College grads agree w/ Liberals, while High School dropouts agree w/ Conservatives.

loudatheist101

Logic is the train, evidence is the track.
Feb 10, 2007
Saturn
✟24,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting..I'm told I'm too liberal by my boyfriend, I guess that makes me smarter than him, lol. Interesting study. Since I'm an independent with liberal tendencies, where does that place me? On the average-above average area?
Above or average in education? Well it can't really tell, it's just showing the data of the study that most educated people turn out to be liberal, and most high school drop-outs turnout to be conservative.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Above or average in education? Well it can't really tell, it's just showing the data of the study that most educated people turn out to be liberal, and most high school drop-outs turnout to be conservative.

And what about the majority of the population whose education level is somewhere between those two?

What I'd really like to see is a study that adds in income level to that data. At a given education level who makes more, liberals or conservatives. Since so many liberals go into academia with the life goal of turning creating more liberals, I'd suspect that their income level is somewhat lower.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Hmm..I just find it interesting is all. Interestingly enough I was more conservative in high school as the study shows and as I've gotten into college I've become increasingly liberal. That next to nothing to do with my professors though as I only had one really liberal one, everyone else is pretty unconcerned about partisanship so far.

Upvote 0

loudatheist101

Feb 10, 2007
Saturn
✟24,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And what about the majority of the population whose education level is somewhere between those two?

What I'd really like to see is a study that adds in income level to that data. At a given education level who makes more, liberals or conservatives. Since so many liberals go into academia with the life goal of turning creating more liberals, I'd suspect that their income level is somewhat lower.
Who cares? That's money. This is education. More important.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
or apply rational thought and disregard emotionalism as a first response to all issues. it also helps if one learns from history and doesn't think hugs from the international community makes past failed policies any better.
Abortion.
Gay Marriage.
School prayer.
Illegal immigration.
War on terror.

Of course those are not emotional first issues were rational thought takes a backseat.

Upvote 0

loudatheist101

Feb 10, 2007
Saturn
✟24,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Overall, I would agree that many more are liberal, but not all.
And the reason would be because college grads are more educated and get a better understanding of the world than someone who does not go through college.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity. Different forms of liberalism may propose very different policies, but they are generally united by their support for a number of principles, including extensive freedom of thought and speech, limitations on the power of governments, the rule of law, the free exchange of ideas, a market or mixed economy, and a transparent system of government. (Wiki).

I would like to think this is the natural evolution of man.
I would like to think this is what Universities who shape the minds of our future are all about.

Reactions: Loukuss
Upvote 0

I Just Believe In Me

Oct 4, 2007
✟15,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You need to confront the idea that Universities in America are liberal and that is the reason why college grads are liberals.

Even if the universities and the professors are liberal that does not automatically mean the students would become liberal. These are people we are talking about, not blank tapes. For them to become liberals there must be something about it that they agree with.

Upvote 0

poohgirl

It's Great to be a Championship FLORIDA GATOR!
Oct 16, 2007
South
✟8,660.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the reason would be because college grads are more educated and get a better understanding of the world than someone who does not go through college.
I would not say that at all, but rather it could be based upon a number of things. Such as the curriculum used or the professors one has could lean far more toward liberalism. Could be they like the idea of live without limits in which liberals sway toward often.

Lastly, I don't place much weight in studies, because they often change from year to year and don't use a wide enough range of population. So, I neither agree nor disagree with the numbers of which side is more educated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you don't suppose it has anything to do with liberal indoctrination in college courses?

Upvote 0

RacismIsBad

Mar 17, 2007
✟3,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I became more liberal in college, I studied engineering for bachelor's and master's. I didn't have this liberal/conservative indoctrination with my professors. I could only say my economics professor may have been conservative, but then he wasn't indoctrinating anyone, just as my other professors said nothing of politics, so I really can't say.

However, I still became more liberal. The environment of American universities is a place where you must learn to live with a lot of people that differ from you ethnically, religiously, racially, socially, etc. That's what dorms do, and thus people become more liberal. You can't compare American universities with Korean universities, the populations in Korean universities are nearly uniform, it's just a bad argument. I believe it is the diversity of the institution that definitely does a lot to foster the more liberal attitudes you see in colleges.

When I look at conservatives, I often see a group of people who think they know how to define others. They think they know. They'll say, "Gay people are this way...," and if they never have to see gay people, they'll probably continue to think that. A person in high school may think this way and then go to college where he/she will see more gay people and either become obstinate with his/her views, or have to adjust to the reality that gays are not the way he/she defined them, thus probably becoming more liberal. But that's just the way I've seen it.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
*shrugs* I went to a very conservative, religious college and I've still turned out liberal.

I also remember seeing another study, as a result of the Romney speech last week, that showed that most people as they become more educated become less religious -- the one major exception was Mormonism, where the more educated people were the more active they become in Mormonism (and Mormons tend to be extremely conservative). Not sure that it really means anything but an interesting study.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Abortion.
Gay Marriage.
School prayer.
Illegal immigration.
War on terror.

Of course those are not emotional first issues were rational thought takes a backseat.

Any issue can be turned into what you are saying.

On many levels the liberal reaction to these is exactly the same. These are only gut reactions for conservatives?

And so a guy who studied architecture has a better understanding of the world than a Soldier who lived in Germany, Italy, Kuwait, Japan and Korea as is very common for soldiers who have been in for 20+ years?

You will seldom find people more well traveled than military personnel and you will seldom find people more conservative than most military personnel.

How does your comparison stand here?
'

Even if the universities and the professors are liberal that does not automatically mean the students would become liberal. These are people we are talking about, not blank tapes. For them to become liberals there must be something about it that they agree with.

I think it means that many would be more liberal.

Take 100 people who have never been educated that much on macroeconomics. Put them in a classroom with an economic conservative for an hour a day for 4 years and see what their opinion becomes.

There will be some who think freely and disagree and be economic liberals, just as if the teacher was liberal some conservative students would come out.

Of course people have some preconceived notions before they go to college but if you make a pulpit for a teacher with a degree that can direct curriculum it is going to change some minds.

Furthermore, how many people do you know are passionate about politics enough to be fully aware and educated on all of the issues prior to college?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
yes it says the disease called liberalism has thoroughly infected academia. i have a college degree but was able to resist emotional, unfactual doctrine based on getting the most hugs.

Interesting. It seems to me that a university is alomst inevtiably 'liberal' as universities are often where progress happens, so they are progressive.

Upvote 0

I Just Believe In Me

Oct 4, 2007
✟15,788.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think it means that many would be more liberal.

Take 100 people who have never been educated that much on macroeconomics. Put them in a classroom with an economic conservative for an hour a day for 4 years and see what their opinion becomes.

There will be some who think freely and disagree and be economic liberals, just as if the teacher was liberal some conservative students would come out.

Of course people have some preconceived notions before they go to college but if you make a pulpit for a teacher with a degree that can direct curriculum it is going to change some minds.

Furthermore, how many people do you know are passionate about politics enough to be fully aware and educated on all of the issues prior to college?

Granted that a well educated and articulate professor would be able to change some minds. But that would not explain why the majority of people would think one way or the other.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Any issue can be turned into what you are saying.

On many levels the liberal reaction to these is exactly the same. These are only gut reactions for conservatives?
Well, like the wedge strategy or the strategy to merge the emotions of religion for the expediatcy of emotional charged political gain, the conservatives are leaps and bounds better at it.

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems like a lot of political beliefs are fairly diverse and nuanced. I can see that.
No way! That' s unimaginable.

By the way, I wouldn't say my university is Liberal (though I am). Even just based on the fact that there is a Republican student organization and no Democrat student organization.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Granted that a well educated and articulate professor would be able to change some minds. But that would not explain why the majority of people would think one way or the other.

College students are still pretty young and malleable. I suspect there's a fairly good amount of influence by professors in colleges.

Upvote 0