Come Into The Deep End... with ImHisServant (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImHisServant

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord!!
Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, since the thread was split, guess I'll repost this here.

Yay, I remembered!!! :D I know I haven't posted many responses to the topics lately, I've been busy! I will plan to come back and post either later today or tomorrow (I'm off work tomorrow--Yay!!!)

How's Your Love Life?, Part 6

Series: How's Your Love Life?
We've been looking at one of the very most important subjects in all of God's Word, and that's the matter of our love life. How's your love life?
We looked in our last session at the fact that love is patient. Love is long-suffering. Love does not retaliate. Now we come to the second characteristic, that love is kind. One writer has said that patience, the first characteristic, will take anything from others. But kindness will give anything to others, even to its enemies.
Kindness is a giving love. It's being useful, serving in graciousness--it's active goodwill toward others. It's not enough just to feel kindly toward others, it's important that we express kindness in tangible ways that communicate the love of God to others.

Remember as we take this test, if you're like me, and you hear these characteristics--and I've been mulling over these for a long time before teaching these sessions--I come away from those study periods feeling like such a failure. There is no way I will ever be able to love in this way. I'll never be as kind as I need to be, as patient and long-suffering as I need to be.

That's the first key to developing the love of God--to realize that I will never be able to love that way by myself. There is nothing loving in me. No matter how long I've walked with the Lord I will never have any natural love inside of me, not that selfless kind of love, not that love that gives to meet the needs of others without expecting anything in return. How do I get that love? I have to continually acknowledge to God that I don't have it, confess it to Him, and then ask Him to fill me with Himself, with His Spirit, with His love.

Love acts kindly toward others. There are some wonderful illustrations of this in the Scripture; but one that comes to mind, in particular, is the story of Joseph. Remember the last several chapters of Genesis? Remember how Joseph experienced one event after another at the hands of people who treated him wrongly. He was mistreated, misjudged, abused, misused, and a lot of the abuse came at the hands of his brothers, his brothers who were jealous of him. We're going to see that love is not jealous.

His brothers did not love, but Joseph was a man of a different spirit. Years after he had first suffered at the hands of his brothers, and they'd been separated for years--there came a time when his brothers came to Egypt. Joseph was now second in command in Egypt; and he was in a position where he could have taken vengeance on everyone who had ever wronged him, including his brothers. His brothers came to Egypt. They didn't recognize Joseph at first, but finally Joseph identified himself to them. The brothers, as you can imagine, must have been terrified! "What is Joseph going to do to us? He was powerless when we wounded him, but now he's a very powerful man. What might he do?"

Genesis 45 tells us his response. He said to his brothers, "You will dwell in the land of Goshen--[Here there's a special place where I have set apart for you to live]--and you shall be near to me, you and your children. There I will provide for you, lest you and your household and all that you have come to poverty. For there are still five years of famine left" (v. 10). Then the Scripture says, "He gave them provisions for the journey back to Israel. He gave them changes of garments (clothing), ten donkeys loaded with the good things of Egypt and 10 donkeys loaded with grain, bread and food."

That's kindness at work. Joseph owed his brothers nothing; but instead filled with the love of God, he said, "I choose the pathway of kindness." He gave provisions to them. He said, "I'll meet your needs." He did it in practical ways--food and clothes and a place to live. Think about the person who has most wronged you. Can you imagine yourself saying, "What can I do to meet your practical, physical, material needs?" That's kindness. I know some of us are looking a little shocked, like how could that ever be? It cannot be--unless God loves others through us. The kindness of God is what motivates our kindness.

You know what the Book of Romans (Rom. 2:4) tells us, and that is that the kindness of God leads us to repentance. God is kind to us in giving His Son for us and pouring out mercy on us and meeting our needs--our physical needs, our emotional needs, our spiritual needs--when we were rebels against Him. We were His enemies. We killed His Son! And God says, "Draw near to Me. I've got a place for you to live in heaven forever. I'll give you spiritual food. I'll come into your life. I'll eat with you and let you eat with me. I want a relationship with you. I'll minister to your needs." Our hearts cry out, "O God! We don't deserve your kindness. How could you be so kind to us?" Then what happens? We're moved to repentance. The kindness of God provokes us to repent of our wrongdoing. Kindness--giving to others in useful service.

I think that one of the places that kindness is most important and most neglected, perhaps, is--where? Inside the four walls of our own homes or with the people who know us the best. Why are they the ones we're supposed to love the most, and we tend so often to take them for granted? And why is it that so often in our homes, we are more kind to guests and to strangers--to visitors--than we are to those that we live with? Why do we take for granted those that we know the best?

You know, if someone comes into my home and spills something on the carpet--it has happened--or makes a mess or breaks something, I'm quick to say, as you would be if I were visiting in your home, "Oh, it's no problem. Here let me fix that! I'll pick it up. That vase, it wasn't worth anything." It was an antique, but--no problem.

And we're quick--I'm quick when guests come to my home to show kindness. I want to often take time to make sure there's a little note next to the bed in the guest room on the night stand there. We'll sometimes make sure that there are candles lit in that guest room part of the house. I want to show acts of kindness: "What can I get you for breakfast?'' I'm not a breakfast eater; I'm not into fixing breakfast. I'm really, actually, not into mornings! But if I have a guest, I'm going to show kindness.

What about the members of my own family? If there's a guest in my home and she wants to talk about something that is of interest to her, I'm going to take as long as she wants to sit there and listen. I'm going to be kind and attentive. But what about when I'm with my mother, my brothers, my sisters--those that I've known all my life--and they want to tell me a story or something that is happening in their lives, and I've got a book that I'm more interested in reading at the moment? Are you kind in your own home? Are you kind to those that you know the best, those who are going to put up with you even if you aren't kind, those that you maybe take for granted?

There's such an importance in doing kind acts, and this is one of the things that has always marked women of God. Holy women of God do kind acts of service with hospitality, with cards, with notes, with being sensitive to the needs of others. It's not only important to have kind acts, (but) also to have a kind spirit in the way that we perform those acts, and then to speak kind words. There's that little verse in the Proverbs, I kind of wish it wasn't there sometimes. Proverbs 31:26 says that the wise (or virtuous) woman, that on her tongue is the law of kindness. When she opens her mouth to speak, the words that come out are kind words.

Are you a kind woman--kind acts, kind spirit, kind words? Are you quick to be helpful, to render service to others, to look for opportunities to minister to the needs of others? Jesus went about doing good. As we are filled with His Spirit, with His love, we will go from this place where it's easy to be kind, back to our homes, our workplaces, our relationships, and we will be kind, doing good as He has done to us.

Reactions: Smileyill
Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There's that little verse in the Proverbs, I kind of wish it wasn't there sometimes. Proverbs 31:26 says that the wise (or virtuous) woman, that on her tongue is the law of kindness. When she opens her mouth to speak, the words that come out are kind words.

This is so hard!
It's so easy to snap at people - especially those closest to us.
It's something God's working on in me - but I keep slipping!!
Praise Him for His patience!

Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

As for today's topic questions which I copied and pasted to the new thread:

Are you a kind woman--kind acts, kind spirit, kind words? Are you quick to be helpful, to render service to others, to look for opportunities to minister to the needs of others? Jesus went about doing good. As we are filled with His Spirit, with His love, we will go from this place where it's easy to be kind, back to our homes, our workplaces, our relationships, and we will be kind, doing good as He has done to us.

The answer is most of the time I do ok with this but I could do much better ALL of the time. This was an excellent topic and there was so much good, truthful informatin to read. It really made me feel alot better as a person to read what was written about this subject! Thank you Rosie!

Upvote 0

tiradas

Contributor
Jul 20, 2005
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,519.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Most of the time yes...I am successful with this. However, I could improve with kind words with my children. Why is that so hard at times?

Upvote 0

powerofprayer

I will praise Him in this storm.....
May 12, 2006
Georgia
✟16,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Why is it so much easier to be kind to strangers than say.....to my husband?! I don't hesitate to help others, no matter how much I am inconvenienced & I'm always quick to give encouraging words & hugs. But too often when it comes to my family (especially hubby) I find myself saying "Not now, I'm too busy." or "Can't it wait?" That's really sad. :( Am I the only one who does that?
I guess I know what I really need to pray about! :prayer:

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it so much easier to be kind to strangers than say.....to my husband?! I don't hesitate to help others, no matter how much I am inconvenienced & I'm always quick to give encouraging words & hugs. But too often when it comes to my family (especially hubby) I find myself saying "Not now, I'm too busy." or "Can't it wait?" That's really sad. :( Am I the only one who does that?
I guess I know what I really need to pray about! :prayer:

No, you are not the only one. I don't know why it's easier to be kind to others, even perfect strangers, than it is to our own family!!! I can be that way with my husband and my boys. :( And I don't like it when I'm that way. Guess I need to pray more about that, too.

Upvote 0

burn97

A Bruised Reed Yet My Gentle King Loves Me Anyway
Aug 19, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟35,559.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Max Lucado: In A Shepherd's Arms
A Deeper Look At Psalm 23 part 8

March 30, 2007

' Yea, Though I Walk Through The
Valley Of The Shadow Of Death '
He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them
close to his heart.

Summer in ancient Palestine. A woolly bunch of bobbing heads follow the shepherd out of the gate. The morning sun has scarcely crested the horizon, and he is already leading his flock. Like every other day, he guides them through the gate and out into the fields. But unlike most days, the shepherd will not return home tonight. He will not rest on his bed, and the sheep will not sleep in their fenced in pasture. This is the day the shepherd takes the sheep to the high country. Today he leads his flock to the mountains.
He has no other choice. Springtime grazing has left his pasture bare, so he must seek new fields. With no companion other than his sheep and no desire other than their welfare, he leads them to the deep grass of the hillsides. The shepherd and his flock will be gone for weeks, perhaps months. They will stay well into the autumn, until the grass is gone and the chill is unbearable.
Not all shepherds make this journey. The trek is long. The path is dangerous. Poisonous plants can infect the flock. Wild animals can attack the flock. There are narrow trails and dark valleys. Some shepherds choose the security of the baron pastures below.
But the good shepherd doesn't. He knows the path. He has walked this trail many times. Besides he is prepared. Staff in hand and rod attached to his belt. With his staff he will nudge the flock, with his rod he will protect and lead the flock. He will lead them to the mountains.
David understood this annual pilgrimage. Before he led israel, he lead sheep. And could his time as a shepherd be the inspiration behind one of the greatest verses of the Bible? "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me"(v 4)
For what the shepherd does with the flock, our Shepherd will do with us. He will lead us to the high country. When the pasture is bare down here, God will lead us up there. He will guide us through the gate, out of the flatlands, and up the path of the mountain.
Someday our Shepherd will tak us to the mountain by way of the valley. He will guide us to his house through the valley of the shadow of death.

Growing older. Aging. We laugh about it, and we grown about it. We resist it but we can't stop it. And with the chuckles and wrinkles comes some serious thoughts and questions about what happens when we die. Is death when we go to sleep? Or is death when we finally wake up?
As a minister, I'm often asked to speak at funeral. I no longer have to ask the family what they want me to say; I already know. Oh, I many have to ask a question or two about the deceased and that I do, but I don't ask them what they want me to say. I know.
They want to hear what God says about death. They want to hear how God would answer their questions about the life afterwards. They don't want my opinion; nor do they want the thoughts of a philosopher or the research of a scientist. They want to know what God says. If Jesus were here, at the head of this casket, in the middle of this cemetery, what would he say?
And so under the canopy of sorrow, I give God's words. I share the eulogy Jesus gave himself. The disciples did not know it was his farewell address. No one did, but it was. He knew he had just witnessed his final sunset. he knew death would come with the morning. So he spoke about death. Here is how He began:

Don't let your hearts be troubled.
Trust in God, and trust in me. There are many rooms in my
Father's house; I would not tell you this if it were not true.
I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare
a place for you, I will come back and take you
to be with me so that you may be where I am.
(John 14:1-4)

What kind of statement is that ? Trust me with your death. When you face the tomb, don't be troubled - trust me! You get the impression that to God the grave is a no-brainer. He speaks as casually as the mechanic who says to a worried client, " Sure, the engine needs an overhaul, but don't worry. I can do it." For us it's an ordeal. For him, it's no big deal.
We must trust God. We must trust not only that he does what is best but that he knows what is ahead.

- Can you think of a time, whether in the past or currently, that you are have or are walking through the 'valley of the shadow of death' ?
In what ways have you found encouragement? How have you given to the Lord, these troubles, and what has been the result?

Reactions: cristianna
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
W

woman.at.the.well

Max Lucado: In A Shepherd's Arms
A Deeper Look At Psalm 23 part 8

March 30, 2007

' Yea, Though I Walk Through The
Valley Of The Shadow Of Death '

Don't let your hearts be troubled.

Trust in God, and trust in me. There are many rooms in my

Father's house; I would not tell you this if it were not true.

I am going there to prepare a place for you. After I go and prepare

a place for you, I will come back and take you

to be with me so that you may be where I am.

(John 14:1-4)

What kind of statement is that ? Trust me with your death. When you face the tomb, don't be troubled - trust me! You get the impression that to God the grave is a no-brainer. He speaks as casually as the mechanic who says to a worried client, " Sure, the engine needs an overhaul, but don't worry. I can do it." For us it's an ordeal. For him, it's no big deal.

We must trust God. We must trust not only that he does what is best but that he knows what is ahead.

- Can you think of a time, whether in the past or currently, that you are have or are walking through the 'valley of the shadow of death' ?

In what ways have you found encouragement? How have you given to the Lord, these troubles, and what has been the result?

Oh yes! I have had several times where it felt like I was walking through the valley of the shadow of death or at least it seemed like it. When I remember to put my trust in him and have complete faith in him; the valley doesn't seem so deep and wide. That's the hard part; remember where to look (up).

I usually try to sing a song of praise to Him to encourage my spirit. I also pray in the valley ALOT. Matter of fact I think that is why sometimes there seems to be so many valley's; because it's the only time (most of the time) God gets our full attention. If we'd just give it to Him all the time; we probably wouldn't go through so many valleys!

But that's what I do; WHEN I remember!​

Upvote 0

Smileyill

Veteran
Sep 6, 2006
✟9,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I haven't been responding lately, but I'm a man so this isn't all that easy to discuss.

However, I recently learned that I need to give this area to God - relationships with women. Sometime it keeps me up all night, sometimes multiple nights. Money, health, jobs and most other things don't, I've given them to God - and he delivers. If only I knew how to give this to him.

I'm generally helpful and loving, though I've become a bit callous towards Chicago's panhandlers; I have massive school debt anyway.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!

TOPIC: ANSWERED PRAYER

I would like to begin by saying that I am so sorry that I was MIA last week. Life has been stressful and hectic lately.​

Some of you know that the Lord has led me to start a Jr High Girls Small Group. Last week I received stiff opposition and spent 3 whole nights in devoted prayer. A friend that I confided in told me, "Christina, God is BIGGER then these issues. He can overcome them and I bieleve that He will." Well....Praise God! :bow: He has!!!!!! All the issues that had come up are now completely gone. All the doors are wide open and I truly bieleve that He has blessed the entire small group. Honestly, all the issues that had sprung out of nowhere just seemed impossible to clear up. I was so down, I really thought that it was hopeless. How silly of me. :doh: We all know that NOTHING is impossible with God!!!!! :tutu: :tutu: :tutu:

:clap: Answered prayer is so awesome!!!! :clap:

So my question to you all today is........share a time when God answered your prayers. Let's rejoice in answered prayer today and thank Him for hearing us!!!!!​

God Bless
~Christina​

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Psssstttttt: As you can see I am training to become a Mod :clap: It's exciting but very time consuming b/c there is SO MUCH to learn. That is also why my time here is a little low. I should be done training this week so I will be sure to be back to full swing soon. :hug:

Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

HAPPY MONDAY!!!!!!

TOPIC: ANSWERED PRAYER

I would like to begin by saying that I am so sorry that I was MIA last week. Life has been stressful and hectic lately.​

Some of you know that the Lord has led me to start a Jr High Girls Small Group. Last week I received some stuff opposition and spent 3 whole nights in devoted prayer. A friend that I confided in told me, "Christina, God is BIGGER then these issues. He can overcome them and I bieleve that He will." Well....Praise God! :bow: He has!!!!!! All the issues that had come up are now completely gone. All the doors are wide open and I truly bieleve that He has blessed the entire small group. Honestly, all the issues that had sprung out of nowhere just seemed impossible to clear up. I was so down, I really thought that it was hopeless. How silly of me. :doh: We all know that NOTHING is impossible with God!!!!! :tutu: :tutu: :tutu:

:clap: Answered prayer is so awesome!!!! :clap:

So my question to you all today is........share a time when God answered your prayers. Let's rejoice in answered prayer today and thank Him for hearing us!!!!!​

God Bless
~Christina​

Let me say congratulations on your new job here at CF! That is so exciting and I know you will do very well at it. What forums will you be mod'ing (if you know that yet)?

What a fantastic subject matter to ponder and discuss today. You are soooooo right Christina. God is awesome if we just let Him stay in control; never give up hope and have faith and believe in Him. That is when He can come in and work and move mightilly in our lives; just like He did with you!

Yes, He did show me how awesome and powerful He is through prayer and believing; and when I'm willing to sit back and LET Him work and move.

For two straight years on my job - I believe I was under constant attack by the enemy. Every time I turned around my boss was coming in and saying so many horrible things about me it was unbelievable. Most people couldn't believe I was staying. But I knew who MY God was and that He was bigger than what was going on.

Well this situation culminated in calling my boss into a meeting with her two immediate supervisors and I just bascially sat back and watched the power of God work and move in my life and in that situation. I had people from my church praying for me while in the meeting and I prayed before I got to the meeting. I had a sense of peace and calm I have never known before; especially considering the situation. And even though one person (who I thought would have been on my side) kept trying to take that meeting to a really ugly place; she actually was VERY nasty with me and said some really unnecessary things.

I just stayed strong; never waivered. Really never had to say a word. My two union reps were like a many time rehearsed tag team. What one didn't think of to say; the other did. It was amazing what God did in there. Needless to say, the meeting ended on a good note. My boss actually ended up looking like the miserable person she is.

I was blessed with time alone with each supervisor who was over her and was given an oppurtunity to say to them, "look I don't hate _____________; and I want you to know that. I just feel like we've been on this endless cycle of misunderstanding one another and we just can't get off. That is what I hoped to accomplish in this meeting today; is for her to get a better understanding of what my job really is and understand that not only am I doing my job, but I'm doing it well." Both supervisors were almost awestruck and told me they saw that. It completely changed the dynamic of where I work and how not only my boss talked to me and treated me; but the head honcho boss as well!

God is good if we trust Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello!
christ_in_gethsemane_hofmann_b.jpg

Upvote 0

rosiecotton

Veteran
Mar 6, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟17,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I have had many answered prayers over the years.
But recently, I had been experiencing a lot of frustration over different things in my life, I felt 'stagnant' spiritually, I didn't feel close to God at all, and just felt 'disconnected' from others.
So, I've been praying about that. And finally things are changing.
I don't have that frustration any longer. And I am feeling closer and closer to God again. I'm getting my joy back in my relationship with God. :)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And I am feeling closer and closer to God again. I'm getting my joy back in my relationship with God.

:clap:
That's the best testimony any of us can have - to draw closer to Him!!

God has answered so many of my prayers - even when I don't really expect Him to! Praise God, He is always faithful, even when we are not! I am constantly surprised by how He blesses me - which I know I shouldn't be!!
A couple of nights ago, I was totally unable to sleep, as I was incredibley burdened for a brother in Christ who was in a very bad place. It was something I had never experienced in such an intense way. I spent the night in prayer - and the next morning in moaning about my lack of sleep!!
Then God reminded me that a few days previously I had asked Him to teach me more about intercessory prayer. Which He certainly did - and I am very grateful to Him. Also very tired!!

Reactions: cristianna
Upvote 0
W

woman.at.the.well

April 3, 2007
Speak Up!

READ: 2 Kings 5:1-3, 9-14

If only my master were with the prophet who is in Samaria! For he would heal him of his leprosy. —2 Kings 5:3
ODB_2007_04_sm.jpg

If you’re like most people, you think that when God does something important, He uses important people to get it done—people like John Stott, Billy Graham, or Joni Eareckson Tada. The rest of us just fill space until Jesus comes. But that’s not true.
Most often in Scripture, we see that God uses ordinary folk to get things done. Just take a look at the unlikely prophets of the Old Testament and the disciples of the New Testament.
The girl in 2 Kings 5 was just an ordinary servant. Yet she bravely suggested that Naaman go to the prophet of Israel for healing. What sounds like a simple request was actually a bold suggestion. For Naaman to go to Israel, it would mean turning his back on the local pagan gods, inviting criticism from his countrymen for putting the military might of his nation at risk.
This nameless servant could have paid a steep price for making a suggestion like that, but she knew where the true source of healing was. Because of her deep concern for Naaman’s well-being, she courageously put herself at risk to direct him to that source—the one and only living God.
Like this young servant girl, let’s be willing to be used by God to guide family and friends to the true source of hope and healing. —Joe Stowell
God can take a lowly vessel,
Shape it with His mighty hand,
Fill it with a matchless treasure,
Make it serve a purpose grand. —Bosch

God is looking for ordinary people to do extraordinary work.
How about those of us on this thread? What do you think and believe about this? Are you ready for God to shape your vessel with His mighty hand and fill it with a matchless treasure like that of the "lowly" people in the bible we read about from time to time? Please discuss.

Upvote 0

LivingLifeHisWay

Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, thank you all for posting your answered prayers. :clap: God IS so good!

Today's Topic: I read that devotional this morning Judi and it spoke to my heart. :) This is something I'm going through right now with the small group. Leading a bible study ON MY OWN is new to me and I should be very nervous but I'm allowing God to lead me. I have a great peace and I bieleve He has been preparing me for this all along. Me, a little worm of a human who has a rap sheet a novel long is being used for God's glory!!!! :bow: Thank you Jesus for your saving grace! Grace that I don't deserve but that you have so eagerly bestowed upon me, thank you thank you thank you! :clap:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.