½ teaspoon salt
½ cup soft butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, washed and drained
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Grease an 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan. Sift flour, baking powder, salt. In large bowl of electric mixer, combine butter, granulated sugar, eggs; beat at high speed until fluffy.

2. At low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Fold in blueberries. Turn into prepared pan; sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.

(The first time I made this, I used low bush blueberries that I raked in New Hampshire.)

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
OVERNIGHT CRUNCH COFFEE CAKE
  1. Cream butter, gradually add sugars, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir well. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
  3. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake. Cover and chill 8 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut coffee cake into squares.
(I discovered this in one of my Farm Journal cook books.)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I was given this in North Dakota years and years ago---strangely, I found the same recipe, just about, on a website. There was no Greek yogurt back then, and very little yogurt---it was sour cream.
I've not tried the flavored yogurts--that might be interesting. I love pecans and have added about 2/3 c chopped pecans when I have them to the topping.

Makes one 9" x 13" cake

For the streusel

• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons cold butter, in chunks
For the cake

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
  2. To make the streusel: Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter until sandy and crumbly. Set aside.
  3. To make the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each.
  5. Add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt, alternating between each. Mix just until the batter comes together.
  6. Spread half of the batter into your prepared pan. Take 1/3 of the streusel mixture (or up to 1/2 of it if you want more filling) and sprinkle it evenly over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the top, spread evenly, and top with the remaining streusel.
  7. Bake for about 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying this one... can you remember your first taste of buttermilk?

OVERNIGHT CRUNCH COFFEE CAKE
  1. Cream butter, gradually add sugars, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir well. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
  3. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake. Cover and chill 8 hours. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut coffee cake into squares.
(I discovered this in one of my Farm Journal cook books.)

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying this one... can you remember your first taste of buttermilk?

Yes--my stepmother was a stickler for we had to at least try something new---didn't have to like it, but you had to try it. I wasn't sure at first, I think I was about 11, but the more I tried it, the better I liked it. I make my own now. I take about 1 cup of regular buttermilk to begin with, add it to 2 quarts of milk--I prefer the 2%, I remove 1 c of the milk to make room. Let it sit for about 24 hours at room temp. Add just a pinch of salt, shake it really well and put in frig and there you are. From there on, I take 1 c of that to add to the next batch---you can keep going forever. I've lost my reserve a few times and had to start over. I have actually made it with powdered milk. I add about 3- Tb cream --I don't know what percentage that makes, just for flavor---I have 1 c in the freezer now and am going to see if that works. That way I can just take the cup out and freeze it right at the start and not worry about forgetting to take some out. It's a lot cheaper this way. My husband is on a biscuit kick right now and I have to make a huge batch of them and freeze them or end up making them every other day. I make about 32 at a time and that takes a lot of buttermilk--almost 5 cups.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I was given this in North Dakota years and years ago---strangely, I found the same recipe, just about, on a website. There was no Greek yogurt back then, and very little yogurt---it was sour cream.
I've not tried the flavored yogurts--that might be interesting. I love pecans and have added about 2/3 c chopped pecans when I have them to the topping.

Makes one 9" x 13" cake

For the streusel

• 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons cold butter, in chunks
For the cake

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" cake pan.
  2. To make the streusel: Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Cut in the butter until sandy and crumbly. Set aside.
  3. To make the cake: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each.
  5. Add the flour mixture and the Greek yogurt, alternating between each. Mix just until the batter comes together.
  6. Spread half of the batter into your prepared pan. Take 1/3 of the streusel mixture (or up to 1/2 of it if you want more filling) and sprinkle it evenly over the batter. Pour the remaining batter over the top, spread evenly, and top with the remaining streusel.
  7. Bake for about 55 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
Adding the pecans would make it similar to the overnight coffee cake, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Gâteau au Yaourt

The cake every French kid learns to bake before riding a bike—or so I've been told. Around here, they never last beyond the "place on baking rack to cool" stage.

I know that I love croissants and brioche, especially the brioche they sell at our Walmart!

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Adding the pecans would make it similar to the overnight coffee cake, don't you think?

Very---Pecans are my favorite nut. Though I have added walnuts, pistachios, coconut, even splurged one day with macadamia---I like 1/2 & 1/2 macadamia and coconut.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Very---Pecans are my favorite nut. Though I have added walnuts, pistachios, coconut, even splurged one day with macadamia---I like 1/2 & 1/2 macadamia and coconut.

Pecans are my favorite, too. I also love cashews if I'm just having a snack.

Upvote 0