Command, Example and Necessary Inference...

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*** Please Read This First! ***

I do not want this to be a debate thread over the standard hermeneutic of "Command, Examples and Necessary Inference" (CENI). I intend to start another thread later for that purpose. I will kindly report all posts that violate this disclaimer, and I would really appreciate everyone's cooperation for the time being. There will be time to talk about this at large in a little while. For the moment, I would only like people to post who are going to define and defend CENI. Thank you in advance!

Commands, Examples and Necessary Inferences

This is standard hermeneutic that is used by nearly everyone that I personally know. However, I have some questions about it that I have been mulling over in my head lately.

Normally, when I hear it talked about, I hear it defended from a philosophical or experiential perspective. What I mean is that someone will tell me that "we understand all written materials this way". Well, if you use that philosophical approach to writing, yes that is true, but there are other methods that may be used; if there weren't there would be no discussion about this topic :).

I have no problem seeing where God states that he expects people to follow his commands; that is all over the Bible. I am, however, having a problem finding a place where we are told to use examples and inferences.

Can anyone show me a place where someone in the Old Testament was punished for not inferring something correctly or for not following an example?

The difficulty in this task is to do it without using examples and inferences. If we have not authority for them, certainly we can't use them to derive our authority for them - that is circular logic.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks!

JDIBe

Oct 3, 2006
Midland, TX
✟9,039.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I do not want this to be a debate thread over the standard hermeneutic of "Command, Examples and Necessary Inference" (CENI). I intend to start another thread later for that purpose. I will kindly report all posts that violate this disclaimer, and I would really appreciate everyone's cooperation for the time being. There will be time to talk about this at large in a little while. For the moment, I would only like people to post who are going to define and defend CENI. Thank you in advance!

This is standard hermeneutic that is used by nearly everyone that I personally know. However, I have some questions about it that I have been mulling over in my head lately.

Normally, when I hear it talked about, I hear it defended from a philosophical or experiential perspective. What I mean is that someone will tell me that "we understand all written materials this way". Well, if you use that philosophical approach to writing, yes that is true, but there are other methods that may be used; if there weren't there would be no discussion about this topic :).

I have no problem seeing where God states that he expects people to follow his commands; that is all over the Bible. I am, however, having a problem finding a place where we are told to use examples and inferences.

Can anyone show me a place where someone in the Old Testament was punished for not inferring something correctly or for not following an example?

The difficulty in this task is to do it without using examples and inferences. If we have not authority for them, certainly we can't use them to derive our authority for them - that is circular logic.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I really appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks!
If you have the time, pick up a copy of "The Cultural Church", by F. LaGard Smith. He has some interesting things to say on the subject of hermenutics.

I would simply point out that if one cannot prove the invalidity of a particular method of interpretation without USING that method itself, that tends to lend credibility to the method in question. :) Now can one misapply a good thing? I think so. But that's another thread, another time.

I do find it funny though that if we interpreted our bosses comments at work with the same vagueness some scholars suggest we treat the Bible we would end up slapped, fired, or in some cases, in jail.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm not interested in vagueness, I can assure you that :). I am actually looking for a place where God tells us how to understand the Bible. He knows what we're like - he made us. He knows that we have a very, very, very hard time figuring things out on our own. I would assume then, and this is the only assumption I want to make, that God would make it very clear how we are to understand the Scriptures.

If this is the sole vehicle for the revelation of his will to mankind, then it makes sense for him to show us how to use it.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don't know if this fits what you have in mind, but here goes:

Matthew 22:23-33 occurs before Jesus' will was established, which means it falls under the Old Testament period when the law of Moses was in effect.

In this encounter with the Sadducees, Jesus draws an inference ... a necessary inference in verse 32. The inference is: "God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." The inference follows Jesus' quote of Exodus 3:6. The inference is not a part of the quote, but is the conclusion drawn by the correct understanding of the passage in its context. Long after Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were dead, God spoke in the present tense: "I am the God of ..." Therefore it implies/infers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are alive (in some sense). And, with such being the case, this passage supports Jesus' teaching under scrutiny by the Sadducees in this context - there will be a resurrection of the dead.

While I'm not sure if this is helpful concering what you are looking for, I am fully confident that necessary inferences are authorized by the Lord's word. I certainly don't consider Jesus as using circular reasoning.

Does this help? Or, are you looking for something different?

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I'm not interested in vagueness, I can assure you that :). I am actually looking for a place where God tells us how to understand the Bible. He knows what we're like - he made us. He knows that we have a very, very, very hard time figuring things out on our own. I would assume then, and this is the only assumption I want to make, that God would make it very clear how we are to understand the Scriptures.

If this is the sole vehicle for the revelation of his will to mankind, then it makes sense for him to show us how to use it.

As for understanding the Scriptures, I believe Matthew 4:5-7 is a really good place to start. Matthew 22:23-33 is another text that should be considered (briefly discussed in the previous post). Matthew 22:41-46 is another text that should be considered. I know these passages have helped me.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to make a quick note to thank you both -DRA- and JDIBe for their posts. I wanted to let you all know that I am looking over, studying and thinking about these things before posting more. Please don't allow the lack of an immediate response keep you, or others, from posting more information. :)

Upvote 0

Molal

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2007
United States of America
✟38,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Thomas Campbell's sixth proposition states:

That although inferences and deductions from scripture premises, when fairly inferred, may be truly called the doctrine of God's holy word: yet are they not formally binding upon the consciences of christians farther than they perceive the connection, and evidently see that they are so; for their faith must not stand in the wisdom of men; but in the power and veracity of God--therefore no such deductions can be made terms of communion, but do properly belong to the after and progressive edification of the church. Hence it is evident that no such deductions or inferential truths ought to have any place in the churchs's confession.​

How does this statement impact our understanding of necessary inference with respect to other peoples understanding. Do you believe that, even though others may not have the same conclusions as you, that they will....eventually? Or are we directed to find unity and ensure that we all come to the same conclusion?​

Upvote 0

freespiritchurch

Visiting after long absence
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2005
Ypsilanti
✟49,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

jmacvols

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
Tennessee
✟4,327.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's interesting that you equate logic and reason. Reason something abstract that all humans have. Logic is a specific set of rules that we can follow with our reason. They're not the same thing at all.

Alan

My purpose was not to define logic or reason, but to show that logic / reason must be used to understand the bible. I believe logic is one basis for reasoning, if one uses correct logic he will have sound reasoning.

From the link I posted, the idea that there is one church must be arrived at by the use of logic for the bible nowhere specifically says there is "one church". Since the idea of there being "one church" is arrived by human logic and reasoning, that is no reason for people to reject that there is one church. I am not sure if this is what aggie03 is looking for though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Apollos1

There are examples to follow in the NT (Is it inferred we should follow these?) –

Jesus – John 13:15 / 1 Peter 2:21.
Paul – Phil. 4:9
The Prophets set forth as examples in James 5:10.
Churches – 1 Ths. 1:7 – and see 7 churches in Asia set forth as examples in Revelations as to what they should be… and not be - by example and inference
Hebrews 11 – Examples of the faithful. By faith these examples acted to do what God had said to do.

Examples can teach: About God and about man. What to do and what not to do. Examples teach about living, sacrifice, and dying. Examples teach about obedience, faithfulness, and doctrine. Examples can magnify and exemplify God’s view toward obedience, sin, faith, salvation, grace, and toward His word.

Romans 15:4 – “Whatsoever things written aforetime were written for our learning…”
What is there to learn? What is inferred?

The OT teaches us many things including…

-That God keeps His promises. Example: Almost 500 years after the promise to Abraham, Israel receives the land of Canaan. Almost 2,000 years after His promise to Abraham all nations of the world are blessed through His seed, via Christ.

-God always blessed the obedient and provided a way for the faithful.
Example: See Noah @ Genesis 6 saved through water. Spies at Joshua 2:3. Elijah fed by the birds in 1 Kings 17. Naaman cleansed in 2 Kings 5, The nation – Exodus 14:29 passed through the sea on dry land.

-How God deals with man. Examples…

The Good: Enoch – Genesis 5. See Genesis 18 / Sodom and Gomorrah. Exodus 32:11-12 / Moses. The thought of being able to “negotiate” directly with God is overpowering! / Abraham – Genesis 22:16-18.

The Bad: Everybody – Genesis 6:5-7:21 / The Nation – 1 Chron. 6:15 / The likes of Jezzebel – 2 Kings 9:36.

The Ugly: David and Bathsheba - 2Sam 11:4,12:11 / Samson & Delilah – Judges 16:20-30 / Moses – Numbers 20:12 / The Nation – Numbers 32:11.

1 Corinthians 10:11 –“Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.”

Admonition? Just what can these examples bring to mind?

Let’s examine… - The Presumptuous:

Korah – Numbers 16:9 - “seemeth it a small thing…” that which God has done?

Verse 28 - And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that Jehovah hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.
Verse 31 – And it came to pass, as he made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them;
Verse 32 - and the earth opened its mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
- - - - - - - - -
Uzzah – 2 Samuel 6:6-7 - God said don’t touch the ark!

Verse 7 - And the anger of Jehovah was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.
- - - - - - - - - -
Nadab – Leviticus 10:1 – God wanted fire from the altar!

Verse 1 - And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took each of them his censer, and put fire therein, and laid incense thereon, and offered strange fire before Jehovah, which he had not commanded them.
Verse 2 - And there came forth fire from before Jehovah, and devoured them, and they died before Jehovah.
- - - - - - - - - -
The man of God (the prophet of) – 1 Kings 13.

Verse 9 - …for so was it charged me by the word of Jehovah, saying, Thou shalt eat no bread, nor drink water, neither return by the way that thou camest.
Verse 21 - Thus saith Jehovah, Forasmuch as thou hast been disobedient unto the mouth of Jehovah, and hast not kept the commandment which Jehovah thy God commanded thee,
Verse 22 - but camest back, and hast eaten bread and drunk water in the place of which he said to thee, Eat no bread, and drink no water; thy body shall not come unto the sepulchre of thy fathers.
Verse 24 - And when he was gone, a lion met him by the way, and slew him: and his body was cast in the way, and the ass stood by it; the lion also stood by the body.
- - - - - - - - - -
Saul – 1 Samuel 15:

Verse 20 – [Saul said] I have obeyed the voice of Jehovah…
Verse 22 - And Samuel said, Hath Jehovah as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
Verse 23 - For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. Because thou hast rejected the word of Jehovah, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
- - - - - - - - -

Allow me to make what I believe to be proper “inferences” from these things that were written for my learning and admonition…

-God means what He says and says what He means.
-God shows us HOW to interpret His word.
-To act presumptuously in religious matters is spiritually fatal.
-Obedience trumps self-sacrifice, rationalizations, and good intentions.
-To act under the pretense of SILENCE is folly in spiritual matters!

But now allow me to magnify the application of these “examples” before I close.

Hebrews 2:
Verse 1 - Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things that were heard, lest haply we drift away from them.
Verse 2 - For if the word spoken through angels proved stedfast [it did !],
and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward [and they did !];
Verse 3 - how shall we escape, if we neglect so great a salvation? [We won’t !!!]

I believe that it is inferred by the writer of Hebrews that God was serious about the things that took place under the old covenant – and then infers that God is more serious about the spiritual matters that are to take place under the new covenant. (cf. Hebrews 10:28-29).

It appears to me that ALL NT matters of the church (organization, worship, and work), as well as the preaching and practices of Christians today are “no small thing” before Jehovah God Almighty – just as we have been admonished that similar matters weren’t under the old. Therefore – we need to give the more earnest heed!

Psalms 19:13 - Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me: Then shall I be upright, And I shall be clear from great transgression.

Upvote 0

aggie03

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Jun 13, 2002
Columbus, TX
Visit site
✟19,529.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are examples to follow in the NT (Is it inferred we should follow these?) –

Jesus – John 13:15 / 1 Peter 2:21.
Paul – Phil. 4:9
The Prophets set forth as examples in James 5:10.
Churches – 1 Ths. 1:7 – and see 7 churches in Asia set forth as examples in Revelations as to what they should be… and not be - by example and inference
Hebrews 11 – Examples of the faithful. By faith these examples acted to do what God had said to do.

Examples can teach: About God and about man. What to do and what not to do. Examples teach about living, sacrifice, and dying. Examples teach about obedience, faithfulness, and doctrine. Examples can magnify and exemplify God’s view toward obedience, sin, faith, salvation, grace, and toward His word.

Romans 15:4 – “Whatsoever things written aforetime were written for our learning…”
What is there to learn? What is inferred?

The OT teaches us many things including…

-That God keeps His promises. Example: Almost 500 years after the promise to Abraham, Israel receives the land of Canaan. Almost 2,000 years after His promise to Abraham all nations of the world are blessed through His seed, via Christ.

-God always blessed the obedient and provided a way for the faithful.
Example: See Noah @ Genesis 6 saved through water. Spies at Joshua 2:3. Elijah fed by the birds in 1 Kings 17. Naaman cleansed in 2 Kings 5, The nation – Exodus 14:29 passed through the sea on dry land.

-How God deals with man. Examples…

The Good: Enoch – Genesis 5. See Genesis 18 / Sodom and Gomorrah. Exodus 32:11-12 / Moses. The thought of being able to “negotiate” directly with God is overpowering! / Abraham – Genesis 22:16-18.

The Bad: Everybody – Genesis 6:5-7:21 / The Nation – 1 Chron. 6:15 / The likes of Jezzebel – 2 Kings 9:36.

The Ugly: David and Bathsheba - 2Sam 11:4,12:11 / Samson & Delilah – Judges 16:20-30 / Moses – Numbers 20:12 / The Nation – Numbers 32:11.

1 Corinthians 10:11 –“Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.”

Admonition? Just what can these examples bring to mind?

Let’s examine… - The Presumptuous:

Korah – Numbers 16:9 - “seemeth it a small thing…” that which God has done?

Verse 28 - And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that Jehovah hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind.
Verse 31 – And it came to pass, as he made an end of speaking all these words, that the ground clave asunder that was under them;
Verse 32 - and the earth opened its mouth, and swallowed them up, and their households, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods.
- - - - - - - - -
Uzzah – 2 Samuel 6:6-7 - God said don’t touch the ark!

Verse 7 - And the anger of Jehovah was kindled against Uzzah; and God smote him there for his error; and there he died by the ark of God.
- - - - - - - - - -
Nadab – Leviticus 10:1 – God wanted fire from the altar!

Verse 1 - And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took each of them his censer, and put fire therein, and laid incense thereon, and offered strange fire before Jehovah, which he had not commanded them.
Verse 2 - And there came forth fire from before Jehovah, and devoured them, and they died before Jehovah.
- - - - - - - - - -
The man of God (the prophet of) – 1 Kings 13.

Verse 9 - …for so was it charged me by the word of Jehovah, saying, Thou shalt eat no bread, nor drink water, neither return by the way that thou camest.
Verse 21 - Thus saith Jehovah, Forasmuch as thou hast been disobedient unto the mouth of Jehovah, and hast not kept the commandment which Jehovah thy God commanded thee,
Verse 22 - but camest back, and hast eaten bread and drunk water in the place of which he said to thee, Eat no bread, and drink no water; thy body shall not come unto the sepulchre of thy fathers.
Verse 24 - And when he was gone, a lion met him by the way, and slew him: and his body was cast in the way, and the ass stood by it; the lion also stood by the body.
- - - - - - - - - -
Saul – 1 Samuel 15:

Verse 20 – [Saul said] I have obeyed the voice of Jehovah…
Verse 22 - And Samuel said, Hath Jehovah as great delight in burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of Jehovah? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
Verse 23 - For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as idolatry and teraphim. Because thou hast rejected the word of Jehovah, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
- - - - - - - - -

Allow me to make what I believe to be proper “inferences” from these things that were written for my learning and admonition…

-God means what He says and says what He means.
-God shows us HOW to interpret His word.
-To act presumptuously in religious matters is spiritually fatal.
-Obedience trumps self-sacrifice, rationalizations, and good intentions.
-To act under the pretense of SILENCE is folly in spiritual matters!

But now allow me to magnify the application of these “examples” before I close.

Hebrews 2:
Verse 1 - Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things that were heard, lest haply we drift away from them.
Verse 2 - For if the word spoken through angels proved stedfast [it did !],
and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward [and they did !];
Verse 3 - how shall we escape, if we neglect so great a salvation? [We won’t !!!]

I believe that it is inferred by the writer of Hebrews that God was serious about the things that took place under the old covenant – and then infers that God is more serious about the spiritual matters that are to take place under the new covenant. (cf. Hebrews 10:28-29).

It appears to me that ALL NT matters of the church (organization, worship, and work), as well as the preaching and practices of Christians today are “no small thing” before Jehovah God Almighty – just as we have been admonished that similar matters weren’t under the old. Therefore – we need to give the more earnest heed!

Psalms 19:13 - Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; Let them not have dominion over me: Then shall I be upright, And I shall be clear from great transgression.
I would classify most of the things that you've mentioned above as illustrations of precepts that were already known and understood. It was already known that no one but the Levites should touch the ark - Uzzah is an illustration of punishment for that transgression.

The same can be said with regard to David and Saul, Nadab, Abihu and Korah.

What I was referring to with my question, is where is there a command given that allows men to make things binding through only the use of an example when there was no previous command.

Does that help to clarify what I am looking for?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would classify most of the things that you've mentioned above as illustrations of precepts that were already known and understood. It was already known that no one but the Levites should touch the ark - Uzzah is an illustration of punishment for that transgression.

What I was referring to with my question, is where is there a command given that allows men to make things binding through only the use of an example when there was no previous command.

I can not think of any example for what you are asking.

Did Adam or Eve “infer” from God’s command not to eat the fruit that you were not allowed to tough the tree? If Eve saw an animal toughing the tree and not dying could she have inferred that the fruit would also not hurt you?

Our freedom in Christ is very scary, I like nice tight rules.

Upvote 0

- DRA -

Jan 21, 2004
Texas
✟4,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My 2 cents worth ...

Not sure where you are coming from or going ...

As for an example not preceded by a command that we should follow, Rahab's faith comes to mind. Joshua chapter 2. James 2:25.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
aggie03 is asking for a specific instance in scripture where punishment was meted out for breaking a command that wasn't specifically given; in other words, where the listener was expected to infer a command from a story, example or some other source.

The only example that comes to my mind is Cain's sacrifice. There is no prior text to indicate that they were told how or what to sacrifice, but obviously Cain's was not pleasing.

I have to wonder if the whole concept of animal sacrifice wasn't the result of inference from this story. We are not told exactly why Cain's sacrifice was rejected; for years I assumed it was because he offered plants instead of an animal. Now, I don't think that's the case; Cain gave "some" of his fruits, while Abel gave the "fat portions from the firstborn". Abel gave the best portions to God, before he took any for himself, while Cain took random portions for God and himself at the same time. Did the later Israelites sacrifice animals because they'd been instructed, or did they do it as inferred from Abel's favored sacrifice?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
aggie03 is asking for a specific instance in scripture where punishment was meted out for breaking a command that wasn't specifically given; in other words, where the listener was expected to infer a command from a story, example or some other source.

The only example that comes to my mind is Cain's sacrifice. There is no prior text to indicate that they were told how or what to sacrifice, but obviously Cain's was not pleasing.

I have to wonder if the whole concept of animal sacrifice wasn't the result of inference from this story. We are not told exactly why Cain's sacrifice was rejected; for years I assumed it was because he offered plants instead of an animal. Now, I don't think that's the case; Cain gave "some" of his fruits, while Abel gave the "fat portions from the firstborn". Abel gave the best portions to God, before he took any for himself, while Cain took random portions for God and himself at the same time. Did the later Israelites sacrifice animals because they'd been instructed, or did they do it as inferred from Abel's favored sacrifice?

The Hebrews had plant offerings also. Somewhere along the line or maybe even miraculously written on their hearts people knew what pleased and displeased God. With Cain and Abel it does seem to be their attitude more or even exclusively over the physical form of the sacrifice. We know god was not pleased with Cain’s heart in the sacrifice, but we do not know if god was unhappy with the form “plants”, as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

God started it off by sacrificing two animals to provide skins for Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

jmacvols

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
Tennessee
✟4,327.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Could it possibly be this?

Heb 11:4 says "By faith Abel offered a more excellent sacrifice than Cain".

Rom 10:17 faith comes by hearing the word of God.

So at some point, though not recorded, God told Cain and Abel what type of sacrifice He wanted, both heard but only Abel did by faith what God said.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God started it off by sacrificing two animals to provide skins for Adam and Eve.

That would certainly be inference, then. :D

Could it possibly be this?

Heb 11:4 says "By faith Abel offered a more excellent sacrifice than Cain".

Rom 10:17 faith comes by hearing the word of God.

So at some point, though not recorded, God told Cain and Abel what type of sacrifice He wanted, both heard but only Abel did by faith what God said.

On the other hand, this would NOT imply inference, leaving the original question unanswered.

Upvote 0

jmacvols

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
Tennessee
✟4,327.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Does this fit what you're asking?

In Exo 20:5 God say not to bow down to graven images.

In Ex 32:4 they made a golden calf, which they sat before and ate and drank and played, v6, and danced, v19. God said not to bow, God never said not to eat, drink, play or dance before idols, yet they were punished, vs 33-35.

Upvote 0