Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Colors can have different meanings for different cultures. It is useful to understand the meaning of certain colors in biblical times to be able to interpret Scripture. But these meanings are purely cultural and not objective in any way.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Biblical Meaning Of Colors

Do you think colors have spiritual meaning or significance? Colors are amoral, but do you think it is mystical or superstition to say that?

I do believe so, yes. If God is using a color, or, a number, or, a specific word: then He's doing it for a significant reason. When scripture says John 21:11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken: there's a significant reason to specifically state "153"

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do believe so, yes. If God is using a color, or, a number, or, a specific word: then He's doing it for a significant reason. When scripture says John 21:11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken: there's a significant reason to specifically state "153"

Do you think there are colors (not even shades-but entire colors) that we cant see?

• Agree
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think there are colors (not even shades-but entire colors) that we cant see?

That depends on how we're defining "color". If color is a specific angstrom/wavelength/s of energy then according to the measurements there would be colors we can't see. If color is an experience, then there would be no colors we can't see, since we can't see/experience them.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do... my personal view is that Adam and Chavah (Eve) existed as human but encased in light (like Moses' face but brighter and covering their whole body) and when Adam sinned, the light went out and they were confined to seeing on the realm they now existed, hence realizing only then that they had been naked all along. They either didn't care or couldn't tell before the sin. So I imagine they saw into the heavenlies and could see things we cannot today. Interestingly, some insects see at wavelengths we do not.... not sure that has anything to do with anything though. :)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Biblical Meaning Of Colors

Do you think colors have spiritual meaning or significance? Colors are amoral, but do you think it is mystical or superstition to say that?
And yes... God uses some colors for certain reasons. He was VERY specific as to what colors were to be used when making the Tabernacle. There are reasons even if we don't quite fully grasp them at this time.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And yes... God uses some colors for certain reasons. He was VERY specific as to what colors were to be used when making the Tabernacle. There are reasons even if we don't quite fully grasp them at this time.

Aren't colors amoral?
Are you saying God has a favorite?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That depends on how we're defining "color". If color is a specific angstrom/wavelength/s of energy then according to the measurements there would be colors we can't see. If color is an experience, then there would be no colors we can't see, since we can't see/experience them.

i read something on yahoo answers something about millions of colors we can't see.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i read something on yahoo answers something about millions of colors we can't see.

They're probably defining color as a measurable wavelength, in which case there are myriad wavelengths of light we don't visually experience. They may be referencing animals which may be experiencing colors we can't. I remember reading a paper once on theory concerning the way rainbows appeared to different eyes; but these are all varieties of shades, so not really the "different color" which you alluded in the post. The paper also contained a theory in which a certain small group of women were able to see a certain shade of, yellow I believe it was, that no one else could see.

In the end it's the old philosophical question "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes................interesting how the Tabernacle colors seem so...so...familiar. :cool:

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Do you think black is really a negative color?

http://www.ridingthebeast.com/articles/colors/

Black is primarily associated with the negative aspects of human experience - including death, disease, famine, and sorrow - all of which are the results of sin. The exception is the implication of health when describing hair.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think black is really a negative color?

Color Symbolism in The Bible and Color Meanings
No... I said God designated certain colors and was very particular about that. Black is negative because of a culture we are raised in that viewed black as negative or less than other colors.

Sam.... what does Satan's horn represent to you? I imagine evil, because we put horns on things to depict an evil attribute, right? However, what if the horns were originally a positive thing? Well, they were. The Hebrew word for light ray (as you would imagine one coming down from the sun) is qeren (H7162). The light ray is in the shape of a horn, like a unicorn... and so the Hebrew word for horn is qeren. Satan was the angel of light... the horns were meant to depict that fact. Here is some neat proof.... ever seen Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses? I linked it here.... please look at it...notice the horns. :) Michelangelo wanted to depict Moses with his face shining like when he came off the mountain but with one color marble, that isn't possible. So he added horns... it was something of a pun.... but it gave him the ability to get that point across.

My point is simply that what we might see in a negative or positive light in our modern, Western, Greek influenced culture, may or more likely may not be in harmony with the culture messiah was raised in.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No... I said God designated certain colors and was very particular about that. Black is negative because of a culture we are raised in that viewed black as negative or less than other colors.

Sam.... what does Satan's horn represent to you? I imagine evil, because we put horns on things to depict an evil attribute, right? However, what if the horns were originally a positive thing? Well, they were. The Hebrew word for light ray (as you would imagine one coming down from the sun) is qeren (H7162). The light ray is in the shape of a horn, like a unicorn... and so the Hebrew word for horn is qeren. Satan was the angel of light... the horns were meant to depict that fact. Here is some neat proof.... ever seen Michelangelo's sculpture of Moses? I linked it here.... please look at it...notice the horns. :) Michelangelo wanted to depict Moses with his face shining like when he came off the mountain but with one color marble, that isn't possible. So he added horns... it was something of a pun.... but it gave him the ability to get that point across.

My point is simply that what we might see in a negative or positive light in our modern, Western, Greek influenced culture, may or more likely may not be in harmony with the culture messiah was raised in.

I mean bibically.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I mean bibically.
I don't think so, at least, I can't think of a time when black is seen in the negative. Do you have an example? I do believe (personally) that Moses' wife was black... she was a cushite, and "cush" is the Hebrew word for black. Aaron and Miriam took issue against Moses for this and God punished her and was obviously not happy with both.

Side note... the pic of Moses and that stuff about the horns will be useful one day. Save a copy of the picture. Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think so, at least, I can't think of a time when black is seen in the negative. Do you have an example? I do believe (personally) that Moses' wife was black... she was a cushite, and "cush" is the Hebrew word for black. Aaron and Miriam took issue against Moses for this and God punished her and was obviously not happy with both.

Side note... the pic of Moses and that stuff about the horns will be useful one day. Save a copy of the picture. Blessings.

Our robes are white in Revelation, not black. People involved in the occult wear black a lot.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our robes are white in Revelation, not black. People involved in the occult wear black a lot.
Yes, but that doesn't place that color in the bible in the negative. Just because those who stand against God corrupt something for their evil purpose doesn't mean it really had that purpose. Look at the rainbow... a sign that God will never flood the earth again or a symbol of homosexuality? The constellations once told the story from Creation to redemption and now they are used for fortune telling. Birthstone taken from the breast plate of the high priest.... man corrupts many things Sam. Not sure if anything in Scripture paints "black" in a negative light. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but that doesn't place that color in the bible in the negative. Just because those who stand against God corrupt something for their evil purpose doesn't mean it really had that purpose. Look at the rainbow... a sign that God will never flood the earth again or a symbol of homosexuality? The constellations once told the story from Creation to redemption and now they are used for fortune telling. Birthstone taken from the breast plate of the high priest.... man corrupts many things Sam. Not sure if anything in Scripture paints "black" in a negative light. Blessings.

Is the pentagram a corrupted Christian symbol?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is the pentagram a corrupted Christian symbol?
I doubt it... but I haven't looked into it and don't know enough about that symbol to speak intelligently on it. But what's the point though Sam? This thread is about color. If you want to talk about semiotics (study of symbols) we can start another thread. I teach a course here locally on it... I wouldn't mind that discussion.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I doubt it... but I haven't looked into it and don't know enough about that symbol to speak intelligently on it. But what's the point though Sam? This thread is about color. If you want to talk about semiotics (study of symbols) we can start another thread. I teach a course here locally on it... I wouldn't mind that discussion.

Do you think there could be more colors that werent created or we cant see?

Upvote 0