Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
According to wiki they are a reformmed mormon sub sect, accepting the trinity and the book of mormon.
I would suggest not joining them.
I'm not. I was just curious about their teachings.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not. I was just curious about their teachings.
While they are an LDS spinoff, they have put a lot of mileage between themselves and the LDS theologically in the last 20 years, as evidenced by the name change from Reorganized Church of LDS to Community of Christ. The initial schism occurred about the time Joseph Smith was killed, with the presenting issue being polygamy. The group supporting the practice took off for Missouri but ended up in Utah; the rest (including Smith's first wife!) stayed on in Nauvoo, Illinois.
As such, other than giving lip service to the Book of Mormon and some quirks in church government and sacraments they carried over, they are almost indistinguishable from your average liberal mainline church in practice. A look at the faith statement on their website shows they've eschewed most if not all of mainline LDS theology.
Our Beliefs | Community of Christ International Headquarters

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
While they are an LDS spinoff, they have put a lot of mileage between themselves and the LDS theologically in the last 20 years, as evidenced by the name change from Reorganized Church of LDS to Community of Christ. The initial schism occurred about the time Joseph Smith was killed, with the presenting issue being polygamy. The group supporting the practice took off for Missouri but ended up in Utah; the rest (including Smith's first wife!) stayed on in Nauvoo, Illinois.
As such, other than giving lip service to the Book of Mormon and some quirks in church government and sacraments they carried over, they are almost indistinguishable from your average liberal mainline church in practice. A look at the faith statement on their website shows they've eschewed most if not all of mainline LDS theology.
Our Beliefs | Community of Christ International Headquarters

Their headquarters is in Independence, Missouri, which was the location of the Garden of Eden, according to Joseph Smith. In traditional Mormon theology Independence, Missouri ranks far higher than Nauvoo, Illinois or Salt Lake City, Utah. It is like Mecca to Muslims.

The Coc (formerly the RLDS) has its own temple there with a pinnacle where it was prophesied that Jesus Christ will land upon when He returns.

OIP.xa4o0_BF1LXsZMAUk27KWQHaE8

As in Islam, one of the primary reasons for the division within Mormonism was a question of succession. Prior to his death, Joseph Smith did not write a will or make a decision regarding succession after him. The RLDS determined that succession was to be hereditary and thus determined to follow Mr. Smith's son, also named Joseph (as were all of the elder sons of succeeding generations). Brigham Young, on the other hand, was not biologically related to Joseph Smith, but was quite charismatic. He claimed Mr. Smith's spiritual authority. Most of the Mormons were in great confusion and disillusionment following Joseph Smith's death and many simply abandoned the faith. Mr. Young managed to persuade a majority of the remnant to follow him westward and they ended up at the Great Salt Lake in Utah.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Their headquarters is in Independence, Missouri, which was the location of the Garden of Eden, according to Joseph Smith. In traditional Mormon theology Independence, Missouri ranks far higher than Nauvoo, Illinois or Salt Lake City, Utah. It is like Mecca to Muslims.

The Coc (formerly the RLDS) has its own temple there with a pinnacle where it was prophesied that Jesus Christ will land upon when He returns.

OIP.xa4o0_BF1LXsZMAUk27KWQHaE8

As in Islam, one of the primary reasons for the division within Mormonism was a question of succession. Prior to his death, Joseph Smith did not write a will or make a decision regarding succession after him. The RLDS determined that succession was to be hereditary and thus determined to follow Mr. Smith's son, also named Joseph (as were all of the elder sons of succeeding generations). Brigham Young, on the other hand, was not biologically related to Joseph Smith, but was quite charismatic. He claimed Mr. Smith's spiritual authority. Most of the Mormons were in great confusion and disillusionment following Joseph Smith's death and many simply abandoned the faith. Mr. Young managed to persuade a majority of the remnant to follow him westward and they ended up at the Great Salt Lake in Utah.
Interesting. I actually learned a lot of that from reading Mormonism for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Mormonism. I wonder how Emma and Joseph Smith would view the CoC today?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As long as they are following the false prophet Joesph Smith they are outside the christian faith, because he redefines the meaning of words.
They accept the Book of Mormon but and accept the Trinity. I am not sure how they align themselves theologically with the rest of liberal Protestants. Women can be ordained, LGBT is accepted etc.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,441.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As long as they are following the false prophet Joesph Smith they are outside the christian faith, because he redefines the meaning of words.
They have actually done a lot to distance themselves from Mr. Smith, including changing their name to Community of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand they are a Latter Day Saint (aka Mormon) denomination that accepts the Trinity and considers the Book of Mormon inspired.

What are their basic beliefs and tenants? I know they do not have any creed.

Thanks

RileyG, I just came across this thread you created a few years ago. I wish I had seen it earlier since you need to know that its inquiry is in the wrong section of CF.

The Campbellite Restoration effort has had nothing to do with Mormonism and there is no connection historically nor any similar beliefs in it with Mormonism. If anything, the Restoration denominations of the Disciples of Christ, Church of Christ and Christian Churches had brief relations with Baptists, but then they separated and went their own way early on (back in the 1800s). The only similarity is that Mormons consider themselves as a form of 1800s 'restoration' as well, but one that is completely separate and different and not in any way associated with the Campbellite Movement that used the same kind of label.

I just thought I'd mention this since the presence of this thread, being as it is in the incorrect section, could be a cause of confusion for some readers.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
RileyG, I just came across this thread you created a few years ago. I wish I had seen it earlier since you need to know that its inquiry is in the wrong section of CF.

The Campbellite Restoration effort has had nothing to do with Mormonism and there is no connection historically nor any similar beliefs in it with Mormonism. If anything, the Restoration denominations of the Disciples of Christ, Church of Christ and Christian Churches had brief relations with Baptists, but then they separated and went their own way early on (back in the 1800s). The only similarity is that Mormons consider themselves as a form of 1800s 'restoration' as well, but one that is completely separate and different and not in any way associated with the Campbellite Movement that used the same kind of label.

I just thought I'd mention this since the presence of this thread, being as it is in the incorrect section, could be a cause of confusion for some readers.

Thank you for your time.
Hi, I was referring to the Community of Christ, not the Church of Christ, which is indeed restorationist.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, I was referring to the Community of Christ, not the Church of Christ, which is indeed restorationist.

ok.. But this SECTION of CF is precisely, and only, for discussion related to the Campbellite Restorationist denominations. To place your question here is similar to me placing something from the Rosicrucians in either the Traditionalist or Catholic section of the forums., and it wouldn't belong there, especially if its presence might cause confusion for passers by who don't know the difference.

Do you understand what I'm saying here? I want exacting clarity in the same way that, say, my Roman Catholic brethren want clarity in their own section.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
ok.. But this SECTION of CF is precisely, and only, for discussion related to the Campbellite Restorationist denominations. To place your question here is similar to me placing something from the Rosicrucians in either the Traditionalist or Catholic section of the forums., and it wouldn't belong there, especially if its presence might cause confusion for passers by who don't know the difference.

Do you understand what I'm saying here? I want exacting clarity in the same way that, say, my Roman Catholic brethren want clarity in their own section.
Ohhhh sorry! It was my confusion

• Friendly
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. I actually learned a lot of that from reading Mormonism for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Mormonism. I wonder how Emma and Joseph Smith would view the CoC today?
Emma's refusal to join with Brigham Young's westward party had much to do with the development of the RLDS (now Community of Christ). CoC views her as a founding "mother" of sort.

Upvote 0