provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is this mentioning that someone else present was named Jesus? If so, I thought Jesus was a name reserved for the messiah alone. In Gospel of MATT 1:21 it says that Mary is to give Jesus his name because of what he will do.

COL 4:10-11
10 My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you his greetings, as does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. (You have received instructions about him; if he comes to you, welcome him.)
11 Jesus, who is called Justus, also sends greetings. These are the only Jews among my co-workers for the kingdom of God, and they have proved a comfort to me.

PHIL 2:9-11
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

MATT 1:20-21
20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Jesus is supposed to have his name, but COL 4:11 makes it sound as though yet another Jewish man had this sacred name of Jesus, and thus this other man's name was changed to "Justus" instead. This is troublesome. Questions, comments?

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is this mentioning that someone else present was named Jesus? If so, I thought Jesus was a name reserved for the messiah alone. In Gospel of MATT 1:21 it says that Mary is to give Jesus his name because of what he will do.

10 My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you his greetings, as does Mark, the cousin of Barnabas. (You have received instructions about him; if he comes to you, welcome him.)
11 Jesus, who is called Justus, also sends greetings. These are the only Jews among my co-workers for the kingdom of God, and they have proved a comfort to me.

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.
21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Jesus is supposed to have his name, but COL 4:11 makes it sound as though yet another Jewish man had this sacred name of Jesus, and thus this other man's name was changed to "Justus" instead. This is troublesome. Questions, comments?

"Jesus" or more accurately "Yeshua" was a fairly common name in the 1st century. Barabbas was named Jesus:

Matthew 27:16 At that time they had a well-known prisoner whose name was Jesus Barabbas.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
"Jesus" or more accurately "Yeshua" was a fairly common name in the 1st century. Barabbas was named Jesus:

Okay, but if "Jesus" was such a common name at the time, then how could it be a name above all other names? Wouldn't the commonness of such a name make it unsacred?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Justus, (G2459 Ἰοῦστος Ioustos), is a surname used in (Act 1:23, Act 18:7, and Col 4:11). It had nothing to do with Jesus Christ as far as I can tell. What is the problem?

Okay, but if "Jesus" was such a common name at the time, then how could it be a name above all other names? Wouldn't the commonness of such a name make it unsacred?

I don't see how, variations of Eli were part of common names in the OT, it made it more sacred not less. There is no other Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the problem?

The problem is that I had been under the impression that the name of JESUS was holy and set apart from all other names.

Ergo, that Jesus was actually a common name at the time is news to me, and frankly a little disappointing.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem is that I had been under the impression that the name of JESUS was holy and set apart from all other names.

Ergo, that Jesus was actually a common name at the time is news to me, and frankly a little disappointing.
It was actually the version Joshua in the Greek. It's actually a popular name in Porto Rico, that doesn't change the fact that Jesus name in the New Testament is unique.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It was actually the version Joshua in the Greek. It's actually a popular name in Porto Rico, that doesn't change the fact that Jesus name in the New Testament is unique.

Don't they all pronounce it as "Hay-Zeus" though??

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Thou art the CHRIST the Son of the Living GOD".

Yeshua, Messiah, Christ, Son of God, The Word (which became flesh)

Jesus was a common name and Jesus looked like any Jew at the time (the reason He had to be kissed to be singled out in the garden so the soldiers knew who He is.) BUT only He is above all the other names, above any name :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Name above all names seems to refer to the highest authority above angels, principalities, old orders of religion to the exclusion of all because in these last days God has spoken thru the Son. A name that signifies authority because it is associated with God the Son. Hebrews 1:1-4

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don't be disappointed. It just means that you should pray and study what it means that Jesus has a name above all other names.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not really. It is that the name of Jesus (Yeshua/Joshua) refers to the leader who succeeded Moses and led Israel, while also being led by the very Angel of God into the victory against Jericho and on into the Promised Land.

So, it is specifically Jesus of Nazareth who is the one whose name is a type of BOTH Joshua AND the Angel of God, all wrapped up into one real person of God, the true Messiah of the Jewish people and the world.

And that's basically it, in a nutshell.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this mentioning that someone else present was named Jesus? If so, I thought Jesus was a name reserved for the messiah alone.

Jesus (Iēsous in Greek) was a common name, being the Greek version of the Hebrew name Joshua or Jehoshua. In the Greek version of the Old Testament used in Jesus' time, the Israelite leader who followed Moses was called Iēsous.

In Gospel of MATT 1:21 it says that Mary is to give Jesus his name because of what he will do.

The meaning of the Hebrew name is "Yahweh is salvation." Jesus was given that name because he was that salvation.

COL 4:11 makes it sound as though yet another Jewish man had this sacred name of Jesus, and thus this other man's name was changed to "Justus" instead.

It does seem likely that this other man was called Justus to avoid confusion.

Remember also that it's Jesus who makes the name special. And there is only one Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟28,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Good point.

Have you considered Revelation 14:1 and Revelation 3:12? They're worth praying about.

But remember!:

Matthew 6:
9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.​

Amen Yahweh (יהוה)!

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It's not the "name" as though the combination of sounds/letters itself is important, but the One by whom we mean by this name. The name of Jesus is the name above all names, because this Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, He is our Lord, Savior, God, and King.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Name above all names seems to refer to the highest authority
And who God is and how He is separates and identifies Him . . . names Him above all others. Of course, even while Jesus was on the cross, He was Jesus, all who God is. So, when Paul says He was exalted and given a name above all others, I think this specializes in meaning His position of ruling power . . . like I think Cassia means.

It's not the "name" as though the combination of sounds/letters itself is important, but the One by whom we mean by this name. The name of Jesus is the name above all names, because this Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, He is our Lord, Savior, God, and King.
I would say so. But I do not think Paul means a pronounced name, when he says Jesus was given a name above all others. Jesus already had His pronounced name, on the cross, before He was exalted.

And even if this name is given to humans so less than Jesus, I consider that Jesus came and looked as though He was a human. So, giving Him a name along with appearance like other humans have is not a bad thing, I think. It helps to show how Jesus so superior is not at all conceited like He has to make a point all the time of showing off how superior He is. But He related with us at our level, even went through things we go through, so now He can feel for us and help us with the grace which had Him doing so well > Hebrews 4:15.

And how He is with us and shares with us is what really gives meaning to His name. Someone can tell you what a person's name is, but how the person is, for you, is what really names the person.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi friend of,

I believe that when we say a name, we understand that it represents a specific person. If I say to my wife, while in worship service, that Larry told me...., then she understands that I'm not speaking of the Larry that she knows at work or the Larry that lives down the street from us, but the Larry who attends our congregation. Similarly, when it says that the name of Jesus is above every other name, the Scriptures are expecting us to understand that the person whose name is Jesus and whose name is above every other name, it the Jesus who is God's Son.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Buzz_B

Oct 15, 2017
Northwest Ohio
✟13,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

My take on this is that the Hebrew and Greek words for name can also mean "renown" as in "reputation." The meaning of the Hebrew name, "yehoshua", from which the Geek name "Iisoús" comes, means something of the nature, "Yehweh saves" or "Yehweh is [our] salvation." It is a proclamation of God's generosity to and through the one who bears that name.

I doubt many would argue that God's generosity toward his Son was great from the very beginning and that Jesus in his heavenly place of origin already had a name that was above the name of all creatures in heaven even before he humbled himself to take on the form of a slave in the service of mankind. And so Jesus had indeed given up his equality with God and humbled himself below even the angels whom he already had a superior name over, to make himself even of no reputation among men that he might serve the need of bringing God's salvation to men, thus serving God for sure, but for the sake of man.

Now, as to my acknowledging that Jesus was beforehand equal to God in heaven, many of us have a wrong view of what that means and so some resist that in the Scriptures. One need not have all the abilities of another to be their equal. Equality speaks to how one is esteemed rather than the exact details of what one can or cannot do. My son can be my equal and yet have his own unique talents. Conversely my son can be my equal and yet I have unique talents he does not have. It is worldly mundane thinking which rates equality on the basis of what we can do and we see the depression it causes when so many do not measure up in their own minds. Equality is a measurement of terms of respect or endearment.

Having done my rambling, let me now assert a question. If Jesus was already equal with God and therefore obviously already had a name superior to all creatures in heaven which were created through him, why, as Philippians 2:9 says, was Jesus given a name which is above those both in heaven and on earth?

Whose name would have been above all men upon earth if Adam had not sinned? The answer is in the fact that Jesus is called the "last Adam" by Paul at 1 Corinthians 15:45.

The point being made at Philippians 2:9 is merely that whereas Jesus had a name above all heavenly creatures now he had become the head over all of God's creatures, now even over man as the replacement for Adam.

Let me know what you think and do not be shy about it. :)

Reactions: Edison Trent
Upvote 0

Edison Trent

Nov 3, 2017
Virginia
✟18,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus bar abbas was another man's name translated in to Greek to English, By then the first name dropped to avoid confusion and the two words got scooted together to form just barabbas.

older manuscripts, though has his name as Jesus bar Abbas.

Yehoshua (bar means son of) Abbas

Yehoshua was a common name in those days, like Simon etc.

(Bar) is Aramiac for (son of)
(Ben) is Hebrew for (son of)

Upvote 0