College ‘Diversity Council’ Admits to Posting Fake Racist Flyers On Campus Read more at: http://www

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Theater = Acting. Acting = Actors. Actors = Pretending. Pretending = Lying.

So anonymously putting up posters talking about the USA is a white nation is fine, if your point is to start a conversation? Because I'm sure the minority students who were freaking out over stuff like that showing up overnight at their campus would disagree with that.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
So anonymously putting up posters talking about the USA is a white nation is fine, if your point is to start a conversation? Because I'm sure the minority students who were freaking out over stuff like that showing up overnight at their campus would disagree with that.
No, I'm stating that - according to the link - the posters were done as "theater", and I was simply pointing out how "theater" = lying.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Yes, horrifically bad idea.

WHen these sorts of things happen, those who do not believe that racism exists can point and say, "See, they are making it all up!!!"

I wish there was a camera recording the meeting in which they were discussing this idea. I often wonder how stupid ideas like this happen.

THere is enough racism out there in the world where you don't have to invent your own racism to make a point.

Hell, just use some of Trump's campaign rhetoric verbatim.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I'm stating that - according to the link - the posters were done as "theater", and I was simply pointing out how "theater" = lying.

While I'm not defending their actions, your conclusion is asinine. Theater no more constitutes lying than does dressing up for halloween.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
While I'm not defending their actions, your conclusion is asinine. Theater no more constitutes lying than does dressing up for halloween.
Theater is a form of acting, and acting is a form of deception. Sorry you don't agree.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Theater is a form of acting, and acting is a form of deception.

No, acting is not a form of deception. The only way your claim would be true would be if actors tried to convince you that they actually were the people they were portraying. They don't.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have to agree, concluding that theater is "lying" is asinine. Acting may be a form of deception but not all deception equates to lying. Deception is a component of lying however deception in and of itself does not equate to lying just as brick in and of itself is not magically its own house.

In order to "lie" you need to have the intent to deceive. In theater, the audience is a "willing" member that already knows upfront that they are attending a performance. Thus, it is impossible for theater to be "lying" simply on the basis that the performers are pretending to be characters...

Now, if the theater said, "Tom Cruise will be playing the role of Romeo" and then Tom Cruise does not play that role. Then that is lying. But Tom Cruise playing Romeo is not lying, it is performing...

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
No, acting is not a form of deception. The only way your claim would be true would be if actors tried to convince you that they actually were the people they were portraying. They don't.
In order to "lie" you need to have the intent to deceive. In theater, the audience is a "willing" member that already knows upfront that they are attending a performance. Thus, it is impossible for theater to be "lying" simply on the basis that the performers are pretending to be characters...
In this case, the actors were trying to convince others that they were actually posting genuine content, before they confessed to their deception. The general public did not know upfront of their intention. This was a complete lie.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wish there was a camera recording the meeting in which they were discussing this idea. I often wonder how stupid ideas like this happen.
Yes. This, we need to find out what process of stupidity ends up with people doing things like this, it's the only way to stop stuff like this and morons attacking birthday parties.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. This, we need to find out what process of stupidity ends up with people doing things like this, it's the only way to stop stuff like this and morons attacking birthday parties.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In this case, the actors were trying to convince others that they were actually posting genuine content, before they confessed to their deception. The general public did not know upfront of their intention. This was a complete lie.

We aren't arguing about this case, we were arguing about acting in general and you know it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can't say I'm surprised, it wouldn't be the first time people have manufactured outrage simply to make their cause of the day seem more important...

This goes on more than people would like to think... (I found these literally with only 10 mins of googling...which means there are plenty more where that came from)

Jewish man arrested after spray painting swastikas on his own home in Upstate NY

Muslim girl who claimed she was pushed 'cried wolf' | Daily Mail Online

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/02/28/lakeville-south-high-school-racist-anti-semitic-graffiti/

Arrest made in connection to racially charged graffiti on Sylvania Twp. home

SDSU Police: No Suspect in Attack on Muslim Student

Campus Police determine reported hate crimes were fabricated, student shares truth - The Chimes

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...-us-jewish-community-center-bomb-threats.html

http://amp.mlive.com/v1/articles/20274103/ann_arbor_woman_pleads_guilty_1.amp

And just to show that a fair player in terms of calling out this behavior...people on the conservative side of the fence do it too.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/new-york-f...home-attempt-frame-black-lives-matter-1595709

I think people just get so desperate to try to make everyone else as passionate about their causes as they are, that they'll resort to things like this if they're not getting the public rallying behind them that they had hoped for.

Upvote 0

Freedom~Sprite

America is free! If U R opposed U R Free to LEAVE!
Feb 11, 2017
Miami
✟16,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, at least the board of the college knows who the real racists are on campus. They need to expel every member of the diversity counsel and disband the group. Make them an example. Not an excuse.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
Then you did an incredibly poor job of phrasing your comments.
Or perhaps it was a comprehension issue. I was pretty clear, pointing out this theater production, by stating "... according to the link - the posters were done ...".

Upvote 0