• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Colorectal Cancer

PatrickMiller

Dec 4, 2017
Springfield
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi...my wife has been battling with colorectal cancer since June 2017. She has been through chemo (5Fu) and radiation. She was scheduled for surgery for a resection of the colon (colostomy) due to the tumor growing into the spincter muscle. As we got closer to surgery date (11-30-17) it was determined that she would also need reconstructive surgery due to the tumor invading into the vaginal wall behind the colon..on the day of her surgery they opened her up, and then abruptly stopped the surgery. The doctor called me to a room, and informed me he found cancer seeds in her abdominal cavity. I believe this is refered to as peritoneal carcinomatosis? So he said that it would not benefit her to have the surgery as it wouldn't save her life or give her more time, and only put her at risk for additional complications. He suggested that we simply do more chemo and radiation. He stated the cancer was going to kill her..So my question is this: has anybody been through this and if so, are there any other treatment options out there..any suggestions..i am desperate to save my wife..i have a second opinion appointment but its weeks away..

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi...my wife has been battling with colorectal cancer since June 2017. She has been through chemo (5Fu) and radiation. She was scheduled for surgery for a resection of the colon (colostomy) due to the tumor growing into the spincter muscle. As we got closer to surgery date (11-30-17) it was determined that she would also need reconstructive surgery due to the tumor invading into the vaginal wall behind the colon..on the day of her surgery they opened her up, and then abruptly stopped the surgery. The doctor called me to a room, and informed me he found cancer seeds in her abdominal cavity. I believe this is refered to as peritoneal carcinomatosis? So he said that it would not benefit her to have the surgery as it wouldn't save her life or give her more time, and only put her at risk for additional complications. He suggested that we simply do more chemo and radiation. He stated the cancer was going to kill her..So my question is this: has anybody been through this and if so, are there any other treatment options out there..any suggestions..i am desperate to save my wife..i have a second opinion appointment but its weeks away..

:heart: God bless you Patrick and your precious wife. Lifting up your wife to God at this most dire dire time, and lifting you up too. You might also want to post a prayer request in our Prayer Forum so our precious prayer warriors can begin praying for you precious wife, and you too Patrick. Welcome to CF (((hug)))

Link to Prayer Forum ----> Prayer Wall

Upvote 0

Ancient of Days

Supporter
Nov 29, 2017
Mn.
✟138,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

PatrickMiller

Dec 4, 2017
Springfield
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Stelz

Dec 4, 2017
Savannah, GA
✟7,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Keeping your wife in prayer Patrick. Also, you can check out Pastor Robert Kayanja. His church has been daily overnight prayers called 77 Days of Glory in Kampala, Uganda but they also broadcast it live on Facebook and Youtube. Many people have been healed through the 77Days. There's praise/worship, preaching and praying for the sick. All you have to do is join in prayer and believe for your wife's healing. The power that raised Jesus from the dead will heal your wife. And that's the power of The Holy Spirit. If you do need any more info just let me know. Otherwise, I'm joining you in prayer.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
nope, my dad passed away of the stuff in 15. I will say that we THINK and of course we are not doctors but we think he may have been better off to either not have had the first operation or had it with a cancer person instead of regular so maybe not having the operation is a good thing. He only had chemo not the other stuff. I have heard that certain foods help, but I am not sure if that is more prevention or after the fact. They told us that dad's cancer was terminal in Sept and he died in March. I will pray, but mostly just wait for the second appointment. Also, sometimes you have to choose quality of life over saving them. I KNOW that is hard to read, but sometimes that may be the best thing. One thing that helped me cope ( particularly after the fact but that was mostly because I learned of it after the fact and that is to raise awareness for colon cancer. Our color is dark blue and our month is March ( though of course you can raise awareness any time) . This helped me cope as it was better than remaining ticked off that breast cancer gets so much awareness particularly in their awarness month of October I actually each year sense ( so far only two have hosted a "blue out" at an organization of which I am a part just like they have pink out in October. I hope my ideas help no matter what and I will pray.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PatrickMiller

Dec 4, 2017
Springfield
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah..this my big fear..the implication at this junture is that she has a very short time left...I dont think i can cope...she is my best friend and frankly i dont want to go on without her..

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah..this my big fear..the implication at this junture is that she has a very short time left...I dont think i can cope...she is my best friend and frankly i dont want to go on without her..

:heart: Praying (((hug)))

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
as to that issue if she should pass ( and of course we pray she does not, but if she does do NOT be afraid or too proud to seek help ( professional if you need it). My mother and I actually attended a begreivmdnt group for nine weeks in Sept to Nov of the year he passed ( a set program led by a lady that had worked in the field for years and did 2-3 of those groups a year. Do you know that to this day two YEARS after the formal meetings are over this group of women ( as it happens it was not met to be solely a women's group just happened that way our time) we STILL get together once a month for dinner and actually this month we are doing a gift exchange,

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So sorry to hear this. Your wife you and family will be in my prayers. Please feel free to PM me anytime for support prayer or advice.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3A colon cancer over 5 years ago. Did the surgery and FOLFOX (includes the 5FU) chemo for 6 months.

That was August 2012 thru April 2013. Recurrence in lobe near abdomen in 2015. 2016 metastasize to peritoneal cavity like with your wife. Had the HIPEC rare surgery did not do much and cancer remained in the peritoneal cavity and spread to the liver and spleen this summer 2017.

I finally went to a cancer center MD Anderson for a second opinion. I probably should have in 2012. That's my advice. If you are not at a premier cancer center get the referral and get there. I know her present condition may not allow her to travel. If so you can request a place like MD Anderson review her case and offer an opinion.

I understand everyone's situation is not the same. I also understand doctors will give you their scientific opinion on how long they think your wife will live. I encourage you to look to Christ who is master Physician and knows the hour of our calling. I assume your wife is a believer. She will and you will know what I mean when I say we need to lean on Christ in all things. The docs gave me 2 years a year ago. I don't live by that. Sure I respect their opinion on how long they think they can keep me going as they as we are finite humans with limitations.

So the docs have limitations as they are humans. Smart humans with known survival rates. However, our King has no limitations. We are to live boldly for Him each day, day by day. Take comfort in this. Take with the Lord day by day. When we get into God's framework we see amazing things happen. We no longer look at how much time we have left but what we do with the time He gives us.

My heart goes out to you and your wife. I check this site often. Contact me at will.

Also, if you attend a church, don't hesitate to call upon them. The pastoral team is there for a reason. If you don't have a church you attend, recommend finding a loving church. There's never a good or bad time to become a church partner.
I was unchurched when my son went through his leukemia at age 10-14. When I joined a church a few years later I was amazed at what we were missing out on. There were a lot of answered prayers waiting there.

Finally, as you already know you are your wife's best patient advocate. Learn the blood reports, cancer marker reports (CEA) and read and view all the CT scans. I can help with learning these things and what to look at so you can drill the doctors and nurses. One area you want to take a keen look at is the radiation treatments. My docs said no because radiation can seriously damage the large and small intestines. I would ask about that. They may come back with that it is necessary. If so ask why.

Sorry for the length. Praying.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

PatrickMiller

Dec 4, 2017
Springfield
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So sorry to hear this. Your wife you and family will be in my prayers. Please feel free to PM me anytime for support prayer or advice.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3A colon cancer over 5 years ago. Did the surgery and FOLFOX (includes the 5FU) chemo for 6 months.

That was August 2012 thru April 2013. Recurrence in lobe near abdomen in 2015. 2016 metastasize to peritoneal cavity like with your wife. Had the HIPEC rare surgery did not do much and cancer remained in the peritoneal cavity and spread to the liver and spleen this summer 2017.

I finally went to a cancer center MD Anderson for a second opinion. I probably should have in 2012. That's my advice. If you are not at a premier cancer center get the referral and get there. I know her present condition may not allow her to travel. If so you can request a place like MD Anderson review her case and offer an opinion.

I understand everyone's situation is not the same. I also understand doctors will give you their scientific opinion on how long they think your wife will live. I encourage you to look to Christ who is master Physician and knows the hour of our calling. I assume your wife is a believer. She will and you will know what I mean when I say we need to lean on Christ in all things. The docs gave me 2 years a year ago. I don't live by that. Sure I respect their opinion on how long they think they can keep me going as they as we are finite humans with limitations.

So the docs have limitations as they are humans. Smart humans with known survival rates. However, our King has no limitations. We are to live boldly for Him each day, day by day. Take comfort in this. Take with the Lord day by day. When we get into God's framework we see amazing things happen. We no longer look at how much time we have left but what we do with the time He gives us.

My heart goes out to you and your wife. I check this site often. Contact me at will.

Also, if you attend a church, don't hesitate to call upon them. The pastoral team is there for a reason. If you don't have a church you attend, recommend finding a loving church. There's never a good or bad time to become a church partner.
I was unchurched when my son went through his leukemia at age 10-14. When I joined a church a few years later I was amazed at what we were missing out on. There were a lot of answered prayers waiting there.

Finally, as you already know you are your wife's best patient advocate. Learn the blood reports, cancer marker reports (CEA) and read and view all the CT scans. I can help with learning these things and what to look at so you can drill the doctors and nurses. One area you want to take a keen look at is the radiation treatments. My docs said no because radiation can seriously damage the large and small intestines. I would ask about that. They may come back with that it is necessary. If so ask why.

Sorry for the length. Praying.
Thank you for that..i had been looking at the Hipec treatment as an option bit was unsure..i need to find a center and figure out a way to finance it..our appointment is with a Younger doctor that went to Harvard and has extensive expertise in colorectal cancer and now practices at Vanderbilt in Nashville. Im searching for a treatment center now..im trying all options at this point..i also started making her canna-oil caps too, for both the pain and the medical aspects of it

• Friendly
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that..i had been looking at the Hipec treatment as an option bit was unsure..i need to find a center and figure out a way to finance it..our appointment is with a Younger doctor that went to Harvard and has extensive expertise in colorectal cancer and now practices at Vanderbilt in Nashville. Im searching for a treatment center now..im trying all options at this point..i also started making her canna-oil caps too, for both the pain and the medical aspects of it
Is she at home or in the hospital?

If home would recommend running by the oncologist any herbals or vitamins. The nausea meds she may be taking are steroids and that has a tendency to make her blood sugars higher.

You are getting great nutrition advice here, but no one here is an MD. I am assuming your wife's cancer is stage 4?

Your insurance should cover second opinions and life saving surgeries and treatments. For example, even though I go to MD Anderson in Houston where I see an oncologist and get tests, I still go to my local hospital for treatments and routine care. They just follow the MD Anderson protocols.

MD Anderson Cancer Center

If you decide on MD Anderson, and get the referral they are really helpful on transportation and lodging while you are there.

Financial options? There is a Christian sharing ministry called MEDISHARE.

Medi-Share | Christian Care Ministry

I think all you need to enroll is a letter from a pastor confirming you are a Christian. Best to call them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PatrickMiller

Dec 4, 2017
Springfield
✟8,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is she at home or in the hospital?

If home would recommend running by the oncologist any herbals or vitamins. The nausea meds she may be taking are steroids and that has a tendency to make her blood sugars higher.

You are getting great nutrition advice here, but no one here is an MD. I am assuming your wife's cancer is stage 4?

Your insurance should cover second opinions and life saving surgeries and treatments. For example, even though I go to MD Anderson in Houston where I see an oncologist and get tests, I still go to my local hospital for treatments and routine care. They just follow the MD Anderson protocols.

MD Anderson Cancer Center

If you decide on MD Anderson, and get the referral they are really helpful on transportation and lodging while you are there.

Financial options? There is a Christian sharing ministry called MEDISHARE.

Medi-Share | Christian Care Ministry

I think all you need to enroll is a letter from a pastor confirming you are a Christian. Best to call them.
Yes i believe her cancer at this juncture has been upgraded to Stage IV. She was just released from the hospital yesterday so she is home now. We will get her eating better and hope that it helps her body maintain its strength, and i will be looking into the MD Anderson as well as well as Medishare. Thank you so much for that information!

• Friendly
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In this time where there are many physical and medical details to be thinking about it may be the most difficult time to place Jesus Christ above it all. Buried in the throws of this crisis and trial we can come together as a community and lift both of you up in prayer to the Lord who is above it all. We praise Him and give Him the glory, I pray before the Lord now for direction and ultimately healing in this serious health matter. We have seen people healed before, we are not there for laying on of hands but we ask for this miracle anyway. In the name of Jesus I pray. Amen

Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
761377cdf583e64ff87855eb72dd7e4a--prayers-for-healing-healing-prayer.jpg

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My wife was treated by Ingrid Mayer or Vanderbilt and she is alive despite a very aggressive breast cancer. Dr. Mayer is head of chemical oncology at Vanderbilt. MD Anderson is also a top place, but I was satisfied with Vanderbilt. My wife was told 20% chance of 5 year survival and now 10 years later she is cancer free.

Upvote 0