Colossians 1:15

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisB

Jan 28, 2004
✟16,919.00
Faith
Protestant
An interesting question. I'll address the passage in two sections.

Colossians 1
15He is the image of the invisible God

This tells me that to look at Jesus is to look at God, to see Him in all his love and compassion. No man has physically seen God (John 5:37) but we see Him in Jesus (John 14:7). This is a wonderful privilege and gift from God.

Colossians 1
15 ...the firstborn over all creation.

This section has been used to deny the divinity of Jesus. However that position relies on too literal a reading. The word "firstborn" carries with it the notion of a birthright which gives Jesus a privileged position in His role as creator of all things, being the Word of God. Also Exodus 4:22 describes Israel as God's first-born son, emphasising it's unique role in God's plan - a role now taken over by Jesus and through whom God shows His faithfullness in the resurrection.

Peace to you :prayer:

Upvote 0

Dee S

Mar 4, 2004
✟116.00
Faith
Christian
If I would to explain this scripture and show the Trinity, I would divide it as follows:

And, behold, I am with thee, - This is God the Father. He's the great I AM!

and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; This is God the Son. He said in Matthew that He will be with you alway, even unto the ends of the earth. He came to restore us to our rightful land, back to our Father, the creator.

for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. - This is God the Holy Spirit. He is our comforter. He's presently with us making us do right when we want to do wrong.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.