Mar 27, 2006
Everywhere!
Visit site
✟7,960.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Huzzah for dire monotony. Threads in this forum are so droll and predictable it's not even funny any more.

Slander, politics, one non sequitur after another, hyperbole, propaganda, assumption, accusation, self-justification, emotion, dogma, slogans, disapprobation, stereotype, et al., all rolled up into a great big headache-inducing heap of skata (if you'll pardon my Greek).

Cui bono? -- Whom does it benefit?

Some insist they need to educate people in what is right, some feel the need to stand up and shout about injustice, some seek answers, some seek very specific answers, some just want a fight...it all eventually dissolves into the eternal ping-pong game from hell.

Personally? "To sharpen a point of view, hone it against many others."

So, frankly, I don't need to hear that "conservatives/fundies are all the same", or that "xyz is typical liberal reasoning". I don't need to see another Prop8 video, or pathetically sensationalized media headlines from what is laughingly called the "news". I don't need more references to mythological agendas, nor pseudo-science.

Seeing as this is now (for better or for worse) a "Christian-only" section, let's accept and approach each other as siblings in Christ. (As a brief aside, I dislike the supercilious labelling me an oxymoron).

:ahem:

Incidentally, this is a message board forum. Not a conversation. Do not cut up my posts in order to address specific parts out of context. My writings aren't the bible.

Lord_Barthok_Soc

Veritatem Imitare
Mar 27, 2006
Everywhere!
Visit site
✟7,960.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Now, on to my subject for this thread =)

A worrying trend towards insularity seems to be further developing amongst people, with regards to the subject of homosexuality. "Us versus them" mentality. As uncontestable evidence, let us take this very forum; that avoids me having to post external links that most people won't follow/digest, and yet will skew/contest anyway.

Lately, huge outcries in communities over "diversity education". Or, to be accurate, "diversity education teaching about same-sex relationships". Why? Because "They" are "indoctrinating children with the idea that something Immoral is acceptable".

What about Religious Education as part of a diversity program? Teaching children about the beliefs and practices of, e.g. Islam?

The horror! To suggest that others might have a different God and worship in different ways, and to say that it is equally acceptable! Yet God was quite clear when He stated through Moses that there is no other God than Him. How can we allow children to hear about such a thing as other religions, unless it be to say that they are Wrong and they should Stay Away?

Taboos eventually make people curious; knowledge, on its own, does no such thing. Ignorance has been, is, and always will be one of the prime fuels for hurt, hate, crime, and disagreement. A wonderful thing to manipulate, in order to control people.

For example: people ignorant of the fact that I am gay, making ignorant, assumptive, demonising statements about "dirty immoral gay people" to my face. Not an uncommon occurance in some Christian circles (and I've been in many, many different ones). Comments and beliefs so painfully wrong, able to preside in their minds because they were brought up detatched from "homosexuality".

That "gay" is predominantly a perjorative in today's society is harmful. Just as "Jesus Christ" or "Christian" are now expletives. What's in a label? Only that which we instill in it ourselves. Why do we fill these ones with venom?

Many lay claim to the fact that they have gay friends/family, and speak against perceived sin "out of love". It is terribly apparent from my shoes that most who would speak out of love, also speak out of ignorance.

Bringing people up with the notion that "gay is Immoral" is killing humans, both spiritually, psychologically and physically.

C.S. Lewis, a writer admired by many, was publically silent on temptations he had not personally experienced. A fine example of a man.

Homosexual attractions are nothing like pedophilia, or theft, or anger, or hate, or wanton lust. The "gayness" didn't come as a result of molestation, it was always there, and "pray the gay away" just ain't gonna cut it. And most of you are fortunate enough that you're just going to have to take our word on it.

The majority of the human race needs love, from three areas; God, friends, and a spouse. Just as trying to fill the God-shaped hole in a person's heart with sex or possessions doesn't really work, neither does trying to replace a spouse with friends, or a spouse with God. It's a different kind of relationship. Staying forever celibate is rarely a truly viable option.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if we let the following exchange of guest speakers occur...

a far-right, angry fundamentist Christian antigay speaker at a diverse welcoming school with sexually diverse kids with sexually diverse parents...

a gentle LGBT person at a fundamentalist Christian school....

the results should be interesting. As a matter of fact, the latter has been tried by Soulforce in their equality rides. To my knowledge the former has not though if it would upset some whiny pacifist types it'd be kind of gratifying for that alone.

Upvote 0