• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Completely lost on where to go in my life

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All my way through school I never really knew what I wanted to do as I’m not really excited about anything. So I picked my college major, mathematics, based entirely on the fact it was my best subject. I’m now in my third year at university and I still do not know what I want to do. Next year I’m heading into my final year and so I definitely need to figure out something quickly as I need some work experience this summer for sure.
I’m doing well in my degree but without desire my degree is useless. Would anyone with any experience in this sector have any ideas about interesting career paths with these skills. I need a spark to happen as I don’t want to waste my life away doing something I don’t like.

Reactions: DennisTate

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Your problem is a fairly common one I think. I suggest that you do some internet research on possible professions - what they pay, how much demand there is for each one, education requirements and so forth. Even if you have to go to school an extra year or two, it will be worth it if you decide that a different field would be best. You also might want to talk to a counselor at your school. Sometimes they can give you some career guidance. Best of luck to you.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your problem is a fairly common one I think. I suggest that you do some internet research on possible professions - what they pay, how much demand there is for each one, education requirements and so forth. Even if you have to go to school an extra year or two, it will be worth it if you decide that a different field would be best. You also might want to talk to a counselor at your school. Sometimes they can give you some career guidance. Best of luck to you.
People at university will laugh at me and tell me to grow up and that I should have thought of this a while ago.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
All my way through school I never really knew what I wanted to do as I’m not really excited about anything. So I picked my college major, mathematics, based entirely on the fact it was my best subject. I’m now in my third year at university and I still do not know what I want to do. Next year I’m heading into my final year and so I definitely need to figure out something quickly as I need some work experience this summer for sure.
I’m doing well in my degree but without desire my degree is useless. Would anyone with any experience in this sector have any ideas about interesting career paths with these skills. I need a spark to happen as I don’t want to waste my life away doing something I don’t like.

I struggled with this very thing for decades, and one reason is because I'm the type of person who simply cannot settle on doing one and only one thing for my entire life, but the advice was always "pick your passion" or some variety of that statement. The problem is that I did not have A passion, but multiple passions!

So try out different things and don't be afraid to make a complete change (multiple times if need be) for whatever doesn't work out, or for whenever you're simply ready to move on to something else. You do NOT need to choose what you will be doing for your entire life and have it all planned out. And you don't even have to do work that is in any way at all related to your major. Your education is valuable for many more reasons than just finding a job.

Go ahead and get your work experience in anything that even seems remotely interesting, but with the knowledge that if it doesn't last past the summer and you do something completely different next time, that's fine too.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
People at university will laugh at me and tell me to grow up and that I should have thought of this a while ago.

Nope, that's what parents say. Everyone else knows better. :)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Andrew, some universities and colleges have a "career planning service center," so you might check to see if your school does and get the benefit of their helpful advice. If your university doesn't, and just knowing from my son's experiences and the connections he was able to get [he's strong in math], I'd think you'd have quite an array of business opportunity choices, anywhere from doing basic accounting to something advanced like actuary work, or other business related fields, maybe even some science kind of work (i.e. research assistance and so forth).

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, that's what parents say. Everyone else knows better. :)
My parents told me to do maths as it is my strength but languages are also good and I wish a I maybe did maths with languages as a degree. Oh well. I can learn them in my own time I guess.
Reverend David Peterson asked me from TV “what is in your hand?” And I guess maths is what I’m good at so maybe there is a plan for me with my maths even if I don’t find it completely fun/interesting.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Andrew, some universities and colleges have a "career planning service center," so you might check to see if your school does and get the benefit of their helpful advice. If your university doesn't, and just knowing from my son's experiences and the connections he was able to get [he's strong in math], I'd think you'd have quite an array of business opportunity choices, anywhere from doing basic accounting to something advanced like actuary work, or other business related fields, maybe even some science kind of work (i.e. research assistance and so forth).
With those sorts of jobs do I just look at a computer screen all day and look at graphs?
I want to do things that are fun! Maybe jobs and fun don’t go hand in hand so maybe you just have to settle for the best-payed job you can get with your skills so you can afford to do fun things in spare time.

• Informative
Reactions: Take Heart
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With those sorts of jobs do I just look at a computer screen all day and look at graphs?
I want to do things that are fun! Maybe jobs and fun don’t go hand in hand so maybe you just have to settle for the best-payed job you can get with your skills so you can afford to do fun things in spare time.

Well, like you, I can very well understand wanting a job that's not boring, but..............maybe you'll be able to find something you like. Do you have any ideas as to what you think would be 'fun'? [And yeah, a lot of jobs require looking at a monitor at least half the day.:argh: ]

As for practical jobs that might be at least 'interesting' even if they're not fun, you might have a look at the following list. Granted, I know this list I've found is oriented more toward the U.S., but even in Europe I'd think there'd be a variety of opportunities. So, take a look at this list for some ideas (especially the bottom half of the webpage):

Wait 'Til You See Where a Math Degree Can Take You!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
My parents told me to do maths as it is my strength but languages are also good and I wish a I maybe did maths with languages as a degree. Oh well. I can learn them in my own time I guess.
Reverend David Peterson asked me from TV “what is in your hand?” And I guess maths is what I’m good at so maybe there is a plan for me with my maths even if I don’t find it completely fun/interesting.

Your maths are a great foundation for many areas, such as some parts of business, accounting, like was posted above, but also areas of engineering, computer science, physics (including astrophysics and astronomy). Mathematics is a language in its own right, so it seems for languages, you already know at least three -- Polish, English, and Maths. :) And yes, you can keep learning languages in your own time...it is good to never stop learning!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Here's another list. Some of the items are similar to the previous list, but some are different.

High-Paying, Interesting Careers in Mathematics

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, like you, I can very well understand wanting a job that's not boring, but..............maybe you'll be able to find something you like. Do you have any ideas as to what you think would be 'fun'? [And yeah, a lot of jobs require looking at a monitor at least half the day.:argh: ]

As for practical jobs that might be at least 'interesting' even if they're not fun, you might have a look at the following list. Granted, I know this list I've found is oriented more toward the U.S., but even in Europe I'd think there'd be a variety of opportunities. So, take a look at this list for some ideas (especially the bottom half of the webpage):

Wait 'Til You See Where a Math Degree Can Take You!
Thanks

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
For non-desk type of jobs, there is always law enforcement, military, various types of laboratory techs in science and medicine, working in a hospital, some types of engineers who are out in the field vs. being behind a desk 100%, astronaut...

Think of all the things you find fun and then research if there are jobs/careers in which people are doing those fun things as part of their job, talk to those people and find out how they got the job, and then get whatever skills you still need and go for it! (You might have to do some less interesting work *temporarily* in the meantime, but you will have something great to work towards to keep you motivated!)

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For non-desk type of jobs, there is always law enforcement, military, various types of laboratory techs in science and medicine, working in a hospital, some types of engineers who are out in the field vs. being behind a desk 100%, astronaut...

Think of all the things you find fun and then research if there are jobs/careers in which people are doing those fun things as part of their job, talk to those people and find out how they got the job, and then get whatever skills you still need and go for it! (You might have to do some less interesting work *temporarily* in the meantime, but you will have something great to work towards to keep you motivated!)
Some things like military and exploring the world sound cool but it’s not really “what is in my hand” if you know what I mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Some things like military and exploring the world sound cool but it’s not really “what is in my hand” if you know what I mean.

Doesn't mean that they couldn't be as a longer-term goal though! Here in the U.S., having a degree can help you start out as a higher rank or even as an officer. My point though is that you don't need to limit yourself to maths just because you get a degree in it or if there is something else you would rather do long term.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,684.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unless you want to teach mathematics or possibly be a tax consultant might be time to think of switching.
Maths is the only major I could do so I should stick with it as a major anyway .

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
:) No, Andrew, they won't. You start where you are right now. Basil the Great is correct above in his advice. My advice is you trust it and follow it.

Upvote 0