Colin Kaepernick is this generation's civil rights leader, Olympian John Carlos says

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Colin Kaepernick is this generation's civil rights leader, Olympian John Carlos says
The African-American athlete who sent shockwaves across the globe by raising a black power salute as he accepted a bronze medal at the 1968 Mexico City Olympics, says that NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who remains unemployed because of his protest against police brutality, is “this generation’s iconic civil rights leader.”

John Carlos told TMZ that Kaepernick's "commitment and sacrifice" to the issue makes him "one of many great individuals whose name will be spoken alongside the likes of Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, Dr. Tommie Smith, Peter Norman, and myself." Smith, who won the gold, joined Carlos in the controversial salute. Norman, an Australian, stood in solidarity with the two Americans.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I fully support Kaepernick whether he stands, sits, kneels, does cartwheels or back hand-springs or anything else during the national anthem but if he is one of the best civil rights activists of our time then somewhere along the way, things went way off course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Kapernick isn't a civil rights leader. He's just a whiny little thug who's mad because he couldn't make it in the NFL.

He's not a civil rights leader. A civil rights leader leads people and works for civil rights. He's done neither of those things. All he's done is slander police officers and suck at football.

Why don't you go read Up From Slavery and then you can come back and talk to us about civil rights.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Kapernick isn't a civil rights leader. He's just a whiny little thug who's mad because he couldn't make it in the NFL.
And here is a perfect example of what many conservatives deny: using the word "thug" has nothing to do with violence, it has always been about calling black people names because another word they'd rather use is no longer acceptable in society.

Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And here is a perfect example of what many conservatives deny: using the word "thug" has nothing to do with violence, it has always been about calling black people names because other words fell out of style...

Not all thugs are black.

And Kaepernick is only half black, anyway.

I'll be happy to call him a punk, if that will make you happy.

Upvote 0

War_Eagle

Nov 11, 2017
Lake Worth
✟9,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thug means violent person, Colin Kaepernick is not violent.

So, he wears a Che Guevara t shirt because he's not violent?

Using thug to describe black people is nothing more than a racialized statement to call all black people violent. Nice try though.

If you want to believe all black people are violent because one half-black guy is a thug who wears a thug's t shirt, that's your problem.

And nice try with the "only halfway black,"

Please don't put words in my mouth.

but the attempt to attack Kaepernick's race is noted.

How is pointing out that somebody is of two different races an attack on their race? I'm half Indian and half Dutch. Which race of my ancestry am I attacking?

Really?

Or are you backpedalling?

How am I "backpeddling"?

Why "thug"?

Because its synonymous with punk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Thug means violent person, Colin Kaepernick is not violent. Using thug to describe black people is nothing more than a racialized statement to call all black people violent. Nice try though.

And nice try with the "only halfway black," most African Americans are not "full black," but the attempt to attack Kaepernick's race is noted.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
So, he wears a Che Guevara t shirt because he's not violent?

If you want to believe all black people are violent because one half-black guy is a thug who wears a thug's t shirt, that's your problem.

Please don't put words in my mouth.

How is pointing out that somebody is of two different races an attack on their race? I'm half Indian and half Dutch. Which race of my ancestry am I attacking?

How am I "backpeddling"?

Looks like a backpedaling attempt to pretend a racist connection of black to thug was not made. Wearing a shirt, regardless of what is on it, is not violence. Nice try.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I respect Kap for what he's done.

But like someone said we're in terrible shape if he's the civil rights leader of our time. I see him as a person who's genuinely concerned and took a considerable professional risk to display it, sometimes in a bumbling way.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And here is a perfect example of what many conservatives deny: using the word "thug" has nothing to do with violence, it has always been about calling black people names because another word they'd rather use is no longer acceptable in society.

Beat me to it.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not all thugs are black.

And Kaepernick is only half black, anyway.

I'll be happy to call him a punk, if that will make you happy.
What kind of thuggery has Kaepernick ever been involved in?

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
“this generation’s iconic civil rights leader.”
That I can agree with; placing him on par with Carlos raised fist at the Olympics.

I hadn't thought of it before, but since Colin taking a knee made headlines, we've heard little to nothing from the older guard of civil rights leaders (pro or con) such as Sharpton, Jackson etc

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think we should understand there is a spectrum to civil rights leaders. You have your organizers and orators like Martin Luther King, Ralph Abernathy, Malcolm X, etc. But then you have people that were iconic for their actions where they stood up when no one else would, like Tommie Smith and John Carlos. You can even argue that Rosa Parks falls into this same category because she did not lead a Montgomery Bus Boycott, but she sure did inspire it. I think Colin Kaepernick falls in that same vein, his taking a knee will be seen much like the Olympic protest in 1968, it resulted in persecution, but you now see photos and posters of that incident adorned on people's walls.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0