were over 6 million members at this time

http://www.rulen.com/kkk/

Many Long Island churches eagerly accepted money and other gifts from the Klan, and hardly anyone raised questions of political correctness when school boards welcomed the donation of American flags by KKK members.

http://www.newsday.com/community/gu...,0,7485380.story?coll=ny-lihistory-navigation

The Klan's original 19th century manifestation is not known to have used any flags or symbols. The 20th century version originating in 1915 focused on the use of the American flag and a flag bearing a Christian cross, as is documented in Klan instructional materials and photographs from the 1920s, the Klan's heyday. Some Klan groups in the 1950s and 1960s attempted to usurp the use of the Confederate battle flag (the Southern Cross, not related to the "Stars and Bars" or governmental flag of the Confederacy) in efforts aimed against desegregation and racial integration in the South. This appropriation of Southern symbols has been widely disavowed by historical and heritage activists in the South today. In its current fragmented form, the Klan in some instances continue to use both the Battle Flag and the American flag, but in both instances without official sanction.

Klan groups in the 1920s used the movement's official flag, a white field upon which was a black cross, thereupon superimposed a red symbol representing either a flame or a drop of blood (explanations of this symbol vary). Although this emblem is little used by the many splinter "Klan" groups today, it may well be considered the official flag and symbol of the Ku Klux Klan. Although Confederate symbols are sometimes mistakenly associated with the KKK, this usage occurred only in the 1950s and later, and is historically inappropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

I've having a lot of trouble synching this with my own experience, admittedly anecdotal. I've had the Confederate flag hostilely brandished at me innumerable times, but never the US flag, or, for that matter, the Bible.

To use your own words, I'm not disbelieving you, but can you provide any documentation of "hostilely brandished Confederate flag" abuses? The reason I ask is that I've lived in the South my whole life and I have NEVER seen nor heard of even a single person "hostilely" throwing a Confederate flag in someone's face. Strikes me as odd that you have this done to you "innumerable times." Not disbelieving you of course, but I'm finding it hard to swallow.

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
jameseb said:
<snip>

To use your own words, I'm not disbelieving you, but can you provide any documentation of "hostilely brandished Confederate flag" abuses? The reason I ask is that I've lived in the South my whole life and I have NEVER seen nor heard of even a single person "hostilely" throwing a Confederate flag in someone's face. Strikes me as odd that you have this done to you "innumerable times." Not disbelieving you of course, but I'm finding it hard to swallow.

I've no reason to believe the bigots I've met are KKK members; they're independently idiotic or belong to different groups, I think. It's my understanding that some of the groups actually don't get on with the KKK because of ideological differences. The KKK definitely uses a "true American" rhetoric, but there are many other varieties of white supremicist in the American South. My area doesn't seem to have a strong KKK presence, but there is a strong and rather frightening presence of other groups and individuals, and they sure don't use the US flag - I think a lot of them really think that the South is going to rise again or something.

Of course, as a proud Southerner, you're going to find it "hard to swallow." I don't really care whether you believe me, because I know what I say is true. As someone who is percieved as a "foreignah" who works primarily with non-Whites in an academic place of work that is not looked upon fondly by the local bigots, I see a lot.

Perhaps this situation is analagous - when I live in St. Petersburg, I would never know that there are skinheads there. They simply do not interact with my close friends and family, nor do they have any reason to harass me - I speak fluent Russian, I dress in local attire, I have traditionally Slavic appearance. Yet at the university I attended and worked at many students who look or are Kavkazski or African have been beaten and even killed. But I have never even seen a skinhead in the city! But they are there. It is the same, I think, with the US South. I don't think some White southerners who live rather insular lives fully appreciate the depth of that hatred that is there.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Smite me, O Mighty Smiter!
Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
I've no reason to believe the bigots I've met are KKK members; they're independently idiotic or belong to different groups, I think. It's my understanding that some of the groups actually don't get on with the KKK because of ideological differences. The KKK definitely uses a "true American" rhetoric, but there are many other varieties of white supremicist in the American South. My area doesn't seem to have a strong KKK presence, but there is a strong and rather frightening presence of other groups and individuals, and they sure don't use the US flag - I think a lot of them really think that the South is going to rise again or something.

I didn't suggest they were KKK, but you were questioning Spray Bullet's post in regard to the Stars and Stripes and its use by them. Pointing out that small fringe groups use the Confederate flag (and doing so without historical context) in the face of millions of Ku Klux Klan waving the US flat doesn't support the claim people are making that the Stars and Bars is a hate symbol while the Stars and Stripes isn't.

Of course, as a proud Southerner, you're going to find it "hard to swallow."

Really? And why is that? Don't presume to know who I am, Milla. IF I can admit to the poor level of education in the South as compared with the rest of the country and demand changes, and can openly condemn the racist segregational policies of the last century in the South, why on earth would I, as a "proud Southerner," not find "hostile Confederate flag waving" easy to swallow if it is true? I hardly live an insular life down here, and I've been all over the South, throughout the backcountry, and though I've occassionally seen a Confederate flag displayed outside some peoples homes, I've never seen someone "hostilely" thrusting them about in people's faces. I just haven't heard of it. Obviously, I'm not you... you very well could have had this happen to you "innumerable times" as you putted, but I'm just saying I've never seen it.

I don't really care whether you believe me, because I know what I say is true. As someone who is percieved as a "foreignah" who works primarily with non-Whites in an academic place of work that is not looked upon fondly by the local bigots, I see a lot.

Just out of curiosity, how do they percieve you as a foreigner considering you are an American (and being born and bred here, I'm assuming you don't have a recognizable accent)? I don't know many people who can identify Slavic traits.... in fact 99.9999% of people couldn't tell the difference between a Russian and an Irishman by looking at them.

Perhaps this situation is analagous - when I live in St. Petersburg, I would never know that there are skinheads there. They simply do not interact with my close friends and family, nor do they have any reason to harass me - I speak fluent Russian, I dress in local attire, I have traditionally Slavic appearance. Yet at the university I attended and worked at many students who look or are Kavkazski or African have been beaten and even killed. But I have never even seen a skinhead in the city! But they are there. It is the same, I think, with the US South. I don't think some White southerners who live rather insular lives fully appreciate the depth of that hatred that is there.

No, I'm well aware they exist... all over the world, not just the South. What I'm saying is that I had never seen it (the "innumerable hostile flag waving" )myself nor heard of such a thing my whole life here. I hardly live an insular life here. I don't think you should try to write Southerns off simply because they have never been witness to actions you are describing. What it does say is that such instances are extremely rare. Apparently there's more KKK members throughout the North, so perhaps the North has greater issues than us in this regard.

Anyway, the issue is the Confederate flag and if it is or is not a "hate symbol" in the eyes of the participants here. My introduction of the Bible and the US flag were to counter arguments that the Confederate flag is a hate symbol. As has been provided in past posts, hate groups have used all three in support of their causes as well as all three of them being tied to slavery. So I still ask the question.... why the doublestandards?

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
jameseb said:
Just out of curiosity, how do they percieve you as a foreigner considering you are an American (and being born and bred here, I'm assuming you don't have a recognizable accent)? I don't know many people who can identify Slavic traits.... in fact 99.9999% of people couldn't tell the difference between a Russian and an Irishman by looking at them.

Speaking of not presuming to know about someone...now, I know I've explained this to you several times, but I was born in the the US, ergo I have US citizenship. We moved away from the US. I spent my formative years abroad. I moved back to the US for work and school about a year and a half ago. I speak fluent if somewhat stilted English, but with a strong accent, and I'm a bit out-of-the-loop on many American cultural references/cues, especially those of the deep south (most of my time in the US had been spent in the North, in predominantly Slavic communities.)
The rest of my post was not a dig on White southerners in general, merely those who are insular, either purposefully closing their eyes or through sheer ignorance - a problem nation and indeed world-wide, but one I have never seen with such stunning clarity except in the US South. If you're not one of those people, hooray for you, cue the confetti. Others are.

The reason I'm harsher on the Confederate flag than the US flag is two-fold - for one, in my personal experience, only a very small percent of the people using it are displaying for reasons other than a belief in their own superiority as Anglo-Saxon Southerners. Secondly, it's the flag of a dead nation. I'm willing to cut the US fllag a bit of slack because it's the symbol of a currently extant and evolving nation. That said, I do dislike the way many use the US flag - as a badge of better-than-thou closed-eyed "patriotism", which may or may not include bigotry. On the other hand, the US is still progressing, and one can maintain hope that the US will continue to (or come to, depending on your beliefs about the current state of the union) stand for things which are worth proclaiming with pride.

As I've said before, the Bible is, imo, an entirely different kettle of fish, being a book. A flag is nothing more than a symbol, but a book, while it can be used as a symbol, is much more than that. By reading a book, we can draw our own conclusions about what the author is saying, but a flag means nothing but what the people who wave it say it means.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
Speaking of not presuming to know about someone...now, I know I've explained this to you several times, but I was born in the the US, ergo I have US citizenship. We moved away from the US. I spent my formative years abroad. I moved back to the US for work and school about a year and a half ago. I speak fluent if somewhat stilted English, but with a strong accent, and I'm a bit out-of-the-loop on many American cultural references/cues, especially those of the deep south (most of my time in the US had been spent in the North, in predominantly Slavic communities.)

Actually, you haven't ever explained that to me. You did once state you were American to me once, but my confusion stemmed from some of your posts. Often I've read where you discuss the US as if you were not here, while also mentioning you were going to school in St. Petersburg. Perhaps you were referring to your highschool years, but this all lead to my general confusion.

Regardless, I wasn't addressing your personal history... I was curious how these local bigots you referred to knew you as a "foreigner"... and that was simply born of minor and off-topic curiousity. Anyway, I didn't intend to start a debate about your heritage, so forgive my sidetrack.

The rest of my post was not a dig on White southerners in general, merely those who are insular, either purposefully closing their eyes or through sheer ignorance - a problem nation and indeed world-wide, but one I have never seen with such stunning clarity except in the US South. If you're not one of those people, hooray for you, cue the confetti. Others are.

Mmm, its like those in Russia who still call for the return of the Czars, waving a Russian flag that flew over tyranny and hate as well, or those hundreds of thousands who long for the days of Red Russia and hail mass-butchers like Stalin who murdered millions of Soviet citizens. Every country has its idiosyncrasies, but for me the purposeful closing of eyes or sheer ignorance, as you put it, has never blazed with such utter clarity as it has right in the heart of Russia itself. But this isn't a discussion about eye-closing Russians nor Southerners. Just an issue of whether or not a flag can be a "hate symbol."

The reason I'm harsher on the Confederate flag than the US flag is two-fold - for one, in my personal experience, only a very small percent of the people using it are displaying for reasons other than a belief in their own superiority as Anglo-Saxon Southerners. Secondly, it's the flag of a dead nation. I'm willing to cut the US fllag a bit of slack because it's the symbol of a currently extant and evolving nation. That said, I do dislike the way many use the US flag - as a badge of better-than-thou closed-eyed "patriotism", which may or may not include bigotry.

I've never known a nation that didn't have people that took a certain zeal in waving their flag patriotically. As for the Confederate flag, it matters not if the flag represents a nation that has disappeared. Its actually irrelevant.... to us it is about our heritage, not an active government. To draw a comparrison, you use the Russian flag icon... though you are not Russian, it represents your heritage or pride.

On the other hand, the US is still progressing, and one can maintain hope that the US will continue to (or come to, depending on your beliefs about the current state of the union) stand for things which are worth proclaiming with pride.

Well, we can certainly hope that Russia too will strive to "progress" as much as we have.

As I've said before, the Bible is, imo, an entirely different kettle of fish, being a book. A flag is nothing more than a symbol, but a book, while it can be used as a symbol, is much more than that. By reading a book, we can draw our own conclusions about what the author is saying, but a flag means nothing but what the people who wave it say it means.

The Bible is as much a symbol to hate groups as the Confederate flag ever was... in fact, more so. I doubt there are many people who aren't familiar with the Bible's references to master and slave.... verses that hate groups have long, long used to support their belief that there is nothing wrong with the practice, and use it to in their own warped interpretation to support that some people are superior to others. Those verses in the Bible certainly make it very, very un-PC.

Upvote 0

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mhatten said:
You James this is my thought exactly:

Anonymous blessers... I demand you reveal yourselves to me! :mad: (But thank you so much for the gifts and blessings! :hug: :) )

Don't you hate that? ;) :)

:wave:

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
jameseb said:
Mmm, its like those in Russia who still call for the return of the Czars, waving a Russian flag that flew over tyranny and hate as well, or those hundreds of thousands who long for the days of Red Russia and hail mass-butchers like Stalin who murdered millions of Soviet citizens. Every country has its idiosyncrasies, but for me the purposeful closing of eyes or sheer ignorance, as you put it, has never blazed with such utter clarity as it has right in the heart of Russia itself. But this isn't a discussion about eye-closing Russians nor Southerners. Just an issue of whether or not a flag can be a "hate symbol."

Hm. Not sure what point you're trying to make here, Eric. I think you're purposely trying to offend me, but you missed the mark a bit - I'd put the US and the RF about equal on the FUBAR scale. I'm not particularly attached to either. You missed the mark on your reference, though, too - while it's true that there are people who long for a return to tsarist or Soviet times, the history generally isn't viewed with quite the same romantic foggy lens that I have observed folks using to observe the Confederate South. Russians know full well that the USSR and the Empire were lousy. It's just a matter of whether it's lousier now in the RF or was it lousier back then. I personally think the RF is headed in a better direction, but then again, I'm not a disabled war veteran begging in the street for food because the country that was supposed to provide my pension no longer exists, so it's easy for me to not mourn the passing of the USSR much.

I've never known a nation that didn't have people that took a certain zeal in waving their flag patriotically. As for the Confederate flag, it matters not if the flag represents a nation that has disappeared. Its actually irrelevant.... to us it is about our heritage, not an active government. To draw a comparrison, you use the Russian flag icon... though you are not Russian, it represents your heritage or pride.

No pride or heritage. Just affiliation. And you'll note that above my post it's a flag currently in use, not a historical one, like the Confederate flag. The RF's flag not my heritage. How could it be? The country, the RF, didn't exist when I was born, when my parents were born, when my grandparents were born. I've little attachment to it, or to the flags that preceeded it - none really represent my experience. I don't see how the Confederate flag relates to anyone currently living's experience, either. It seems a bit odd to me that people would choose to represent their "heritage or pride" with a flag of a pseudo-nation in which their great-to-the-x-degree-grandparents may have lived and participated for the few years of its existence, especially when they KNOW that said flag is very offensive to many of their fellow countrymen and women.

Well, we can certainly hope that Russia too will strive to "progress" as much as we have.

See, I think this is supposed to be a dig too, but...yeah, I do hope the RF will progress to at least the US's level of economic strength. I hope it follows a different model of governance, though - the disturbing trend of corporate governance is spreading through the New Russia much as it has the US, and I don't like it a bit. One hopes that Putin's attacks on the oligarchy may have curbed this tendency at least somewhat, although his own autocratic tendencies are barely preferable (and somewhat comparable to current US trends as well, I might add, but that's a topic for another thread). I would like to see a government in the RF far more progressive than that of the USA. Again, a topic for another thread, so I'm not sure why you brought it up here.

The Bible is as much a symbol to hate groups as the Confederate flag ever was... in fact, more so. I doubt there are many people who aren't familiar with the Bible's references to master and slave.... verses that hate groups have long, long used to support their belief that there is nothing wrong with the practice, and use it to in their own warped interpretation to support that some people are superior to others. Those verses in the Bible certainly make it very, very un-PC.

The problem is that many of these people who are "familiar with the Bible's references to master and slave" are not familiar with history. Judaic concepts of slavery were far different from those applied to the enslaved Africans in the New World, in terms of heritibility, rights of the enslaved, obligations of the master and slave, to name a few aspects. But again, that's rather off topic. I know it's been discussed in other threads on this forum, but perhaps it's time to restart that discussion and refresh people's memories.

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
Backing up a bit, I have a question which I will ask. Is other people's perception ever enough of a reason to make a decision?

I don't know enough about the history of the US to make any kind of intelligent contribution here but I do know that Canada had slavery too. And I would bet that at least 95% of the people on this thread said "what?". Well, it is true... but because we are here to the North and we didn't fight a civil war that has since been constructed as being about slavery, that piece of our history is largely forgotten. As that is the case, the Canadian flag does not get associated with slavery by anyone that I have ever met.... this is of course aided by our history as the ultimate destination of the underground railway.

Anyway, as some of you know, I was born into a Jewish family and have always identified myself as Jewish... even when that identity was hyphenated with words such as secular, humanist, agnostic and Christian (not ever Messianic).... anyway, I assume that many of you also know that the swastika has been a very powerful symbol in many cultures/religions including Buddhism, Jainism, Hinduism and among several First Nations such as the Navajo. Now, in Navajo tradition, as I understand it, the swastika (although I am quite sure that it has another name that I do not know... and couldn't find just now) is associated with very positive things.... I am getting to a point here. I promise.

Okay, if I lived in Arizona, and I was walking downtown... and to promote a concert, a Navajo band put up posters that had a picture of them in front of a big swastika... would I have to right to be upset? Knowing what we know about the different ways that a Jew and a Navajo will see the swastika, is it just a matter of respect for the Navajo to keep that symbol out of public view.... OR, should I simply realize that the symbol means a very different thing and learn to walk on by without thinking twice.... keeping in mind that whatever you tell me about what the swastika means to the Navajo, every time I see it I can only see Jews being loaded into trains and gassed to death.

I don't know the right answer to this question although I certainly lean one way (obviously)....

Reactions: praying
Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jonathan David said:
Okay, if I lived in Arizona, and I was walking downtown... and to promote a concert, a Navajo band put up posters that had a picture of them in front of a big swastika... would I have to right to be upset? Knowing what we know about the different ways that a Jew and a Navajo will see the swastika, is it just a matter of respect for the Navajo to keep that symbol out of public view.... OR, should I simply realize that the symbol means a very different thing and learn to walk on by without thinking twice.... keeping in mind that whatever you tell me about what the swastika means to the Navajo, every time I see it I can only see Jews being loaded into trains and gassed to death.

I think the question you pose really is the heart of the argument. I really can see the other side, but as one can probably infer from my posts, I think that your theoretical concert-promoters certainly have the RIGHT - both by virtue of their free speech and by virtue of the personal meaning of the symbol - to post the image. But having the right do do something doesn't make it right to do so. The theoretical people posting the theoretical posters know that that's what others are going to see, know that it will cause others deep discomfort, even fear or serious pain. Most any nation has so many symbols, emblems, icons, that it could use that seems to me deeply inappropriate to choose to use the one that you know seriously alienates your fellow man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Milla said:
I think the question you pose really is the heart of the argument. I really can see the other side, but as one can probably infer from my posts, I think that your theoretical concert-promoters certainly have the RIGHT - both by virtue of their free speech and by virtue of the personal meaning of the symbol - to post the image. But having the right do do something doesn't make it right to do so. The theoretical people posting the theoretical posters know that that's what others are going to see, know that it will cause others deep discomfort, even fear or serious pain. Most any nation has so many symbols, emblems, icons, that it could use that seems to me deeply inappropriate to choose to use the one that you know seriously alienates your fellow man.

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Upvote 0

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Milla said:
Most any nation has so many symbols, emblems, icons, that it could use that seems to me deeply inappropriate to choose to use the one that you know seriously alienates your fellow man.

Even if that alienation is a misunderstanding? And what about those who attack the symbol because of such a misunderstanding? Aren't they alienating those who identify with the symbol?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jameseb

Mar 3, 2004
North Little Rock, AR
✟116,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not a flag of traitors.... They (Confederates) were a legitimate country unto themselves. There was no Constitutional grounds for preventing the states from succeeding. Look it up. In fact, the Constitution quite clearly states that powers not delegated within the Constitution reside solely with the states. Furthermore, US troops defied demands from the Confederacy to withdraw from their soil. The presence of foreign troops on Confederate soil, who would not depart at the behest of the southern government, is tantamount to war in and of itself. They made the first aggressive move by parking on Confederate soil.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

jameseb said:
It is not a flag of traitors.... They (Confederates) were a legitimate country unto themselves. There was no Constitutional grounds for preventing the states from succeeding. Look it up. In fact, the Constitution quite clearly states that powers not delegated within the Constitution reside solely with the states. Furthermore, US troops defied demands from the Confederacy to withdraw from their soil. The presence of foreign troops on Confederate soil, who would not depart at the behest of the southern government, is ...tantamount to war in and of itself. They made the first aggressive move by parking on Confederate soil.

Here Here! You have sense my friend!

"Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing governmet, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right, a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world."
On the floor of Congress 1847------Abraham Lincoln

Reactions: jameseb
Upvote 0