Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Mormonism is closer to the popular depiction of the First-century church. Our organization is quite close to the First-century church that the apostles set up, than to the medieval Roman Church.
The OO people and the RC people may continue to scoff at The Church of Jesus Chrsit,

Your religion's organization is NOT The Church of Jesus Christ OR The Church of Jesus Chrsit! And it is deceptive to call it that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The testimony of JS will just grow louder as the years go on, and we will continue to get the world ready for the second coming of Christ. We are not concerned with the OO converting in force at this time, so do not get worried, yet.

Christians aren't worried. A Wolf in Disguise.jpgThese have lost the battle.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Amen! Can we get this printed on a t-shirt or something and then send one each to every member of the Quorum of the Apostles or whatever the top Mormon leadership level is called?

Do you have any idea what sort of negative publicity it'll generate for you, and by proxy your entire belief system?

It's going to be seen as the Eastern Orthodox declaring open theological war.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Christians aren't worried. View attachment 258750These have lost the battle.

If only mainline Christianity would express this same level of outrage when real wolves among their own flocks were discovered...

No, seriously.

It seems like every time a new figure rises to the top of the Christian counter-cult a basic background check reveals them to be nothing more than a con artist.

Same thing with a lot of televangelist types.

Might want to do some internal house-cleaning before worrying about anyone else.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Do you have any idea what sort of negative publicity it'll generate for you, and by proxy your entire belief system?

Oh no! :eek:

It's going to be seen as the Eastern Orthodox declaring open theological war.

Uh...okay. They'll have to deal with it, then. Doesn't seem quite fair, if you ask me... :scratch:

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Uh...okay. They'll have to deal with it, then. Doesn't seem quite fair, if you ask me... :scratch:

Is it fair when every last person in the main body of the LDS faith gets blamed for some random dude on TV who went too far with something?

No.

But it happens. Dozens of times over.

...Due in large part to a propaganda machine built in part by the Christian counter-cult.

How did you expect a publicity stunt like what was proposed to go over, if not as a direct declaration of theological war?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't think you've grasped my point, and I don't know what theological war is, so I don't know what to say to that.

Mormonism already went to theological war with Christianity by starting in the first place. And you lost. This is why everyone in Christianity, even those who otherwise might not agree with each other, has cast your religion out of the Christian fold that it so desparately tries to claim a place in. Your religion needs us, the Christians, and our spiritual patrimony and material culture -- our Bible which you mangle, our ecclesiology which you blatantly steal from, our central figures and concepts which you redefine to your supposed benefit like the Gnostics of old whom you are in the line of -- but we do not need you.

So you've lost already just by being. Take away Mormonism, and it will be just like every other year in the history of Christianity and in the world in general before 1830. Nothing really changes. Take away the Christian religion which Mormonism tries so hard to be a legitimate replacement of, and what happens to Mormonism? It goes poof. Joseph Smith remains some nobody who wrote a fiction book that he tried to sell, but now it is without basis, there's no 'hook' to it with which to draw in a bunch of gullible poor fools like Martin Harris and the like.

You'll never win anything. God doesn't allow blatant frauds to go on forever without recompense to those they have robbed of the truth and damaged by lies.

Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So what does he have to do with Christianity, besides borrowing from some of its central characters to prop up his gnosticism? I asked for historical Christian writers. Bardaisan wasn't a Christian. There were so-called "Christian Gnostics" (which is a modern term anyway), but they weren't called that because they were recognizably Christian (i.e., they weren't a part of the Church), but because they used Christian figures and symbology in their stories about their own gods and their own cosmology (Gnostics loved big cosmological diagrams and complex divisions of the heavens into a bunch of different categories).

(Good thing nobody like that is still around today! :sorry:)

Yeah, and I didn't ask if you knew about them, I said you don't quote any early Christian writers. So by your logic, since you don't write posts like mine, which do quote such early Christian leaders (not just say "I know about [name]"), you cannot criticize the things I post.

Yes, but you should know then the ones who are not to be followed, which you obviously don't, because you follow a modern day Gnostic cult instead of Christianity. Christ says His message will divide the family, but there is an expectation then that you will follow Him, and not after whatever falsehood your fathers may have followed.

Here, our father the champion over heresies HH St. Cyril of Alexandria explains how to understand the passage you've quoted, in his 94th sermon on Luke:

Would you like to see the effects of this divine and rational fire? hear then again His words: "Or think you that I am come to give peace upon earth? I tell you, no, but division." And yet Christ is our peace, according to the Scriptures. "He has broken down the middle wall: He has united the two people in one now man, so making peace: and has reconciled both in one body unto the Father." He has united the things below to them that are above: how therefore did He not come to give peace upon earth? What then say we to these things?

That peace is an honourable and truly excellent thing when given by God. For the prophets also say; "Lord, grant us peace: for You have given us all things." But not every peace necessarily is free from blame: there is sometimes, so to speak, an unsafe peace, and which separates from the love of God those who, without discretion or examination, set too high a value upon it. As for instance: the determination to avoid evil men. and refuse to be at peace with them;----by which I mean the not submitting to entertain the same sentiments as they do;----is a thing profitable and useful to us. And in like manner the opposite course is injurious to those who have believed in Christ, and attained to the knowledge of His mystery: to such it is unprofitable to be willing to follow the same sentiments as those who wander away from the right path, and have fallen into the net of heathen error, or been caught in the snares of wicked heresies. With these it is honourable to contend, and to set the battle constantly in array against them, and to glory in holding opposite sentiments; so that even though it be a father that believes not, the son is free from blame who contradicts him, and resists his opinions. And in like manner also the father, if he be a believer, and true unto God, but his son disobedient and evilly disposed, and that opposes the glory of Christ, is also free from blame, if he disregard natural affection, and disowns him as his child. And the same reasoning holds with respect to mother and daughter: and daughter-in-law and mother-in-law. For it is right that those who are in error should follow those who are sound in mind: and not, on the contrary, that those should give way whose choice is to entertain correct sentiments, and who have a sound knowledge of the glory of God.

And this Christ has also declared to us in another manner; "He that loves father or mother more than Me, is not worthy of Me: and he that loves son or daughter more than Me, is not worthy of Me." When therefore you deny an earthly father for your piety's sake towards Christ, then shall you gain as Father Him "Who is in heaven. And if you give up a brother because he dishonours God, by refusing to serve Him, Christ will accept you as His brother: for with His other bounties He has given us this also, saying; "I will declare Your Name unto My brethren." Leave your mother after the flesh, and take her who is above, the heavenly Jerusalem, "which is our mother:" so will you find a glorious and mighty lineage in the family of the saints. With them you will be heir of God's gifts, which neither the mind can comprehend, nor language tell. Of which may we too be counted worthy by the grace and loving-kindness of Christ, the Saviour of us all; by Whom and with Whom, to God the Father be praise and dominion, with the Holy Spirit, for ever and ever, Amen.
So the passage is not a mere observation that this would happen (there are, after all, all the verses that LDS claim are evidence of the 'great apostasy' which do say that many will come later confessing other things; you, if you are a Christian, will be expected to profess Christ), but a prophetic promise that this would happen, and a warning to follow the right path in discerning who is really teaching of God.

You said: "Yeah, and I didn't ask if you knew about them, I said you don't quote any early Christian writers. So by your logic, since you don't write posts like mine, which do quote such early Christian leaders (not just say "I know about [name]"), you cannot criticize the things I post."

Okay then, can we make this unilateral.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I don't think you've grasped my point, and I don't know what theological war is, so I don't know what to say to that.

If you think "I don't believe you to have correct theology" is a declaration of war, then that tells me you've not seen as much as you appear to believe you have seen.

I'm talking "One entire denomination declaring that they intend to actively target, tear down, and destroy another denomination."

That's what a stunt like what you proposed would be seen as: a declaration of intent to utterly annihilate, possibly even through acts of violence.

...And yes, even here on the forums I recall people saying "You Mormons declared war on us, so why should we care if someone hurts or kills you?".

Mormonism already went to theological war with Christianity by starting in the first place. And you lost.

So "holding steady even when people turn churning out hate literature into a cottage industry" is somehow a loss?

Or "getting permission to build a temple behind the Iron Curtain because we went in through the front door"?

Or "whether you want to admit it or not, members of the church are slowly shaping the culture as we know it"?

Remember -> it was a Mormon who invented television as we know it; we wouldn't even be having this conversation without that.

This is why everyone in Christianity, even those who otherwise might not agree with each other, has cast your religion out of the Christian fold that it so desparately tries to claim a place in.

You mean like the ministers who have apologized for the bullying tactics of anti-Mormons?

Or the National Council of Christians and Jews when they denounced "The Godmakers" as "hate" material?

Even people within mainline Christianity are starting to realize that mainline Christianity has gone too far, so much so that elements thereof are poisoning the body as a whole to get at us.

Yes, I was once witness to an exchange where a Protestant minister so publicly behaved in a vile fashion that someone declared their intention to join us to get away from him and any denomination that would have him as a minister.

Take away the Christian religion which Mormonism tries so hard to be a legitimate replacement of, and what happens to Mormonism?

It continues merrily along, still drawing lines in the sand over issues where other denominations are giving in to the way of the world and still trying to go through the front door wherever possible.

God doesn't allow blatant frauds to go on forever without recompense to those they have robbed of the truth and damaged by lies.

...Which is why the Christian counter-cult needs to do some *serious* house-cleaning and pronto...

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
In all seriousness, every time some minister yells at a teenage boy that if the boy doesn't throw his Book of Mormon away the minister will seize it and do it for him, Christianity as a whole suffers for such a display.

Yes, that happened to a friend of mine back in junior high: he told me that he tried to read it once to study things for himself and his minister flew off the handle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If you think "I don't believe you to have correct theology" is a declaration of war, then that tells me you've not seen as much as you appear to believe you have seen.

I don't know what you are trying to say here.

I'm talking "One entire denomination declaring that they intend to actively target, tear down, and destroy another denomination."

Oh, you mean like how Mormons do with their door to door proselytizing of Christians? Or is this just a bad thing if other people do it to Mormons?

That's what a stunt like what you proposed would be seen as: a declaration of intent to utterly annihilate, possibly even through acts of violence.

Yeah..I'm glad you liked my idea enough to take it totally seriously and obsess over it for several posts now, but I don't think God needs me and a dozen t-shirts in order to destroy Mormonism (and I don't know where the violence is coming from in this plan; I guess they could accidentally strangle themselves or trip and fall over while putting them on or something, if your leaders are exceptionally dumb or uncoordinated, but how would I know that ahead of time?). I think He's doing a pretty darn good job with ex-members here on CF, at websites like exmormonfoundation.org, the ex-Mormon reddit page (with 125,000 people on it); YouTube channels like iamanexmormon, Brother Jake, New Name Noah, etc.; with comparative religion series' from various Christian perspectives (Ancient Faith Radio's "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" series has a bit on Mormonism during its episode on new religions; the Southern US Diocese of the Coptic Orthodox Church has a whole unit on Mormons and JWs in its religious education courses; entire ministries, particularly in Utah, are founded by ex-Mormons to reach Mormons and get them out of the cult, etc.); and so on.

...And yes, even here on the forums I recall people saying "You Mormons declared war on us, so why should we care if someone hurts or kills you?".

Alright...you joined here in February of 2014, whereas I joined in August of that same year, so I guess some really crazy things could've in the seven months or so between the two dates, but I don't recall ever seeing such a thing here. I think you might have a better memory for things you consider violence and threats than I do, seeing as how you're always bringing them up, and tend to see them in places where I don't, as I mentioned above.

So "holding steady even when people turn churning out hate literature into a cottage industry" is somehow a loss?

No. Attempting for nearly two centuries to convert the entire planet to your cult, and still only having some minor Micronesian islands to your name for all your trouble would seem to indicate that your religion is not quite the true, Christianity-restoring, revealed faith that you claim it is. Being rejected at basically every turn by everyone who knows the scriptures that you supposedly base your faith on (the Bible, not the two JS-authored works) shows that basically everyone who knows thing one about Christianity knows to avoid your missionaries like a flaming bag of dog business on the porch.

Or "getting permission to build a temple behind the Iron Curtain because we went in through the front door"?

What is that supposed to prove, exactly? The Iron Curtain hasn't been up since 1991. Are you still stuck in the 1990s when Mormonism was actually growing rapidly, as opposed to now, when its growth rate has slowed to the point where the 2017 numbers represented the fewest converts of any year in the previous 30 years? Besides, it doesn't' seem as though there could be very many people ever using that temple, as the Mormon population of Russia is only about 20,000 (and that's rounding up), out of a total population of 146 million (and that's rounding down) -- or 0.01%.

So, yeah. Super impressive. One hundredth of one percent. There are substantially more Christians than that in North Korea. Now, if you guys managed to open up a temple there right now, that'd be something! I still wouldn't believe in your religion, but it'd be far more impressive than gloating over something that you guys did decades ago.

Or "whether you want to admit it or not, members of the church are slowly shaping the culture as we know it"?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Thanks. I needed the laugh.

Remember -> it was a Mormon who invented television as we know it; we wouldn't even be having this conversation without that.

Remember: it was a non-Mormon who invented the computer,a non-Mormon who invented the telephone; a non-Mormon who invented the lightbulb; a non-Mormon who founded the postal system; a non-Mormon who invented the wheel; a non-Mormon who domesticated the horse; a non-Mormon who discovered fire...stop me when I get to something that actually makes a point about anything...

You mean like the ministers who have apologized for the bullying tactics of anti-Mormons?

No. It's only you that equates other people disagreeing with you with automatically being bullies and violent and all of this nonsense, so no, that's obviously not what I mean.

Or the National Council of Christians and Jews when they denounced "The Godmakers" as "hate" material?

Nor that. If it weren't for the internet and the fact that the cartoon in that film is so hilarious (about the "Mormon Jesus" and the "Mormon Elohim"...you know the one, I'm sure), I doubt anyone would even remember "The Godmakers" now. Well, that and the fact that you like to bring it up nearly as much as the anti-Mormons you talk about do.

Even people within mainline Christianity are starting to realize that mainline Christianity has gone too far, so much so that elements thereof are poisoning the body as a whole to get at us.

You write like a 'reporter' for the National Inquirer. "Sources say", "Some people believe", "People within mainline Christianity", etc. Get out of here with your vague accusations and assertions about people who for all anyone knows only exist inside your own head to further your narrative of persecution and triumph over enemies in every place.

Yes, I was once witness to an exchange where a Protestant minister so publicly behaved in a vile fashion that someone declared their intention to join us to get away from him and any denomination that would have him as a minister.

Wow. I'm impressed how your religion could so convince someone I've never heard of who may not exist to not be like someone else I've never of who may not exist. Your religion sure must be true. That sure says a lot about your religion. Not about the way that the guy was acting, but about your religion.

Yep. That's what it says. That's what I take out of the story, because I have no critical thinking skills whatsoever. Where do I sign up to be a Mormon?

It continues merrily along, still drawing lines in the sand over issues where other denominations are giving in to the way of the world and still trying to go through the front door wherever possible.

Hahahahahahaha.

This was almost as funny as the bit you said about Mormons shaping the culture. Not quite, but almost. Maybe you should quit your job at the National Mormon Inquirer and go be a comedian.

...Which is why the Christian counter-cult needs to do some *serious* house-cleaning and pronto...

I don't know what you're even talking about with this. I was talking about Mormonism and the fact that the internet is exposing it to have more holes in its history, theology, and apologetics than the world's largest round of Swiss cheese. You're talking about the "Christian counter-cult movement" instead, because I guess that's what you've been exposed to a lot. I kinda doubt that those of us in actual Christian churches would've had all that much contact with such a movement, let alone been targeted at our churches by it, yet Mormons such as yourself talk a lot about first-hand experience with this "Christian counter-cult movement".

I wonder why that could be. Hmmmmmmm. :scratch::idea:

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your religion's organization is NOT The Church of Jesus Christ OR The Church of Jesus Chrsit! And it is deceptive to call it that.
Since Jesus was the founder of the church and he said to call it after his name, who are you to deny him his wish? Jesus told JS to call his church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the Church of Jesus Christ of First-century Saints. Like it of not, you do not get a say in the matter.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That's a childish response! The Book of Mormon is mostly conglomerated from various sources and no Christian would try to write such nonsense to confuse the naive into thinking it's scripture! I'm positive dzheremi has better things to do with his time than that!
All you have to do is come up with 1 of the various sources that JS used to translate the BOM. Please, just 1.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Since Jesus was the founder of the church and he said to call it after his name, who are you to deny him his wish? Jesus told JS to call his church the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the Church of Jesus Christ of First-century Saints. Like it of not, you do not get a say in the matter.

I never tell Jesus what He can do. If Jesus told Joseph Smith anything, Joseph didn't listen.

Joseph Smith founded your church with gullible followers:

The LDS Church traces its founding to April 6, 1830, when Joseph Smith and five other men formally established the Church of Christ.[1][2] The church was known by this name from 1830 to 1834.[3][4]

In the 1830s, the fact that a number of U.S. churches, including some Congregational churches and Restoration Movement churches, also used the name "Church of Christ" caused a considerable degree of confusion.[4] In May 1834, the church adopted a resolution that the church would be known thereafter as "The Church of the Latter Day Saints".[4][5] At various times the church was also referred to as "The Church of Jesus Christ",[6] "The Church of God",[6] and "The Church of Christ of Latter Day Saints".[3][4]

In the late 1830s, Smith founded a new headquarters in Far West, Missouri. At Far West on April 26, 1838, Smith recorded a revelation from God renaming the organization the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints".[7][8] The church was known by this name until after Smith's death in 1844; occasionally the name would be written with a hyphen between the words "Latter" and "Day".

After Smith's death, competing Latter Day Saint denominations organized under the leadership of a number of successors. The largest of these, led by Brigham Young, continued using "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" until incorporation in 1851 by the legislature of the provisional State of Deseret, when the church standardized the spelling of its name as "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", which included a hyphenated "Latter-day" and a British-style lower-case "d".[9] In January 1855, the legislature of Utah Territory re-enacted the charter which incorporated the church under this name.[9]
Name of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Joseph had ample opportunity for such informal tutoring. Joseph’s father worked as a schoolteacher for a time. So did Emma. And Joseph’s distant cousin Oliver Cowdery, who served as Joseph’s scribe for the majority of the Book of Mormon, also taught school.

"Even if we take Joseph’s formal schooling as the only educational experience available to him, lack of education was not an insurmountable obstacle for talented authors.; Mark Twain left school for good at the age of twelve. Abraham Lincoln’s total formal education may have consisted as few as twelve months. Both of these contemporaries of Joseph Smith authored works of comparable complexity and profundity as the Book of Mormon."
Fact-Checking Mormon History: Could Joseph Smith have Authored the Book of Mormon?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
"Joseph had ample opportunity for such informal tutoring. Joseph’s father worked as a schoolteacher for a time. So did Emma. And Joseph’s distant cousin Oliver Cowdery, who served as Joseph’s scribe for the majority of the Book of Mormon, also taught school.

"Even if we take Joseph’s formal schooling as the only educational experience available to him, lack of education was not an insurmountable obstacle for talented authors.; Mark Twain left school for good at the age of twelve. Abraham Lincoln’s total formal education may have consisted as few as twelve months. Both of these contemporaries of Joseph Smith authored works of comparable complexity and profundity as the Book of Mormon."
Fact-Checking Mormon History: Could Joseph Smith have Authored the Book of Mormon?
No, Joseph Smith could not have authored the Book of Mormon. In my opinion, neither Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain authored works of comparable to the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
No, Joseph Smith could not have authored the Book of Mormon.

Why not? This is the exact same argument that the members of other restorationist religions like Islam use for their books: "Our prophet couldn't have authored the book! He wasn't literate/smart enough/educated enough!" Okay, and that prevents him from dictating it to his scribes how? Same deal with JS: It doesn't matter if he was dumber than a box of rocks if he had enough imagination and enough people in on the scam (either knowingly or unknowingly).

In my opinion, neither Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain authored works of comparable to the Book of Mormon.

Well I guess that settles it. The Mormon doesn't believe that the Book of Mormon could've been authored by the Mormon prophet. Therefore it had to be from God. Those are the only two choices, apparently, even though there's no evidence of JS ever actually 'translating' anything, golden plates or not. (See: JS Papyri, the Kinderhook plates forgery.)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Christian God has already won the battle.jpg :)

Upvote 0