ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,
I am new here, but I just started college and I need some help with somethings.:confused: First of all, I am declared as a poilitical science major, but I realized that I really like math and was thinking of switching to math or accounting. However, I don't know how I would succeed in either of these.
Now, almost more importantly, I currently go to a college which is very diverse...and when I say diverse, it's really a euphemism for there are a LOT of homosexuals here. And although that encourages the accepting side of me, I really don't know if I belong here. It's not only that, but this is a "methodist" college, but not everyone here is. And it seems like all I ever hear people talk about is partying, who got arrested, and who is "hooking up with who". I don't like all of this - I don't party, I don't break the law, and I don't "hook up" with anyone. I have only been here for a little while, and I woulnd't transfer before giving it a fair chance, but the more and more I think about it, I feel like God would rather me be in a school that is solely Christian, especially since I recently gave my heart to him,and may need guidance.
Thanks for reading this, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,
~Mary~

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First of all, changing majors is fine. You need to find yourself.

Second of all, wow, I knew the Methodists were a liberal denomination, but this sounds like a secular univeristy! Are there any Christian student organizations? I would try to find one that is conservative enough to make you comfortable.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ejgsmalls said:
Hello everyone,
I am new here, but I just started college and I need some help with somethings.

Being a college graduate, I feel I can offer you some expert advice.

First of all, I am declared as a poilitical science major, but I realized that I really like math and was thinking of switching to math or accounting. However, I don't know how I would succeed in either of these.

One of the most important things to know about declaring a major: declare not what will make more money, but what you want to do/what you are interested in doing. It will be what you will do for a good 40 years of your life, so you better major in something you want to do.

And since you like to do it, it'll make subjects in that major easier because you have a liking already to them. History majors tend to do better in history classes than non-history majors, etc.

Now, almost more importantly, I currently go to a college which is very diverse...and when I say diverse, it's really a euphemism for there are a LOT of homosexuals here.

So?

And although that encourages the accepting side of me, I really don't know if I belong here. It's not only that, but this is a "methodist" college, but not everyone here is.

Again, so?

And it seems like all I ever hear people talk about is partying, who got arrested, and who is "hooking up with who". I don't like all of this - I don't party, I don't break the law, and I don't "hook up" with anyone.

So what?

1. You do not have to change your beliefs on homosexuality to get along with non-heterosexuals. All they want is for you to treat them as persons.
2. Diversity is a part of life. This is a diverse world. If you cannot handle it, then I suggest becoming a hermit.
3. Let idiots be idiots. If you are going to be so sensative about what others do that is stupid, then it is going to drag you down.

I have only been here for a little while, and I woulnd't transfer before giving it a fair chance, but the more and more I think about it, I feel like God would rather me be in a school that is solely Christian,

Methodists are Christians.

You are being far, far too sensative. While a bit of nervousness and anxiety is expected of new students, you are letting your own emotions overrule your better judgments. Before you know it, it is going to lead you into a superiority complex, and that is going to just make things worse.

Drop the sensativity and you'll be fine. If you cannot, then transferring to a different college isn't going to help. What will is simply dropping out of college altogether, although I'm quite certain you realize this isn't an option.

So here you go:

1. Your campus should have a health center with a psychologist or psychiatrist (and probably both in numbers) staffed. They might cost a bit, but it will be a lot cheaper than private sessions. Use them.
2. Start meeting people, regardless of who they are. Join a club, get involved with your dorm (like hall council or simply by going to hall events), or visit the Interfaith Center.
3. Take a anthropology course, since you seem to have a bit of a fear of those different from you. It will teach you to accept and even to appreciate cultures and people who are different from you.

Upvote 0
OK...I'll give some advice from a Dad's perspective. My daughter is 5,000 miles away attending the University of Arizona. She says that they have the same issues there...partying etc.

However, not everyone there is a partier. Instead of finding an "interfaith" group. I would look for Intervarsity or Navigators. These are pretty hard-core christian groups that will have others who aren't into partying and etc.

As far as the homo-sexuals go. I would just ignore them as much as is possible. While they may seem to be a large part of the school...and they may be. They are only 2% of society. In general, we really don't have to deal with homo-sexuals every day in most walks of life. They generally hang out with their own kind. When they are in the work place, they mostly just fit in and that's fine.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
JVD, do you know what an "Interfaith Center" is? Based on your post, I'm going to make a safe bet you do not.

Interfaith Centers are those buildings on a college campus that house the college-recognized religious ministries and groups operating in the college campus. They are home to such groups like Newman (Vatican Catholic), InterVarsity Christian Fellowship (Evangelical Protestant), Canterbury (Episcopal), Hillel (Jewish), and other groups for other Christian groups or non-Christian groups.

And secondly, your advice on non-heterosexuals is just plain wrong. Ignoring them is a childish and immature way to deal with the problem. That's called having "irrational fear."

Upvote 0

ejgsmalls

Sep 14, 2005
✟545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PaladinValer - I am not saying that this college is wrong because of everything around me, I just feel like something is wrong with me being here, those things just happen to bother me a little bit, ya know...it seems like everyone was partying and doing stuff that I don't. I just felt like i didn't fit in. I would never suggest that I was better then any of them. Thanks for all your input, it helps a lot really, thank you.

I went to a christian fellowship meeting tonight, and I haven't been this happy since I got here, and it's all thanks to Jesus.....I'm telling everyone that tonight, so I'd thouhgt I'd tell you folks.

God Bless,
~Mary~

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a great opportunity for you to grow in your faith. Keep attending the Christian fellowship group. See if there are Bible studies you can participate in. Lovingly accept the homosexual community as people who sin, just like you are a sinner. Do you feel differently about the heterosexuals who sleep together? They are just as guilty of sin.

As for you major, have you considered studying economics? If you are interested in political science, and math, that would be a good combination of both.

God bless you in your education.
Trish

Upvote 0