Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Would it be correct to say that the condition of the Covenant of Grace is the active and passive obedience of Jesus Christ?

The WCF says that "...he freely offereth unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ; requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved, and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing, and able to believe." (WCF 7.3)

Faith is obviously involved. We must have faith in Jesus in order to have an interest in him. But God also supplies the faith. So faith must be an instrument by which we receive Christ, and not the condition of the Covenant. The condition of the Covenant is Jesus' obedience. It is by Jesus' obedience that we are given the grace to believe.

Am I wrong?

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would it be correct to say that the condition of the Covenant of Grace is the active and passive obedience of Jesus Christ?

The WCF says that "...he freely offereth unto sinners life and salvation by Jesus Christ; requiring of them faith in him, that they may be saved, and promising to give unto all those that are ordained unto eternal life his Holy Spirit, to make them willing, and able to believe." (WCF 7.3)

Faith is obviously involved. We must have faith in Jesus in order to have an interest in him. But God also supplies the faith. So faith must be an instrument by which we receive Christ, and not the condition of the Covenant. The condition of the Covenant is Jesus' obedience. It is by Jesus' obedience that we are given the grace to believe.

Am I wrong?
1 John chapter 4 verse 7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
1 John chapter 4 verse 7
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.

You don't appear to be a Presbyterian ;-)

Are you suggesting that the condition of our salvation is that we love God?

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't appear to be a Presbyterian ;-)

Are you suggesting that the condition of our salvation is that we love God?
Yes.

Matthew chapter 25 verses 31-46
When the Son of Man comes" in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. he will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. then the righteous will answer him, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and got visit you? The King will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.They also will answer, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you? He will reply, I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12
Love covers all wrongs.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers a great many sins.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟28,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I sometimes think of what the Judgment Day will be like, when Father Yahweh will go over what we did in this life, and weigh out our works whether they're good or bad.

It's less about the works themselves, and more about how we responded to them while in this life, whether we were genuinely repentant for the mistakes, and truly thankful to Him for the successes.

On that great and terrible Day, when He extends grace to a sinner, it means that He exempts them from suffering the penalty of breaking His Law.

And with the exception of Yahushua Christ Himself, everyone of us needs His grace to be saved, because we fail to meet the requirements of His Law.

The gospel outlines the details of obtaining grace from Yahweh.

However, there are those whom He does not and will not extend grace to.

Paul mentions these conditions for us:

2 Thessalonians 1:
7 ..when the Lord Yahushua shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Yahushua Christ:

9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.​

So I would say faith is a part of obeying. I like how John puts it also:

1 John 5:
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.​

4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.​

Thanks for reading my thoughts on the matter!

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dag. My love for the Lord is very imperfect. In fact, many times I don't love him at all! How strong does my love for the Lord have to be in order for me to be saved?
It's up to God not me, I only know what the bible says.
1 John chapter 4 verse 7

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dag. My love for the Lord is very imperfect. In fact, many times I don't love him at all! How strong does my love for the Lord have to be in order for me to be saved?
khehe I dare you to ask Him ...

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Am I wrong?

I believe you are correct, that faith is a condition by which we receive faith, both the condition and the faith are gifts of God.

London Baptist Confession of Faith:

This saving repentance is an evangelical grace, whereby a person, being by the Holy Spirit made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin, doth, by faith in Christ, humble himself for it with godly sorrow, detestation of it, and self-abhorrency, praying for pardon and strength of grace, with a purpose and endeavour, by supplies of the Spirit, to walk before God unto all well-pleasing in all things. ( Zechariah 12:10; Acts 11:18; Ezekiel 36:31; 2 Corinthians 7:11; Psalms 119:6; Psalms 119:128 ) chp. 15.3

John Gill:

Special faith in Christ is of the operation of the Spirit of God:
he produces it by his mighty power in the soul;
he enlightens the mind,
reveals the object,
brings near Christ, his righteousness and salvation, and
enables the sensible sinner to look unto him,
lay hold on him,
and receive his as his Savior and Redeemer;
hence he is called the Spirit of faith (2 Cor. 4:13);
because he is the author of it, who begins and carries on, and
will perform the work of faith with power:
the principal use of which grace is to receive all from Christ, and
give him the glory.

God has put this honor upon it, to constitute and appoint it to be the receiver-general of all the blessings of grace.

It receives Christ himself as the Father’s free-gift;
it receives out of the fulness of Christ,
even grace for grace,
or and abundance of it;
it receives the blessing of righteousness from the Lord of justification;
it receives the remission of sins through his blood, according to the gospel-declaration;
it receives the adoption of children,
in consequence of the way being opened for it through the redemption which is in Christ;
it receives the inheritance among them that are sanctified,
the right unto it, and the claim upon it; and to this post it is advanced,
that all the glory might redound to the grace of God; it is of faith, that it might be by grace (Rom. 4:16).

(FAITH IN GOD AND HIS WORD: HE ESTABLISHMENT AND PROSPERITY OF HIS PEOPLE: A Sermon, Preached at a Wednesday’s Evening Lecture, in GREAT EAST-CHEAP, Dec. 27, 1753.)

Again, The London Baptist Confession of 1689 reads;

ch.14

The grace of faith, whereby the elect are enabled to believe to the saving of their souls, is the work of the Spirit of Christ in their hearts,”

“By this faith a Christian believeth to be true whatsoever is revealed in the Word for the authority of God himself”

“and so is enabled to cast his soul upon the truth thus believed”

ch.15
“This saving repentance is an evangelical grace, whereby a person, being by the Holy Spirit made sensible of the manifold evils of his sin”

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The substance of the covenant of grace—Christ with all His gracious benefits—is unconditional in a vitally important sense because grace is promised to and conferred on the elect to fulfill whatever is of a conditional nature in the administration of the covenant (see Larger Catechism answer 32).

This is true under all its administrations in both Old and New Testaments (WLC 33). It is not unique to the new covenant (WLC 34-35). The outward administration of the covenant includes conditions, as well as warnings against apostasy, and extends to elect and reprobate. The new covenant is not different in this respect, as is clear from 1 Corinthians 10, Hebrews 10, 2 Peter 2, among other passages.

Turretin:
...if the covenant be viewed in relation to the first sanction in Christ, it has no previous condition, but rests upon the grace of God and the merit of Christ alone. But if it is considered in relation to its acceptance and application to the believer, it has faith as a condition (uniting man to Christ and so bringing him into the fellowship of the covenant)

Hodge:
The condition of the covenant of grace, so far as adults are concerned, is faith in Christ. That is, in order to partake of the benefits of this covenant we must receive the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God in whom and for whose sake its blessings are vouchsafed to the children of men. Until we thus believe we are aliens and strangers from the covenant of promise, without God and without Christ.

We must acquiesce in this covenant, renouncing all other methods of salvation, and consenting to be saved on the terms which it proposes, before we are made partakers of its benefits. The word "condition," however, is used in two senses.

Sometimes it means the meritorious consideration on the ground of which certain benefits are bestowed. In this sense perfect obedience was the condition of the covenant originally made with Adam. Had he retained his integrity he would have merited the promised blessing. For to him that worketh the reward is not of grace but of debt.

In the same sense the work of Christ is the condition of the covenant of redemption. It was the meritorious ground, laying a foundation in justice for the fulfillment of the promises made to Him by the Father. But in other cases, by condition we merely mean a sine qua non. A blessing may be promised on condition that it is asked for; or that there is a willingness to receive it. There is no merit in the asking or in the willingness, which is the ground of the gift. It remains a gratuitous favour; but it is, nevertheless, suspended upon the act of asking.

It is in this last sense only that faith is the condition of the covenant of grace. There is no merit in believing. It is only the act of receiving a proffered favour. In either case the necessity is equally absolute. Without the work of Christ there would be no salvation; and without faith there is no salvation. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life. He that believeth not, shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him (Systematic Theology).

The Reformed distinguish between antecedent and a priori conditions of the covenant of grace, antecedent referring to a meritorious cause for a covenant to be fulfilled.

In that sense the covenant of grace is unconditional, it is all the work of Christ. But when we speak of the necessity of faith to receive the benefits of the covenant, then we are referring to the a priori condition, which refers to the means or instrument the covenant must be received, but even then God grants faith as a gift which is the blessing we receive because of the covenant Christ fulfilled for us.

See also Fisher:
Fisher's Question 20

Last edited:
Upvote 0