Jul 14, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Family and friends were gathered around the table on New Years Day.

Conversations of various topics could be heard all around the table.

Then Aunt Josephine started to talk about New Year's Resolutions . . .

Something I've never much understood because it seems most people never follow through on those resolutions . . . seems most people fail in those efforts and end up depressed over the fact.

Anyway, Aunt Josephine said that her New Year's Resolution would be to go on a diet and lose 50 pounds.

I silently wondered if she was referring to losing the same 50 pounds she swore she was going to lose last year as I watched her stuff a cannoli in her mouth.

Uncle Louie said his New Year's Resolution would be to finally quit smoking . . . the same resolution he's been making for the past 20 years or so . . . the only change in Uncle Louie over those 20 years is that his smoker's cough has gotten worse.

Uncle Jimmy said that perhaps he'd give up drinking . . . which is even less likely than Aunt Josephine losing 50 pounds or Uncle Louie quitting smoking.

Don't get me wrong, New Year's Resolutions do work for some people and I don't think there is anything wrong with people trying to rid bad habits from their lives . . .

It just seems to me that most people never follow through with those New Year's Resolutions.

Perhaps if they sought the Lord's help and guidance they wouldn't fail in their efforts.

As for me, instead of making a list of New Year Resolutions I will do as it is written in Matthew 6:33.

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness;"

I figure that if I truly seek the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and I pray over it, then the Good Lord will guide me in changing those behaviors that need to be changed.

Just my thoughts over coffee.

Durango