Communion (the Lord's Supper)

How often do you have the Lord's Supper?

• Once a year

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Once a week

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Everyday (really? Incredible)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Dixibehr50

Sep 16, 2019
Phoenix
✟16,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
How often do you have the Lord's Supper? I know that in the SBC most churches do it once a month. In our body, we have it every week.

Please may Baptists only vote in the polls, thank you.
When I was a SB, before I got saved and became Orthodox , it was once a quarter whether we needed it or not.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You will not get many responses if only Baptists are allowed to vote. I am not a Baptist but share some of their beliefs. My vote was Other because I don't have a church, so I never do it.

I am content to wait, I am not expecting instant replies. It may be years to see more Baptists on this board (if I am still here then).

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think we were supposed to do it once a month, but month after month goes by without it. It ends up being whenever they get around to it, which is better than once a year, but much less than once a month. I marked once a year as a conservative answer.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think we were supposed to do it once a month, but month after month goes by without it. It ends up being whenever they get around to it, which is better than once a year, but much less than once a month. I marked once a year as a conservative answer.
That is very sad. The Lord's Supper should be a frequent sacrament.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'd love to hear the reason, if you're willing to give it.

It would get boring to hear the same Bible passage every week. I also don't like grape juice and crackers. Going to church should not feel like a job.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would get boring to hear the same Bible passage every week.

What church does that?

Do you not know that, by and large, the churches you are referring to follow a church calendar which has different readings from both the OT and NT for each Sunday? Most of them follow the course of Christ's life, as we go through the seasons.

• Agree
Upvote 0

iLove

Jan 3, 2013
✟28,526.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your Word for Today

"For as often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup, you do show the Lord’s death till He come. Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he who eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord’s Body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep (I Cor. 11:26-30).

The above Scriptures are of immense significance to every Believer, and should be minutely understood. In fact, not properly understanding them causes many Christians to be sick, even “many” to die prematurely. They don’t lose their soul, but their lives are cut short, which is extremely detrimental, not only to families, but also to the Work of God.

So what is the Holy Spirit through Paul saying here?

1. First of all, even though we aren’t told how often we should partake of the Lord’s Supper, the Holy Spirit does say, “As often as you eat this bread, and drink this cup,” specifying something significant. What is so significant is that we understand that the Lord’s Supper is meant to portray “the Lord’s death till He come.” This refers not only to the fact of His Death, but also to the manner in which He died. We are ever to keep the Cross before us.

2. It is possible, and said so by the Holy Spirit, to eat the bread and drink the cup of the Lord, “unworthily.” When that happens, we become “guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord.”

What does that mean?

The Lord does not demand sinless perfection for one to partake of the “Supper.” However, He does demand that our Faith be exclusively in Christ and the Cross, as evidenced in Verse 26. If we make anything else the object of our faith, we are eating and drinking unworthily, and the results will not be good. This is, in fact, the reason that so many Christians are sick, even the reason why many Christians die prematurely.

Understanding that, I’m sure we see how important all of this actually is.

3. Before taking the “Supper,” every Believer should “examine himself” as to whether his faith is properly placed in Christ and the Cross.

The idea is this:

If anyone has it in their mind that belonging to a certain Church or Denomination denotes some type of spirituality, then their faith is not properly placed in Christ and the Cross. If one believes that Salvation comes in any manner except by simple Faith in Christ and the Cross, then that person is “guilty of the Body and Blood of the Lord.” That person had best not partake of the “Supper.”

4. If a Believer eats and drinks unworthily, which means their faith is placed in something other than Christ and the Cross, such a Believer is actually “eating and drinking damnation to himself,” because he is “not discerning the Lord’s Body.”

We “discern the Lord’s Body” by understanding what the broken bread means and what the cup means. They refer, respectively, to His broken Body and His shed Blood, which both refer to the Cross.

There will be millions of Christians this Sunday morning who will take the Lord’s Supper, whose faith is not properly placed in Christ and the Cross, but something else altogether. If they are true Believers, such action will cause many to be sick, and even to die prematurely. These misfortunes may be ascribed to something else, but if the truth be known, they occurred because of “not discerning the Lord’s Body.”

Simple Faith in Christ and what He did at the Cross addresses this perfectly and stops the sickness and the premature death.

It’s obvious we should realize how important all of this actually is."

—Donnie Swaggart (taken from the “Word for Every Day”)
Donnie Swaggart

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What church does that?

Do you not know that, by and large, the churches you are referring to follow a church calendar which has different readings from both the OT and NT for each Sunday? Most of them follow the course of Christ's life, as we go through the seasons.

I was not referring to any specific church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was not referring to any specific church.
Or any group of churches, either.

Let's pause for a translation. It would allegedly be boring if something that is not done...were to be done.

OK, but back to the question now. Why are you alienated by the thought of Holy Communion each Sunday?

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
4. If a Believer eats and drinks unworthily, which means their faith is placed in something other than Christ and the Cross, such a Believer is actually “eating and drinking damnation to himself,” because he is “not discerning the Lord’s Body.”

I've always been bothered that doing communion wrong presents a great risk, but no benefit to doing it right is ever delineated. I found myself refusing communion for years, because, while I could think of a reason for not doing it, I never heard any really good reason to risk doing it.

• Informative
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I will not refuse to do Communion just because a church does it wrong, but have seriously considered not doing it just because I have done it before. Like how many times do I really need to take Communion if a regular dose is not prescribed in Scripture?

Upvote 0