✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It appears the Diocese of Phoenix is implementing a new policy for communion only under the species of bread, with wine limited to special occasions. Still not sure what to think, any thoughts and insights?

Diocesan press release: Read a News Story

Q&A regarding press release: News - The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We're commanded to do both. I'm not sure how they'd work through the liturgy without it. Even if the Precious Blood is only received by those at the altar, it would be weird not to have the Chalice raised with the words, "This is my Blood". It's the Precious Blood which seals the covenant.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix announced today its intentions to implement new norms for the distribution of Holy Communion under the forms of bread and wine that are in keeping with new universal Church standards for the distribution of Communion.
The new norms will promote unity in the celebration of the Eucharist all around the world, and come from the revised General Instruction of the Roman Missal, 3rd Edition, together with the final edition of The Norms for the Distribution and Reception of Holy Communion Under Both Kinds for the Dioceses of the United States of America, published in June 2011.
The priests of the Diocese of Phoenix recently discussed the new norms and a provisional text for its local implementation. At the present time, these diocesan norms, together with a time frame for implementation in the Phoenix Diocese, are under preparation and should be completed within the next few months.
Since the 11th century, the Latin Rite Catholic Church distributed Holy Communion to the faithful under the form of bread. At the end of the Second Vatican Council, the Fathers of the Council directed the Sacred Congregation on Divine Worship to provide for occasions where the practice of distribution and reception of Holy Communion under both kinds to the laity could be restored. In the Roman Missal (1975), 14 instances were provided when the chalice could be offered to the Laity.
From 1975 on, the United States, United Kingdom and Oceania were given experimental privileges for the distribution of Holy Communion under both kinds. These privileges expired in 2005 and were not renewed by the Holy See. The new norms issued in June 2011 are what guide the liturgical practice today and in the future.
These universal norms for the distribution of Holy Communion under both kinds greatly expanded those times when the chalice could be offered to the lay faithful for most of the Catholic world (since in most countries their practice was virtually non-existent). In the Diocese of Phoenix, like other places where the practice of reception from the chalice became frequent or even commonplace, the new norms call for the practice of less frequent distribution of Holy Communion under both kinds than the faithful may have been accustomed.

It is not a new practice, rather the Diocese is reverting to the norm of the Church in accordance with the ending of the privilege.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't be opposed to more parishes only distributing the Eucharist in one form. I don't think that there is anything wrong inherently with distributing both forms, but there are some problems:

-Firstly, and I think most importantly, I think people are currently confused about the nature of the Eucharist. There is a lot of thought that the bread and wine each contain only "half" the essence of Jesus Christ, so that receiving only one is not a "complete" communion service. This is by no means true, and it might help people see this if both forms were not always distributed.

-Secondly, and also importantly, the sacred blood is far easier to profane, through carelessness or accidents, than the flesh. While I have not seen the blood of Christ spilled on many occasions, certainly I have seen that happen more than I have seen a communion wafer dropped (since I have never seen that).

-Thirdly, I think that the practice distorts the view of what is normal in the Church in two ways: Firstly, it makes people expect that any "complete" Catholic mass will distribute both forms of the Eucharist, but this is not necessary. Secondly, it requires a greater number of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion. The sheer number of these ministers has caused people to forget that they are supposed to be "extraordinary."

I should say that I don't think that it is wrong, or against the Church, or anything like that to distribute in both forms. And I can see reasons being made for continuing the practice. But I think that it might be better to, not end it, but certainly reduce the prevalence of the practice for a while.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
It appears the Diocese of Phoenix is implementing a new policy for communion only under the species of bread, with wine limited to special occasions. Still not sure what to think, any thoughts and insights?

What did Jesus tell us to do ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,086,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After Vatican II, there was a greater emphasis on the Mass being the "Eucharistic feast" rather than the "Holy Sacrifice."

And, if the Catholics you are friendly with are Vatican II people, and the books you read are Vatican II books, the words, imagery, and discussion of the Mass are all about the "Eucharistic feast."

Read Nouwen or Rolheiser and the important part of the Eucharist is that after we have received Jesus we too are supposed to be the Eucharist for one another through sharing and service--one body, one community.

Pretty far from the idea of the "Holy Sacrifice."

And so yes, they say, let's dispense with the wine....takes away the emphasis from the "holy sacrifice." Let's formalize the language...emphasize the "holy sacrifice." Let's put the sign of peace after the homily, so we can leave the community out of the equation.

Not.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well the good part of this is that my former confessor, who was the best, retired to Phoenix Az.

Knowing my Confessor and seeing some of the recent decisions by Bishop Olmsted, perhaps my confessor will return to his old parish where he will be more than welcomed back.

Jim

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The Sacrament is truly and fully received when under either or both forms. It is therefore not necessary to receive the Precious Blood.

So far as I can tell, the Bishop of Phoenix is not only entitled to do what he is doing, but is actually following a requirement of the law of the Church.

Well it's time the law of the Church came in line with the law of Christ .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Rosary Crusader

We're commanded to do both. I'm not sure how they'd work through the liturgy without it. Even if the Precious Blood is only received by those at the altar, it would be weird not to have the Chalice raised with the words, "This is my Blood". It's the Precious Blood which seals the covenant.

You drink the Precious Blood when you consume the Host. And the wine will still be consecrated. The Precious Blood will simply be reserved to the altar

Upvote 0