Concerning Grape Juice and the Eucharist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can Grape Juice be used licitly in the consecration of the Eucharist in place of wine? I've read in various place, that the Eucharistic Consecration would be invalid. The only exceptions, I've read of are mustum wine, or wine preserved with a very small amount of alcohol, and a NOT pasteurized. So can Grape Juice being utilized in place of wine made from grapes, be consecrated into Christ's Blood OR would such a utilization result in invalid matter, and ergo, idol worship due to invalid matter NOT resulting in Christ's Blood being made, but only Grape juice being offered to the faithful?

Pax Christi,
Matthew

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, in certain situations grape juice can be used. Case in point when a priest is a recovering alcoholic and cannot drink anything with alcohol in it.

I believe there has to be permission from a Bishop for this to happen but I know it is allowed in some circumstances.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Ah, but would it result in an invalid Eucharist?, and ergo, consecration wouldn't take place, thus resulting in the faithful merely having GRAPE JUICE to partake of or would it be perfectly valid?

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I know Mustum which is NON-pasteurized wine with a minimum amount of alcohol content Less than 1% approximately, that is, it is preserved by means of freezing or a method which does not alter the fundamental stucture or nature of the wine, and which does not have ANY additives, can be utilized, but I do NOT Think Grape Juice as in Pasteurized Grape Juice with NO alcohol content would allow for the valid consecration of the Holy Eucharist. I had read about this in a few articles, however, I would be much obliged, if anyone would be able to help me, by providing an authoritative document from the Magesterium specifying this matter. I have looked, but as of yet, I've yet to find it.

Upvote 0

colleen

We are an Easter people!
Mar 8, 2002
✟21,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, in certain situations grape juice can be used. Case in point when a priest is a recovering alcoholic and cannot drink anything with alcohol in it.

I believe there has to be permission from a Bishop for this to happen but I know it is allowed in some circumstances.
please post a church related document that contains this info, because from everything I've been taught that is incorrect

Upvote 0

PetertheRock

Mar 25, 2005
Falmouth Maine
✟4,316.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just checked some sources and it seems you are correct. I guess alcoholic priests are allowed to consecrate just the bread or what's more recommended is to con-celebrate Mass with another priest so another priest could consume the blood.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
I just checked some sources and it seems you are correct. I guess alcoholic priests are allowed to consecrate just the bread or what's more recommended is to con-celebrate Mass with another priest so another priest could consume the blood.

Keep saying that. I like hearing it. :D ^_^ :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Actually I read that priest must consume, both The Sacred Host and the Precious Blood of Christ, he cannot omit consuming either one from what I've read. ---------At least that's what I read.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.