Capitol Hill
✟8,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am very concerned with something and I hope you can give me your advice or at least your prayers.

My family is a good Christian family and I live in a good Christian area. My oldest daughter Lauren is 17 and recently she has been hanging out with a group of kids who I think are gays, and saying things that make me think she is turning into a Lesbian. How can I prevent this from happening before it is too late and she becomes permanently gay? I have tried praying for her but nothing has changed, and telling her to stop hanging out with the gays only makes her want to be with them more. Being a gay is not only sinful but also a very hard life, and I am afraid for her. I love her very much so I am very concerned that she may burn in the fiery pits of Hell...

~Carol

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u

Robienfold Papenfuse

Sep 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I am very concerned with something and I hope you can give me your advice or at least your prayers.

My family is a good Christian family and I live in a good Christian area. My oldest daughter Lauren is 17 and recently she has been hanging out with a group of kids who I think are gays, and saying things that make me think she is turning into a Lesbian. How can I prevent this from happening before it is too late and she becomes permanently gay? I have tried praying for her but nothing has changed, and telling her to stop hanging out with the gays only makes her want to be with them more. Being a gay is not only sinful but also a very hard life, and I am afraid for her. I love her very much so I am very concerned that she may burn in the fiery pits of Hell...

~Carol

Hi Carol I'm so sorry to hear about this. But lets slow it down here. At the beginning of your post you say that you think the group of kids she is spending time with are gays, key word being think. Then as the post goes on you seem to move away from thinking they are gay to flat out calling them gay. Do you know for sure? What makes you think they are gay? And trust me she wont burn in hell for committing sins, we all sin everyday, remember?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟334,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The chief reassurance I can give you is this: Gay doesn't work that way. Sexual orientation is a deeply-rooted thing, established very early in life (possibly by the time you're born). It doesn't change based on something as superficial as who your friends are. Hanging around gay friends doesn't make straight people convert to being gay, just as hanging around straight friends doesn't make gay people convert to being straight.

What is she saying that makes you think she might be lesbian?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

~Carol

Hello Carol, and welcome to CF!

My advice may not sit well with some denominations, but for what it's worth ... (and I have two nearly opposite things to say, so don't assume from the first part ... )

One thing I have seen in public schools is a great deal of encouragement to "experienent" and find out "what you are". As a result, young people are sometimes trying out activities that tantalize them a little, and because we are talking biology, things can be stimulated and feel good even when the person (or thing) does not actually appeal to us in that way. But because it feels good, they assume it is a reflection of who they are. Most of the teens I've seen who do this come to the conclusion that they are bisexual. In reality, I think what they discovered is that certain things can feel good regardless of who is doing it.

Now, for the opposite part. I don't think a person can very often be "turned gay". I'm not wanting to get into the mechanisms and such, but unless there is trauma or an extreme situation, real sexual preference doesn't just happen to switch. (But keeping in mind what I wrote above.)

Lord have mercy, part of the problem I think is that we are often talking about people who are just too young to have sorted everything out, and who are dealing with massive hormonal influence, as well as social/peer influence.

But the real reason I wanted to post is this. And this may be hard to hear, but there is actually a lot of hope in it. For anyone who really absolutely is same-sex attracted, it is not a sin to be attracted. It becomes a sin when those impulses are acted on, because the only ratified sexual activity is between a married husband and wife.

But what that means is that a person who IS same-sex attracted has just as much of a place in receiving God, in being one of His people, and so on. The problem is that their cross is very heavy - they should try to be celibate. Some have gone into lifelong service to God to help keep that control. My heart actually goes out to anyone with that problem.

(And keep in mind, we also should not commit adultery, or fornicate, or be prideful, or a host of other things. Same-sex attraction is not some special class of sin somehow worse than all others. They are all sin. It's just a heavy cross in their case.)

And the reason I said all of that, is that if it were me, I would want to have a talk with my daughter.

(By the way, my daughter was essentially kidnapped by her father and I didn't see her for a few years - I was so stressed and worried if she was ok and trying to contact her ... she came back into my life at 16, and her father had told her so many terrible lies about me ... it was strained between us. She actually told me that she was gay - just to see how I would react, apparently, because she expected me to reject her because I was Christian .... so ... I have just a tiny understanding of how some of this feels.)

Anyway, I would have a very frank talk with her. Not condemning those who are same-sex attracted. God does not condemn them. But as you say, it is VERY HARD for them. If she does not see that it is wrong to engage in same-sex practices, then if it were me, I'd try to have a friendly talk about why she maybe thinks she is.

I work in the school system, and what I wrote above is VERY prevalent here. And kids talked about it all the time in my hearing. (I was a substitute teacher, so they didn't need to worry about an ongoing opinion of them.) But you might talk to her about those kinds of things happening, and how it can cause confusion, and see if you get anywhere with it.

There is the added titillation factor of it being seen as "sin" or kind of rebellious, etc. that make it more attractive to some teens than they would be otherwise. I don't know if that's a factor or not.

I've also known probably far more than my share of same-sex-attracted persons. For several years my neighbors and best friends were, as are some family members and other friends. And they tend to have more friends the same. I know the history of many of them - they talk to me - and I've seen that often it's there from early childhood. But there are curiosity factors that, if explored, can lead to confusion.

Anyway, I'm speaking again against the idea of people "turning gay" ... I think in reality, that doesn't happen. But being tempted and becoming confused could.

Prayers for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Much of your concerns are based on assumptions. You don't seem to be sure if they are homosexual. You assume your daughter will become gay. You also assume being homosexual is a hard way of life. You assume you have prayed and waited long enough. You assume God can't or won't forgive her.

Being homosexual isn't something that someone turns into. It starts at very early ages. It is true that some kids experiment and explore different lifestyles and sexual orientations. They tend to settle on what feels natural for them, even if they dabble for a little while. Our society and laws are changing in ways that make life in general easier for LGBT than in previous generations. There are still struggles, but not to the extent as there was before.

These things take time. They take a lot of prayer, and a lot of waiting for God to work when the time is right, not when we want. She is only 17. There is plenty of time. She isn't even finished developing into an adult yet, which won't occur until her mid-late 20's. It's not our job to make our kids become the Christian we want them to be. It is our job to love them unconditionally and point them toward God. The rest is up to him. If you are depending on your prayers, teachings, expectations, and plans for your daughter's life, then you are relying on your own strength, and not God.

If you have an extreme reaction to your daughter and her friends, you may be creating more problems for yourself and for her. Trust God with her life. At the age of 17, your influence is not as strong as it was when she 3. It's time to start letting go of some of these major life choices, and let her work it out on her own with God when she is ready.

Now if her friends are encouraging her to make choices that are dangerous to herself or others, or breaking laws or school rules, then you should step in. But short of detrimental behaviors, let it go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maikkemom

Dec 1, 2016
California
✟15,551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I believe what Anastasia said is spot on.

High school is tough for a lot of kids, and teens just want to belong. In the past if a girl felt rejected by guys she'd commiserate with other girls and life would move on and eventually get better. But now it is popular to be "sexually fluid" and to even experiment. The pleasure they feel can confuse them into buying into the whole LGBTQ agenda, that they must be gay or bisexual. My 15 year old daughter is going through a very tough time as two of her friends just recently confessed to her that they have crushes on girls and are now bisexual. This is happening more and more and as a parent of a daughter who has strong Biblical convictions against such confusion it is heartbreaking to see her losing friends. She has not condemned them or really said anything but they are breaking away as they probably feel conviction of the Holy Spirit knowing how she believes.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe what Anastasia said is spot on.

High school is tough for a lot of kids, and teens just want to belong. In the past if a girl felt rejected by guys she'd commiserate with other girls and life would move on and eventually get better. But now it is popular to be "sexually fluid" and to even experiment. The pleasure they feel can confuse them into buying into the whole LGBTQ agenda, that they must be gay or bisexual. My 15 year old daughter is going through a very tough time as two of her friends just recently confessed to her that they have crushes on girls and are now bisexual. This is happening more and more and as a parent of a daughter who has strong Biblical convictions against such confusion it is heartbreaking to see her losing friends. She has not condemned them or really said anything but they are breaking away as they probably feel conviction of the Holy Spirit knowing how she believes.
Prayers for your daughter.

As time goes on I see more and more. A dear friend's daughter has had a rough time with a boyfriend and now thinks she must be attracted to girls instead. No one is condemning her for it, but she is suffering with depression and in other ways as a result.

It's heartbreaking all the confusion our young people are suffering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maikkemom

Dec 1, 2016
California
✟15,551.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I appreciate all prayers.

I feel like we are entering an unprecedented time of attack on our young people. Satan knows that if he can confuse them physically he can ensnare them spiritually in a way nothing else can. Unfortunately I feel that only a small remnant of God's people are going to stand against this, while the rest of the church compromises.

And for OP, I would have discussions with your daughter very frankly about sexual experimentation and how that causes confusion. I don't think anyone talks about this.

Upvote 0