✟15,836.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi all,

I'm new here and this is a topic I think is very important, so I want to tell people about it.

Several commonly-used birth control products (all types of the pill, all types of IUDs, all types of morning-after-pills or “emergency contraception”, mini-pills, patches, rings, implants, injections and some others) often work after conception has taken place, thereby killing a newly conceived human being. All types of hormonal, chemical and metal-based birth control often work this way.

For the average woman using these products, this death of a new human being happens about once a year (more often with all types of IUDs) and it happens frequently with all types of the morning-after-pill.

Although these birth control products are presented as preventing ovulation or impeding sperm, they also rely on a third, less well-publicized, mechanism. Women can and do ovulate while using these products. When this happens and conception occurs, these birth control products will often prevent the new human being from implanting her or himself on the uterine wall thereby killing him or her. Implantation is essential as it provides nourishment and other necessities to the new human being. This mechanism is often referred to as “changing the endometrium”, the endometrium is the uterine wall. Using such a vague and imprecise phrase is meant to downplay the significance of what actually happens, so one sometimes has to dig for this information using both mainstream and alternative sources. For reasons of space, I have cited only two sources (they can be found in another post, #4 below), but as all the types of birth control listed in the first paragraph contain the exact same or very, very similar active ingredients (except for copper IUDs which have a different composition, but still operate frequently after conception has taken place), so all of those types of birth control act in the same way on the body. Therefore, the conclusions of these two sources hold for all of the above types of birth control.

These birth control products (including copper IUDs) pose significant and potentially fatal health and psychological dangers to women using them, including: stroke, breast and other cancers (the World Health Organization and the US government have classified them as class 1 carcinogens, the most dangerous cancer-causing products), fatal blood clots, depression, mood swings, liver disease, serious problems with later pregnancies and other illnesses. IUDs disintegrate or can break and perforate the woman's internal organs. These products alter some of the body's fundamental building blocks, causing health problems, including making a woman more susceptible to STDs. These birth control products can be especially damaging for younger women whose bodies are developing.

Pharmaceutical companies have paid out damages of billions of dollars involving hundreds of thousands of women who were injured by their birth control products. Many women are not aware that some of their health problems are actually caused by these types of birth control. Others will not talk about their health problems, especially mental health ones. It is everyone's duty to inform women who are being or will be harmed by these abortion-causing products.

Commonly-used non-abortion-causing birth control (including condoms, vasectomy, diaphragms, withdrawal and spermicides) pose far less frequently occurring, but occasionally serious, dangers to the woman or man or baby.

A note about condoms and STDs. All professional health organizations say that male and female condoms are less than 100% effective against STDs, including against fatal ones, even when used consistently and correctly. Most also say that when (male) condoms are used consistently and correctly, in the course of one year 2 out of 100 women using them will get pregnant; but user error decreases this effectiveness, reading the instructions is essential. Some STDs (e.g. HPV which can cause many serious and fatal diseases like some cancers) are also transmitted by the skin to skin contact of areas not covered by male and female condoms. However, condoms do cover some of the other areas that have the potential to spread HPV and other STDs. And user error decreases condoms' effectiveness, reading the instructions is essential. For both the male and female condom, problems include the condom slipping off or breaking, or the condom may have been mishandled by the user or the store, or there might have been a manufacturer error. And, apart from abstinence, condoms are the only type of birth control that offers any protection against STDs. They must be used always and used always correctly. At least one organization of doctors as well as some individual doctors say that condoms are much (they emphasize the 'much') less than 100% effective against STDs.

All STDs can turn into fatal illnesses and complications from STDs are one of the leading causes of death in our societies. A significant proportion of the members of Western societies have STDs. If one is sexually active, it is important to get examined by a doctor regularly (yearly or more often) and before and after each different sexual partner. And insist your partner do the same. Vaccines are available for some STDs, although some people worry about the safety of HPV vaccines (I have not had time to do research on this). Also, keep an eye out for symptoms or consequences of STDs. STDs are sneaky and can be transmitted even when no symptoms are present and they are transmittable through only a single act (including oral acts). And serious damage can start to the body even if there are no noticeable symptoms. You must remember that if you pass on an STD, it can pass from your partner to another, who passes it on to another, and so on. Therefore, something you did will continue to seriously harm and possibly kill other people down the line; people who have hopes for the future, things they enjoy doing, fears, etc.

Both female sterilization and hysterectomies (through a different mechanism than that of the birth control products listed in the first paragraph) and Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can also cause the death of a new human after conception and are also bad for a woman's health.

I would be pleased to provide medical and other professional sources from mainstream and peer-reviewed medical journals for all of the statements I have made above, to answer questions and to provide additional information, just ask.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to be thorough.

Michael

Last edited:

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both female sterilization and hysterectomies (through a different mechanism than that of the birth control products listed in the first paragraph) and Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) can also cause the death of a new human after conception and are also bad for a woman's health.
Are you a gynecologist? Because if you are not, imo, you should mind your own business when it comes to instructing people on subject that I have quoted.
Women go through enough problems without ignorant men trying to make them feel guilty.

Upvote 0

Michael77

Aug 10, 2017
montreal
✟15,836.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

I am sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. No, I am not a gynaecologist, but I have done a great deal of research on these topics. In talking to people about these issues, I have discovered that people want to know this info, including on the specific point you cited.

All the best.

Michael

Upvote 0

Michael77

Aug 10, 2017
montreal
✟15,836.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

I forgot to include medical sources for the point that all types of the pill, all types of IUDs, all types of morning-after-pills or “emergency contraception”, mini-pills, patches, rings, implants, injections and some others) often work after conception has taken place, thereby killing a newly conceived human being.

1. “Mechanisms of action of intrauterine devices: Update and estimation of postfertilization effects” by Dr. Joseph P. Stanford and Dr. Rafael T. Mikolajczyk in The American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology at

http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(02)00493-3/pdf which concludes that “both prefertilization and postfertilization mechanisms of action contribute significantly to the effectiveness of all types of intrauterine devices.”

2. “Current perspectives on combination oral contraceptives.” by MA Smith and EQ Youngkin in Clinical Pharmacy at Current perspectives on combination oral contraceptives. - PubMed - NCBI reports that “The contraceptive effects of estrogenic agents are related to modifications in ovulation, ovum transport, and implantation. The progestational agents act mainly by inhibiting ovulation and creating a hostile uterine environment.” It must be remembered that if these "contraceptives" prevented ovulation all of the time, it would be pointless for these researchers to attribute any birth control (the word "contraceptive" has strayed from its original meaning and now is often used to refer to post-conception effects as well) effect to "modifications in ... implantation" or "a hostile uterine environment". And women do ovulate a significant amount of the time on the products listed in the second paragraph of my original post. Combined oral contraceptives are those that contain both an estrogen and a progestin.

All the best

Michael

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Foamhead

I like water
Aug 27, 2005
✟42,341.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I always adore Catholics who try to convince others not to use birth control with misinformation.

1uh38m

1uh38m

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

I'm new here and this is a topic I think is very important, so I want to tell people about it.

Several commonly-used birth control products (all types of the pill, all types of IUDs, all types of morning-after-pills or “emergency contraception”, mini-pills, patches, rings, implants, injections and some others) often work after conception has taken place, thereby killing a newly conceived human being. All types of hormonal, chemical and metal-based birth control often work this way.

For the average woman using these products, this death of a new human being happens about once a year (more often with all types of IUDs) and it happens frequently with all types of the morning-after-pill.

Although these birth control products are presented as preventing ovulation or impeding sperm, they also rely on a third, less well-publicized, mechanism. Women can and do ovulate while using these products. When this happens and conception occurs, these birth control products will often prevent the new human being from implanting her or himself on the uterine wall thereby killing him or her. Implantation is essential as it provides nourishment and other necessities to the new human being. This mechanism is often referred to as “changing the endometrium”, the endometrium is the uterine wall. Using such a vague and imprecise phrase is meant to downplay the significance of what actually happens, so one sometimes has to dig for this information using both mainstream and alternative sources. For reasons of space, I have cited only two sources (they can be found in another post, #4 below), but as all the types of birth control listed in the first paragraph contain the exact same or very, very similar active ingredients (except for copper IUDs which have a different composition, but still operate frequently after conception has taken place), so all of those types of birth control act in the same way on the body. Therefore, the conclusions of these two sources hold for all of the above types of birth control.

These birth control products (including copper IUDs) pose significant and potentially fatal health and psychological dangers to women using them, including: stroke, breast and other cancers (the World Health Organization and the US government have classified them as class 1 carcinogens, the most dangerous cancer-causing products), fatal blood clots, depression, mood swings, liver disease, serious problems with later pregnancies and other illnesses. IUDs disintegrate or can break and perforate the woman's internal organs. These products alter some of the body's fundamental building blocks, causing health problems, including making a woman more susceptible to STDs. These birth control products can be especially damaging for younger women whose bodies are developing.

Pharmaceutical companies have paid out damages of billions of dollars involving hundreds of thousands of women who were injured by their birth control products. Many women are not aware that some of their health problems are actually caused by these types of birth control. Others will not talk about their health problems, especially mental health ones. It is everyone's duty to inform women who are being or will be harmed by these abortion-causing products.

Commonly-used non-abortion-causing birth control (including condoms, vasectomy, diaphragms, withdrawal and spermicides) pose far less frequently occurring, but occasionally serious, dangers to the woman or man or baby.

A note about condoms and STDs. Condoms are less than 100% effective against STDs, including against fatal ones. But they are still almost 100% effective at preventing conception as sperms are much larger than STD viruses. Some STDs (e.g. HPV which can cause many serious and fatal diseases like some cancers) are also transmitted by the skin to skin contact of areas not covered by condoms. However, condoms do cover some of the other areas that have the potential to spread those and other STDs. User error decreases condoms' effectiveness, reading the instructions is essential. Problems include the condom slipping off or breaking (these two usually caused by user error), or the condom may have been mishandled by the user or the store, or there might have been a manufacturer error. And, apart from abstinence, condoms are the only type of birth control that offers any protection against STDs.

I would be pleased to provide medical and other professional sources from mainstream and peer-reviewed medical journals for all of the statements I have made above, to answer questions and to provide additional information, just ask.

Michael

I wouldn't want to interfere with your birth decisions.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When this happens and conception occurs, these birth control products will often prevent the new human being from implanting

This also happens naturally, and it does not appear to be any great crime.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Could you elaborate further on the dangers caused by withdrawal?...actually, I'll toss condoms, diaphrams and spermicides in the question as well.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi all,

A note about condoms and STDs. Condoms are less than 100% effective against STDs, including against fatal ones. But they are still almost 100% effective at preventing conception as sperms are much larger than STD viruses. Some STDs (e.g. HPV which can cause many serious and fatal diseases like some cancers) are also transmitted by the skin to skin contact of areas not covered by condoms. However, condoms do cover some of the other areas that have the potential to spread those and other STDs. User error decreases condoms' effectiveness, reading the instructions is essential. Problems include the condom slipping off or breaking (these two usually caused by user error), or the condom may have been mishandled by the user or the store, or there might have been a manufacturer error. And, apart from abstinence, condoms are the only type of birth control that offers any protection against STDs.

Michael
If they work and they prevent unwanted pregnancies and population growth, good, leave them alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This also happens naturally, and it does not appear to be any great crime.
So, if I go out and shoot some random stranger, I can say, "death also happens naturally, and it does not appear to be any great crime," and they'll let me off the hook? Or might most people tend to see a difference between me causing a death and nature causing it?

If they work and they prevent unwanted pregnancies and population growth, good, leave them alone.
Killing recently-born children can solve unwanted pregnancies and population growth as well. Some people might question why nothing other than passing through the birth canal is a meaningful difference.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So, if I go out and shoot some random stranger, I can say, "death also happens naturally, and it does not appear to be any great crime," and they'll let me off the hook? Or might most people tend to see a difference between me causing a death and nature causing it?

Killing recently-born children can solve unwanted pregnancies and population growth as well. Some people might question why nothing other than passing through the birth canal is a meaningful difference.
Indeed, but most normal people will believe that contraception is critically important.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Most people would like the death prevented in both cases. But all in all, you got me.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, but most normal people will believe that contraception is critically important.
I'm sure many do. And many feel the unborn are human beings with a right to life. Many of those same people are likely unaware of exactly how some contraceptives work. It's best if everyone has all the information so they can make informed decisions. After all, knowing is half the battle.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sure many do. And many feel the unborn are human beings with a right to life. Many of those same people are likely unaware of exactly how some contraceptives work. It's best if everyone has all the information so they can make informed decisions. After all, knowing is half the battle.

What about those who lie about how contraceptives work just because they don't want people to use them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What about those who lie about how contraceptives work just because they don't want people to use them?
Lying is bad. Anything else? I mean, do you have a point? In any ethics/morality question you can bring up the possibility of someone abusing the principles involved.

Upvote 0

Earatha

Feb 26, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
✟34,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As a woman ON hormonal birth control pills, I find your effort to shame people for them misguided at best.

Do these products sometimes cause problems? Yes. In a tiny minority of women. In most women there are no problems. In most women these have either no or positive secondary effects. I take the pill because I suffer from clinical depression and along with the not getting pregnant thing the pill also evens out my hormones and keeps me sane. And should we throw out the pill because in a small minority some women get bad effects? If so, we should stop using Tylenol because it does cause liver damage.

Moreover the claim that it kills after fertilization is just plain wrong. If you miss a pill or if the sperm manages to get to an egg despite the IUD or implant or whatever, you're pregnant. Period. Your birth control has failed. If you have an IUD and you get pregnant, that is a medical emergency and you need to see a doctor for other reasons. And the morning after pill doesn't kill fertilized eggs.

And hysterectomies kill unborn babies? Really?!? A hysterectomy literally removes a woman's overies. She cannot produce eggs, so she cannot have "unborn children" in her. And since these are usually done after a c-section there is no chance that the woman is pregnant at the time.

This is a tender subject for me. I am the direct beneficiary of hormonal birth control. I know the value of controlling my own reproduction, and of the adddd value to my mental and physical health from these things. And when people try and steer people away with misinformation or imply these things are evil I get upset.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Your entire argument rests on the premise that a fertilized ovum is an ensouled person with innate rights.
I think you're missing his point. It's not about convincing people that the unborn are humans with innate rights. The point is mainly that, for those who ALREADY believe that the unborn are humans with innate rights, they should also be made aware that some contraceptives might be causing abortions. (At least, to me, that is what his point seems to be.)

I really don't get the point of that. I mean, so what if the majority of people in heaven are the unborn? What difference does that make?

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a woman ON hormonal birth control pills, I find your effort to shame people for them misguided at best.
Where do you get the idea he's "trying to shame" people?

I take the pill because I suffer from clinical depression and along with the not getting pregnant thing the pill also evens out my hormones and keeps me sane.
Using birth control pills just for hormonal issues isn't always a good idea. It's typically just a way to mask the symptoms without actually fixing the problem.
Why Not to Use Birth Control for Hormonal Imbalance & Acne
Of course, that may not apply to you. But it's still good info for people to be aware of so they can make the right choice for themselves.

Upvote 0