Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟18,723.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Yeah. I don't tolerate that. It would be time to start boxing.

Haha...ya right! Seriously though...even an 18 year old should be treated with respect.
What I mean is when ones instructor is about the same age and talks down to one, how is it best to deal with it?
I'm not a child, I am paying my own tuition and have children of my own that will be in college as well in a few more years...

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You ask a good question. Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to ignore it. If you can't, perhaps a one on one discussion with the professor, or with the professors' supervisor would be options.

It's unfortunate that you are faced with this.

I take all my classes online, so I don't have that issue thankfully so far.

Upvote 0

Ace99

Alive in Christ
Sep 1, 2012
England
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah I'm at college and I'm 36, but I guess I'm lucky the teachers are really great and talk to us all as adults, even the younger ones that are 17 and 18, you must talk to your tutor and tell them you deserve to be treated as an adult, if that doesn't work, go higher and see someone else, you deserve a good education the same as anyone.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I signed on today to discuss the very same issue. I am 47 and in nursing school. This is a second degree. I have no problems with the work or the information. Most of it I have been exposed to in real life...and sometimes understand better than they do. HOWEVER, the nursing instructors can be very condescending.

I have heard statements like "you are one of THOSE kind of student?"...the kind that asks questions when I don't understand something even if I know it won't be on a test?...Yeah, I am that kind of student...OR "wait until you get to your OB/gyn rotation...they can answer that question"...but the question is real, pertinent to what we are studying in THIS class, and my question is TODAY!...if you don't know, be respectful and say, "I don't know, that is not in my area of expertise." I can accept that...but a REAL teacher would say, "I'll look it up and get back to you." And if you realize I'm nervous about doing a skill, it would be a lot kinder to offer up an encouraging word instead of telling me "I won't make it if I'm that nervous"....oh, and it would be nice if you would point out that my patient/lab partner is skipping heart beats on a regular basis and that the problem isn't really that I'm losing her pulse point....we are suppose to get to feel and recognize "normal" before we should have to recognize "abnormal"...<sigh>

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟61,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think college later in life is better because you're mature and focused.

Don't take the condescending remarks personal, just let it go. It's best not to get on the Instructor's bad side. Keep in mind that it's only temporary and you won't have to deal with their ego forever. And remember to pray about it! :prayer:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got my graduate degrees later in life, and fortunately I didn't have any condescending instructors. (I also teach adults and know that a decent instructor won't have "attitude".) Personally, I would ignore it and just focus on learning what I could from the course. Presumably you'll perform better than the "kids" in the class, and that should at least give the instructor pause. You'll probably also have an evaluation to fill out at the end of the course, and you can make your feelings known then. And as Crixus said, it's only temporary. Maintain your focus, work hard, and it will be over before you know it.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟61,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I got my graduate degrees later in life, and fortunately I didn't have any condescending instructors. (I also teach adults and know that a decent instructor won't have "attitude".) Personally, I would ignore it and just focus on learning what I could from the course. Presumably you'll perform better than the "kids" in the class, and that should at least give the instructor pause. You'll probably also have an evaluation to fill out at the end of the course, and you can make your feelings known then. And as Crixus said, it's only temporary. Maintain your focus, work hard, and it will be over before you know it.

Listen to this man, for he is wise and speaks from personal experience. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0