North Carolina
✟7,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I love the Elder Scrolls games, I also really enjoy a few series done by Konami, but, something has begun to me recently. Should we as Christians play games, by companies such as Bethesda and Konami, that have games that seem to be inherently evil on their past line up, such as Bethesda with the DOOM franchise, I mean the one in 2016, if you run its music thru a spectrograph it produces an image of a pentagram and “666”, and Konami with games like Castlevania, that have featured demons as bosses for years, even the origin of Dracula in the series (Lament of Innocence) is that a Crusader’s wife died while he was off fighting, and he wanted to become a vampire as revenge against God, Portrait of Ruin had you fight the “Legion” of Luke 8, and Lords of Shadow 1 & 2 both have Satan himself prominently in the story. I really wanted to get Skyrim on Switch and a Konami game recently, but I just have a nagging thought in the back of my head, of should I support these companies. I’ve been Bethesda and Konami games for years, and they have 3 of my favorite game franchises in their roster, but I just don’t know anymore.

Reactions: Mayflower1

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟173,915.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Without any scriptural support and just as my personal opinion: I don't think you or I are responsible for anyone else's sin, and we are not responsible for whatever games a company publishes. But I would hesitate to play a game where the devil appears in. I would not avoid the company itself, but that specific game. That's all.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So, I love the Elder Scrolls games, I also really enjoy a few series done by Konami, but, something has begun to me recently. Should we as Christians play games, by companies such as Bethesda and Konami, that have games that seem to be inherently evil on their past line up, such as Bethesda with the DOOM franchise, I mean the one in 2016, if you run its music thru a spectrograph it produces an image of a pentagram and “666”, and Konami with games like Castlevania, that have featured demons as bosses for years, even the origin of Dracula in the series (Lament of Innocence) is that a Crusader’s wife died while he was off fighting, and he wanted to become a vampire as revenge against God, Portrait of Ruin had you fight the “Legion” of Luke 8, and Lords of Shadow 1 & 2 both have Satan himself prominently in the story. I really wanted to get Skyrim on Switch and a Konami game recently, but I just have a nagging thought in the back of my head, of should I support these companies. I’ve been Bethesda and Konami games for years, and they have 3 of my favorite game franchises in their roster, but I just don’t know anymore.
Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 10:23-31 may be helpful. He's talking about the importance of regarding the conscience whether it be your own or someone else's. It all comes down to what Paul says in verse 31.
All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience’ sake; 26FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD’S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. 27If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience’ sake. 28But if anyone says to you, “This is meat sacrificed to idols,” do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience’ sake; 29I mean not your own conscience, but the other man’s; for why is my freedom judged by another’s conscience? 30If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks?
31Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,125.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

That's something the company has to answer for, not you.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is actually something I questioned a lot. I was new in being able to choose the "bad guy". And so when I first play fallout 3 and Skyrim probably about 6-7 years ago, I played a character and those horrible quests. They are in there... Skyrim... Dark Brotherhood, just plain evil. Thieves guild... Fallout three actual slaving people... Horrible things... But I am grateful now, because looking back, it was a true burden on my heart and took to the Lord. It really transformed my outlook in games and movies. That even in my games, I needed to honor God and obey Him. So I play those games on occasion now. But I only play the game as I would choose as a Christian in a post apocalyptic world/fantasy world. And it is still fun. Skyrim is amazing and is a lot more fun as the warrior. But look for the spiritual elements too. Because like in Fallout 3, there it starts off with Revelation talking about the waters of life (which you kinda need for the end of the game riddle, so remember that verse. :) ) The good outcome talks about following the ways of the "father."

So I do not know the intentions of Bethesda when they made these things, but I know where my convictions are now. Anything can become an idol and unhealthy. Best to put it away if it is a stumbling block, but it kinda feels good to me to be able to make those right choices and be the warrior that saves the people/dragonborn

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can completely justify playing Doom (1993) because you're running around shooting literal demons that have invaded the martian base from hell. Then you go through hell and beat the baddest demons that hell has to offer... and come out on the other side.

And all because they killed your pet rabbit. Rabbits are my favorite pets, so I can sympathize with the sentiment.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Game series are like zombies, they can go on forever. The person or persons responsible for what you didn't like may have moved on a long time ago. I wouldn't judge a series too much on past games if it was something minor or if the series might have evolved into something else. If you feel convicted though, there are a lot of games that are relatively harmless, like Nintendo titles, or multiplayer games without a significant story focus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums