Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wish this column were online, but do read it if you can find it anywhere--Liguorian, May-June 2017: "Compassion Fatigue" by Kathleen M. Basi.

One quote: "We must constantly disceren where to draw the line between "mine" and "what I'm called to use for the benefit of humanity."

I've decided this applies to time and talent as well as treasure.

Because I know some living saints against whom I always fall woefully short, even the idea of thinking I have compassion fatigue seems completely selfish.

And yet sometimes I just look at everything I've been asked to do and said I could do and start feeling sorry for myself.

The good news is that I'm volunteering at the camp for children with cancer again---but doing it on my terms. Last year, staying 24 hours a day, it seemed as though there were plenty of times I was just hanging around doing nothing, because the college-age counselors had everything under control. I was "support staff," and helped with arts and crafts, sat with kids who felt sick, and just tagged along.

So this year, I will be traveling back and forth (about 40 minutes each way) and pretty much being there when I'm needed. Setting things up and registration. Doing music activities in the afternoon, with a performance Friday night. Teaching balloon art one night, dressing as a clown optional (I did it last year, so I will probably do it this year).

So much more manageable, and I'll even go to my job some mornings (things are pretty peaceful this time of year, so it's a great time for camp).

I feel less 'compassion fatigue,' but I know that the director would prefer I was there all the time, "because it's always good to have an extra person or two around..."

And if something happened that required an extra person, I'd only be 40 minutes away, and I could come.

But then there's the guilt...how come I'm not as compassionate as the living saints I know?

"Liberal guilt."

Do any of you identify with this?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Do any of you identify with this?
Not really. I know my limits and they are a lot thinner than yours! :)
So on a scale out of 10, put the saints on 10, the 24 hours a day college counsellors on 9 and you on 8, I'd say you're doing pretty good, don't you? I'd be a 2 or 3. There are literally millions of us on a lower score than you.
Or is this scale in bad taste? I don't think so actually.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Good works are necessary, but personal relationships with the Lord Jesus and others should be our first priority. Christ Himself spent a of time in prayer and preaching :).
I knew a non-Catholic poster would make this comment. Maybe I should become a Protestant because slackers like me have a better chance of getting into Heaven. :)

• Haha
Reactions: mukk_in
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good works are necessary, but personal relationships with the Lord Jesus and others should be our first priority. Christ Himself spent a of time in prayer and preaching :).

And doesn't spending a week volunteering at a camp for children with cancer count as a "personal relationship with the Lord Jesus and others?"

I would venture to say that the problem is more not having enough workers in the vineyard....so that even when I spend lots of time volunteering (in addition to having a thirty-hour a week job and freelancing) I feel like I'm not doing enough.

Upvote 0