New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not sure about you guys but all of the college age Christians i know are very hipster. I dont think that there is anything wrong with that but that is not me at all. Im more of a theology/philosophy loving, deep thinking kind of guy. Its hard for me to find people my age who are more interested in theology then praise singing(not that i dont love worship). Its just hard to connect with people my age because of that. Im a fairly new believer(just over a year now) but i’m really struggling to find fellowship. Maybe i’m just awkward or God made me to be a lone wolf kinda guy i’m not sure but i figured id bring it up and see if anyone else notices this.

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Not sure about you guys but all of the college age Christians i know are very hipster. I dont think that there is anything wrong with that but that is not me at all. Im more of a theology/philosophy loving, deep thinking kind of guy. Its hard for me to find people my age who are more interested in theology then praise singing(not that i dont love worship). Its just hard to connect with people my age because of that. Im a fairly new believer(just over a year now) but i’m really struggling to find fellowship. Maybe i’m just awkward or God made me to be a lone wolf kinda guy i’m not sure but i figured id bring it up and see if anyone else notices this.
It seems to me that modern (Western) Christianity (I've been born again 48 years) is pretty much all froth and little substance. There is way too much emphasis on experiences and not enough on reality and truth. The truth sets us free, not a rock concert with a few God words thrown around. One place I go from time is so loud that I have to wear ear plugs. Ridiculous. And unnecessary.

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that modern (Western) Christianity (I've been born again 48 years) is pretty much all froth and little substance. There is way too much emphasis on experiences and not enough on reality and truth. The truth sets us free, not a rock concert with a few God words thrown around. One place I go from time is so loud that I have to wear ear plugs. Ridiculous. And unnecessary.
Bruh why you in the college section? Haha

Upvote 0

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hear what youre saying and i agree that experiences may be over used but i actually prefer the rock style over hymns and traditional music

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I hear what youre saying and i agree that experiences may be over used but i actually prefer the rock style over hymns and traditional music
I have more of a problem with the content. There is a reason why so many Christians groups sing the old hymns and it's not because they are public domain. And when the music just fires up the emotions, it works against receiving the truth. I am a musician of sorts. Some songs are anointed and edify, others are just entertaining and not much else.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Someone asked a question so I replied. Hey, I'm still learning too.
Hmmm I think he's after advice from his generation, don't you? - that's why he picked the College room.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well, the sorta people you prefer may be fewer in number, but they exist and you'll find them. I'm sure there are clubs of almost every type at your university.

The flip side of this advice is - There's a lot to be said for stepping outside of your comfort zone, widening your circle of friends and widening your scope of thinking. That, of course, is your choice though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Seeking wisdom from college age folks is LOL most of the time tho
Well coming to this room and then being insulting is yet another reason to suggest you leave. Frankly I doubt any here value caustic remarks.

• Agree
Reactions: Neal82
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Why not just hang with these guys and listen to what they are interested in. I'm betting on career and marriage. You also may be in your "first love" with God's truth and are eager to share it, while they might have already moved past that.

Upvote 0

Neal82

Sep 5, 2015
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seeking wisdom from college age folks is LOL most of the time tho

I return to this board a few times a year specifically because of the outstanding youth members. They are its best asset. I taught undergrads while in grad school, and was constantly amazed by them. It's extremely gratifying to see young people sharing their knowledge and insights. Yes of course they can have moments when they act their age, but I've seen more immaturity and poorer reasoning skills from adults far older.

I would have immediately discarded this account had it not been for the impressive wisdom of a girl who was in high school at the time, and is now at Stanford. Her posts are exceptionally informative and articulate. The other youth posters are also fantastic. I've been reading through the teen and young adults sections. The girl you're replying to has written many posts that show she's got a first-rate mind and plenty of wisdom. It's been enjoyable reading her posts. She's correct on the facts far more often than the adults she's responding to. I trust them more than any other demographic on this board to give helpful advice and insight, especially when giving it to their peers.

• Friendly
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I return to this board a few times a year specifically because of the outstanding youth members. They are its best asset. I taught undergrads while in grad school, and was constantly amazed by them. It's extremely gratifying to see young people sharing their knowledge and insights. Yes of course they can have moments when they act their age, but I've seen more immaturity and poorer reasoning skills from adults far older.

I would have immediately discarded this account had it not been for the impressive wisdom of a girl who was in high school at the time, and is now at Stanford. Her posts are exceptionally informative and articulate. The other youth posters are also fantastic. I've been reading through the teen and young adults sections. The girl you're replying to has written many posts that show she's got a first-rate mind and plenty of wisdom. It's been enjoyable reading her posts. She's correct on the facts far more often than the adults she's responding to. I trust them more than any other demographic on this board to give helpful advice and insight, especially when giving it to their peers.

I'm guessing that you are cherry picking from both groups.

College students are usually 'in the zone' intellectually speaking, especially when participating in the classroom. However the rest of their lives may not be so, which is reflective of their age and general experience.

The best way determine their knowledge and wisdom going forward is to review the condition of older generations (unless you believe this generation is unique). The picture I see is pretty bleak.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: GaveMeJoy
Upvote 0

Neal82

Sep 5, 2015
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing that you are cherry picking from both groups.

College students are usually 'in the zone' intellectually speaking, especially when participating in the classroom. However the rest of their lives may not be so, which is reflective of their age and general experience.

Eta: I was specifically referring to the college students on this forum, who are not "in the zone" intellectually while posting on this board. Their contributions are this board's best assets.

Your guess makes me question how much time you've spent in your life in college settings. I spent more of a decade of mine in them and remain engaged. In addition to teaching undergrads I've had several roles where I was constantly interacting with them while they were outside of the academic zone.

The best way determine their knowledge and wisdom going forward is to review the condition of older generations (unless you believe this generation is unique). The picture I see is pretty bleak.

No, the best way to determine their knowledge and wisdom is based on the quality of that knowledge and wisdom. If the picture you see is bleak that has more to do with your own outlook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your guess makes me question how much time you've spent in your life in college settings. I spent more of a decade of mine in them and remain engaged. In addition to teaching undergrads I've had several roles where I was constantly interacting with them while they were outside of the academic zone.

I've lived for nearly 80 years in a college town. I've managed grad student rentals for over 40 years.

No, the best way to determine their knowledge and wisdom is based on the quality of that knowledge and wisdom. If the picture you see is bleak that has more to do with your own outlook.

The best way to determine their knowledge and wisdom is by how they manage their lives after graduation.

You may not be old enough to be as cynical as me. Give it a few years. ;)

Upvote 0

Neal82

Sep 5, 2015
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've lived for nearly 80 years in a college town. I've managed grad student rentals for over 40 years.

The best way to determine their knowledge and wisdom is by how they manage their lives after graduation.

You may not be old enough to be as cynical as me. Give it a few years. ;)

My wife grew up in a college town and her entire family still lives there. Many of the residents not affiliated with the university have superficial interactions with the students and faculty. The ones who are not as successful in their lives harbor the most bitterness, resentment, and cynicism towards the college students.

The best way to determine knowledge and wisdom is by the quality of it. You can assess judgement based on how well the person is currently managing their lives and how they've managed it to get them to their current station. Also by their work and their choices.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My wife grew up in a college town and her entire family still lives there. Many of the residents not affiliated with the university have superficial interactions with the students and faculty. The ones who are not as successful in their lives harbor the most bitterness, resentment, and cynicism towards the college students.

I would guess that the most bitter/resentful/cynical would be those whose college education didn't provide the success they imagined, especially those saddled with huge student loan debts and those unable to find the level of earnings that they imagined.

The best way to determine knowledge and wisdom is by the quality of it. You can assess judgement based on how well the person is currently managing their lives and how they've managed it to get them to their current station. Also by their work and their choices.

I agree, mostly. The subject actually needs a closer look.

Upvote 0

Neal82

Sep 5, 2015
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would guess that the most bitter/resentful/cynical would be those whose college education didn't provide the success they imagined, especially those saddled with huge student loan debts and those unable to find the level of earnings that they imagined.

I agree, mostly. The subject actually needs a closer look.

Anyone who fails to make wise use of their time on Earth is at risk of becoming bitter and cynical.

I've stayed in touch with many of the students I taught while in grad school. Besides watching my own children flourish there's really nothing more satisfying then watching them make the most of themselves. They're gainfully employed and thriving. I'm going to a wedding for one on Valentine's Day.

I have confidence in the college kids who are on this board that they'll have fulfilling, productive lives. It's evident from their posts they have gained from their education. They are also better able to help one another out with social advice as peers to the OP.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I guess it depends on where you study - and what you study! Since I became a student, I met some of the deepest people I'll ever seen, and they became the kind of "life-long" friends - but I admit that our situation at the time was peculiar and helped us to bond quite quickly and deeply. If you take the time to have a real chat with someone, you could be surprised by people, even whey they do look like hipsters :p Many of my student-life and college friends are as interested in theology & philosophy as I am and have so much to tell me - and everyone else actually. I do even admire some of them for their genuine depth.

Upvote 0