• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Come closer to God

Discussion in 'Daily Devotionals' started by altya, Jul 2, 2002.

1. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    Most important, is to spend more time with the Lord. "Come near to God and he will come near to you"(James 4:8a).

I want to encourage you to draw closer to God. "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work"
    (II Timothy 3:16-17).

We are so blessed to have the Word of God to read and study
    daily. A steady intake of the Word is what we need. We need to get
    into the Word in the morning, at lunch and during the evening. There
    are so many opportunities during our day to read and study God's
    Word, the Bible. Now, if we choose not to due to our busy schedules,
    our relationship with the Lord, our devotional life will suffer. Oh,
    we won't lose our salvation, but we will not be walking in step with
    the Spirit as we could be. The Word of God helps us walk in step with
    the Spirit. Being in the Word of God daily is essential to good
    Spiritual health.

Right now, breathe in. Take a deep breath and breathe out. We breathe in and breathe out and usually never notice it, unless someone points it out. This is how it should be with the Word of God. When we read the Word of God, we are breathing it in to our soul. Then, we are more able to breathe it out. We can easily impact others when the Word of God has impacted us. So many try to make an impact for Christ, yet they haven't allowed the Word of God to impact them!

The whole idea about scripture is not to know them but to walk them. No one is going to get a reward for knowing the bible. Satan also knows the word. We are going to benefit to “walk” the scriptures, if we do, the reward is to grow spiritually, but you can’t walk the word of God unless you study it. Remember: The more time we spend in the Word, the greater impact the Word will have on us, and the greater impact we'll have on others.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    This is a very interesting post, with which I am in total agreement. I had to smile as I read, because I thought of a friend of long ago, who did not agree with this. Instead said there is no reward for knowing the Word.

Thanks for posting this. Means a lot to me personally.

3. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    I still say that there is no reward for people knows the word and don’t live it. I have personal experience of seeing it.

But you also have to know the word to can live it.

4. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    You mean knowing the Word is it's OWN reward? Yes! That is close enough for me. IOn fact I may have said the same thing once.

That pretty much says it all for me!

5. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    I am glad you understand now what I mean.

6. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Ya! Wanna hear a funny! Are you sitting and holding your ribs? Long time ago a friend started a club just for the two of us to minister in. We had the same argument about the Word. I used almost the exact words you used here. Anyway, I guess great minds, like ours, think alike!
    I love it.

7. Skyfire

Skyfire Learning to lean on God

+0
    I definately agree. The last time I was all on fire for God, I skipped reading ONE night, and I backslid as fast as it is possible to backslide. I'm still not fully recovered from that one. :(

8. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    We all agree that reading and study the word of God is important. I am just adding that we need to take the reading and study one step further and its to do what you read.

9. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Yes it is important for ALL, especially teachers to be a DOER of the Word and not just a hearer only. Like the thread in Fellowship Court now, pertaining to The Golden Rule, which is actually a Commandment, from which NO ONE is exempt.

10. favored_one

favored_one Regular Member

+27
    Christian
    Married
    This is a marvelous post. I am in total agreement! We must not allow anything to come before our relationship and communion with God. We must study His word and allow him to speak to us.

When I first attempted to study the word daily, it was difficult and I knew the enemy was trying to stop me. :rolleyes: I found it very difficult to get to a quiet place. Three years later, I have made it a habit to read scripture and study before I go to sleep. Now, if I miss a night, I feel strange. It has become my favorite passtime. ;) I love Jesus and seek to know Him everyday! :bow:

God Bless

11. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    I am also in the habit to read scripture daily, if I read something that hit me between the eyes, I memorized it and meditate on that part for a time then I will find myself living that word.

12. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Psalms 119:11: "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." David too memorized scripture to live it so that he would not sin against God.

13. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    Thanks, I love this one and its so true, Gods word light up our way

Psalms 119:105 _¶NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

14. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Psalm 119:103: " How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

15. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    Psalms 119:9 _ Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Psalms 119:16 _I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

16. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Psalms 119:130 "The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple."

17. altya

altya Servant of God

+260
    Non-Denom
    Psalms 119:160 _Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

18. Gerry

Gerry Jesus Paid It All

+11
    Psalm 119:140 "Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it."{pure: Heb. tried, or, refined}