Communion or Fellowship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject: Communion or Fellowship

Hi All:

The "communion service" is a man made combination of words. The "Lord's supper is that service. The word "communion" comes from the greek word "koinonia" , which is interpreted only 4 times communion and 12 times "fellowship", which is a more accurate word than "communion.

Lets look at another greek word "koinos", which is interpreted - "common" or "simple".

Lets look at another greek word "koinoneo", which means to "partake" or communicate".

All of these greek words including the greek word "koinonia" , which is the translated word in question, is by far a poor translation of this word, come from the greek root "koino". This greek word "koinonia" should have always been translated "fellowship" - when and where it was translated "communion". To communicate in simple understanding, by partaking of the fellowship of one another spiritually.

If you look at II Corinthians 6:14 , you will notice what I am talking about. The word "communion" is used here in this verse. Lets read this verse with proper understanding - Verse 14 - "What communion (fellowship) hath light with darkness"

This same usage should apply with I Corinth 10:16 - "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion (fellowship) of the blood of Christ ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion (fellowship) of the body of Christ ?"

These verses are spiritual in understanding, and should never be understood in a literal sense, as you will see.

Next verse - verse 17 - "For we being many are "one bread", "one body" : for we are all partakers of that "one bread".

The body of Christ is that "one bread", and if anyone is going to "eat" of that "one bread" , then they must eat spiritually , and not literally. To eat spiritually is to "fellowship" with one another.

Love IN Christ - Hervey

Debbie

Dec 11, 2001
Visit site
✟1,142.00
THat's why Jesus said, "Do this in REMEMBRANCE of me".
Many people have a full meal & call it communion. I dont care what words people use to describe thier partaking of remembrance of the Lord's supper, or if they just have bread & juice, or a full meal.
If they call it fellowship or communion, if they have a full meal or drink & bread, it doesnt matter to me.
"Do this in remembrance of me" shows a spiritual significance.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.