Confederate Flag.

G

Grace_of_God

I think it is a symbol of history, not one of hate. Unlike other symbols, such as the swastika (which started out as a peace symbol in the far East), I don't think the Confederate flag was actually used AS a symbol of hate. From what I know, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, it seems to just be associated with the South in those times, and therefore generally has a negative connotation to it. I don't think the flag itself is associated with hate though......Just my opinion though of course. I can certainly understand why some people WOULD associate it with that, I just don't... God bless! In Christ,
~Grace~

Upvote 0

Nightstrike

Christian Paintballer and Martial Artist
Dec 5, 2003
✟604.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I hate it.....
and its accually a common misconception of the swastika that its a peace symbol the reversed swastika is but the one the nazi's used is accually a "magical weapon"
I wouldn encourage you to NOT find out what that means, but I got that from aliestar crowley.
the confederate flag.
I call it a redneck flag I usually see hung by racists.

Upvote 0

Peiper

rationalist libertarian
Mar 26, 2004
Chicago
✟15,854.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
All throughout history, symbols have been misappropriated and misused. For example, the Klan’s use of the Christian cross.

The Confederate Flag is as much a symbol of oppression to the African Americans, as the American Flag is a symbol of oppression to the Native Americans and the African Americans. All symbols will have their detractors.

Personally, I see the Confederate Flag as a symbol of the cultural uniqueness of the South. It also symbolizes States Rights, versus the American Flag, which symbolizes a strong Federal government. The War Between the States was a Constitutional crisis, and it speaks volumes that it is still a subject of debate whether or not Lincoln acted appropriately (Constitutionally speaking).

Reactions: Street Smarts
Upvote 0
G

Grace_of_God

Nightstrike said:
I call it a redneck flag I usually see hung by racists.
Hmmmm.....interesting theory. Well, my Mom is a non-racist Nova Scotian, and she has a confederate flag on her fridge. It has nothing to do with racism--she bought it because she is obsessed with the South and this is a symbol of that for her. Some use it as a racism symbol, maybe most actually. Just as MOST use the swastika as a hate symbol, although not all do (and I personally DO see the swastika as a negative symbol, btw, but just saying that there ARE some out there who use it as a religious and cultural symbol of peace). However, the flag isn't a universally racist flag. It is just the connotation given to it by so many because of the South's past. Just because the flag exists in say, a house somewhere, does not mean that the owner is a racist just a-waiting for slavery to come back in style. :) (Btw, I am not trying to be sarcastic, please don't take it as such, just making a point that if you see a Confederate flag, don't wrongly accuse someone of being a racist, unless you know for sure. The Bible does say not to bear false witness against our neighbours afterall....)

Reactions: BallRmDChamp
Upvote 0
G

Grace_of_God

Peiper said:
All throughout history, symbols have been misappropriated and misused. For example, the Klan’s use of the Christian cross.
Yes EXACTLY! But we all know that the REAL meaning of the cross is one of love and peace. It just happens to be an unfortunate fact that there will always be people out there who distort all good things into something bad.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

The CSA flag is just a flag, of a nation once trying to be its own. Some people in the South hated black people some didn't. There is hate any were you go. I mean if I were a Native American i would hate the US flag I mean didn't they kill all the Indians, Yes. That doesn't mean that every one in the Union hated Indians, just like the South. Hey by the the way Pres. Lincons(spelling?) own state was the last state int he Union and the South to free slaves. Heriage not Hate.(the KKK always takes with them a US flag btw)

May the peace of out Lord be with you all.

Upvote 0

towodi

Pagan & Proud
May 22, 2004
✟286.00
Faith
Pagan
Some people in the South hated black people some didn't.
Some people in the north hated blacks, too. You should read some of the first-hand accounts from soldiers and people back home when the Civil War first started. Some of them are PG-13, for sure.

I mean if I were a Native American i would hate the US flag
I don't hate the US flag; I am an American after all. However, I don't revere it much either. When I see it, it reminds me to not trust the government. I have hundreds of years of betrayals and injustices running in my blood, no way am I trusting the government.

In answer to the original post, I think the Confederate flag is a historical symbol now. It was a battle flag back in the day. It has been used by racists, but so have other symbols. A lot of the KKKers are Christians. One of the head guys lives near me, and he is a deacon in his church, well-respected and everything. He is also responsible for terrorizing some black people who lived in the area a few years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

armyman_83

hemis said:
It is usually represented as southern pride by those in the lower economic/social classes.
Watch your tounge buddist, I don't diss your god or your people so why do you do diss my people? I mean not all low class people take it as a symble of pride. If you were a Southerner you would understand but you don't. Sorry if I sound mad and angry but I am, forgive me. (Oh yea if your gonna say that budda is not a god and just a thought or what not then fine I dont know much about budda and wish not too.)

Upvote 0

Inge87

I sing a song of the saints of God...
Jul 11, 2004
Flower Mound, Tx (DFW)
✟2,553.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The stars and bars are a historical symbol. The South was not all about slavery, but also about states' rights and other issues. In general, we Southerners are very traditional and think highly of our ansestors and history. The holding onto the flag is simply one of the results of these characteristics.

On a side note, when I was in Titisee, Germany this summer, they had Confederate flags for sale along with other local and international flags for around nine Euros. They obviously don't see it as something prejudicial or racist (Germany has very strict rules relating to those kind of things).

In short, there is nothing wrong with the stars and bars.

Reactions: DixieBelle
Upvote 0

Rolf Ernst

Apr 13, 2004
✟1,350.00
Faith
Calvinist
The confederate flag and the battle flag of the confederacy are different flags. The REAL confederate flag is known as the third national flag of the confederacy.

There are people who have used the battle flag inappropriately and by doing so, they have cast disrepute upon the South, but I think they are beginning to realize that they do not represent the south OR the confederacy and so they are no longer carrying it. I am referring to the KKK which has its own flag.

There has been much more hatred expressed by those who despise the south than has ever been expressed by those who love the south, the cause for which their ancestors fought, and their nation's flag.

As an example of the insane fury of south-hating bigots, just ask one of those who rages against the flag, "Why did the South seek to be free from the north?"

When the bigot says "because they wanted slaves," just ask them, "why, then, did West Virginia, a slave state, fight against the south alongside union forces?" "Why didn't Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation declare slaves in the north to be free?"
"Why didn't the Union's General Grant free his own slaves before making war against the south?"

They won't be able to tell you why the south really fought for independence from the north, but that won't matter to them. they just know they are supposed to hate the south, and to them, that is all that matters.

Reactions: Street Smarts
Upvote 0

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
As a symbol, it means whatever you view it to mean. It's sad how racist people have hijacked a perfectly fine symbol of the Old South. The flag itself wasn't created to stand for racism. It was just a design of a battle flag, centered around the St. Andrew's cross. There've been several different battle flags. The one that's so controversial was the last one to be used (At least, I believe so).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DixieBelle

Veteran
Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
✟8,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Rolf Ernst said:
The confederate flag and the battle flag of the confederacy are different flags. The REAL confederate flag is known as the third national flag of the confederacy.

There are people who have used the battle flag inappropriately and by doing so, they have cast disrepute upon the South, but I think they are beginning to realize that they do not represent the south OR the confederacy and so they are no longer carrying it. I am referring to the KKK which has its own flag.

There has been much more hatred expressed by those who despise the south than has ever been expressed by those who love the south, the cause for which their ancestors fought, and their nation's flag.

As an example of the insane fury of south-hating bigots, just ask one of those who rages against the flag, "Why did the South seek to be free from the north?"

When the bigot says "because they wanted slaves," just ask them, "why, then, did West Virginia, a slave state, fight against the south alongside union forces?" "Why didn't Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation declare slaves in the north to be free?"
"Why didn't the Union's General Grant free his own slaves before making war against the south?"

They won't be able to tell you why the south really fought for independence from the north, but that won't matter to them. they just know they are supposed to hate the south, and to them, that is all that matters.
Could not agree more!

Upvote 0

Prometheus_ash

Metaphysical Bet Taker
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟15,999.00
Faith
Agnostic
I think I agree with author Sarah Vowell on this one.

Mostly that the [confederate] flag does have historical heritage in it, but also stands out as a symbol of anger and hate, as the civil war does as well. The south suceeded, well at least in part- becuse of differences in slavey. NOt to say that some of the north didn't agree, but they sure as heck were unwilling to allow the nation to be split in two. But mostly, it seems like southerners that have it, (like those that lobied so ahrd a few years back to keep it on their state flag) are just sore loosers (IMO).

Upvote 0

DixieBelle

Veteran
Oct 21, 2003
Visit site
✟8,880.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Sore loosers?? Do you have any idea of what Southern people have gone through because the Union refused to let the South leave in peace? We are proud of the heritage that we have...a heritage of standing up for what we believe to be right and fair (like separating ourselves from a government that did not have our best interests in mind) and we are proud of those who fought to protect their homeland from invasion. We may have lost the war, honey, but we did not lose our identity, and that is what angers people outside of the South...the fact that we have the "audacity" to not bow down to the North and blindly accept the myths and half-truths it has tried to pass off as history.

Reactions: vatuck
Upvote 0