Coffee Before Reading Scripture is an Idol?

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,047.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really curious on how many is going to agree or disagree. My Pastor recently had a revelation that in the morning when your half awake you go turn on your coffee pot when you should be breaking out your bible. That makes coffee an idol. But I know many Pastors drink coffee in the morning when they crack open their Bible. So Does my Pastor have a point? :)
Seems more like OCD/anxiety than a sound preaching. Fear over marginal details of your life.

Many people have some kind of mental disorder these days, so be careful when they preach it.

Is taking a shower an idol? Is cleaning your teeth an idol? If you do it as the first thing in the morning? Oh mine... :)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GenemZ
Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Coffee an Idol? Heaven's no! I guess if you somehow worshipped coffee, but the mere consumption of it is not any different that drinking tea, soda, or orange juice. I have read many stories that claim some coffee is actually good for your health. I found out during a gene test that I am an ultra-rapid metabolizer of caffeine, which explains why I can drink coffee and sleep an hour later :). IN fact, at a local Methodist church, they at one time had a service titled "Cappucino and Christ".

I have read about one form of coffee that seems over the top, and that has to do with monkey poo. How someone decided that was a good idea, and why anyone would spend $300 per pound for that, is not an necessary an idol but seems a bit much for me, and I drink the 94+ rated coffee from coffeereview.com, since I found out Starbucks beans were not always fresh. I have a conical bean grinder, and freeze my coffee as beans as soon as I open the package, and keep them in sealed mason jars, all of which I found out about as the best way to handle coffee from coffeereview.com. I confirmed it at our local coffee shop, which I use from time to time, but getting it on internet is my normal way to get good coffee. I also drink 8 o'clock Columbia coffee, especially when I used to work and made and gave away coffee in my office.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm really curious on how many is going to agree or disagree. My Pastor recently had a revelation that in the morning when your half awake you go turn on your coffee pot when you should be breaking out your bible. That makes coffee an idol. But I know many Pastors drink coffee in the morning when they crack open their Bible. So Does my Pastor have a point? :)

I think if he can think that? He needs a cup of coffee! :angel:

The Lord created coffee with good reason! To help make us alert and enjoy the taste.

Makes for better study for some people.

There is an irony to be found in this..

For, some people make an idol out of making things into idols, so they can have something to condemn.
That's what the Pharisees did, and Jesus hated them doing it.

Its when we get religious and slip away from being spiritual that rules and regulations become a new form of legalism.

Upvote 0

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟55,654.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anything can be an idol, if one puts it above God. I dont know his heart so i cant judge if its from the spirit, but i can say this.

The spirit works in people to remove idols in their heart, if it indeed come from the spirit, then he idolized coffee in some way. It dont mean that everyone who drinks coffee has idolized coffee.

If anything, this is a personal revelation to the pastor, about what he is doing wrong, and is not meant for everyone.

Instead, it should make a Christian ponder if their are things in his life that he has put before God, rather then open up a debate or discussion about cofee.

We should instead, give thanks and praise to God, who works in people to reveal and remove idols from peoples hearts and points them towards him.

In my opinion, the pastor should of seen this as a person revelation, shared it to the congregation as a personal revelation, and explained how the power of God to work in us, to reveal these things.

Then opened in prayer, and asked that God work in each of you, to reveal and remove the idols you have in your hearts.

Again it isnt a debate about coffee at all, not sure why you jumped straight to that conclusion. The only thing i can think of is that your trusting in your own wisdom rather then seeking out wisdom from God.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,333.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think if he can think that? He needs a cup of coffee! :angel:

The Lord created coffee with good reason! To help make us alert and enjoy the taste.

Makes for better study for some people.

There is an irony to be found in this..

For, some people make an idol out of making things into idols, so they can have something to condemn.
That's what the Pharisees did, and Jesus hated them doing it.

Its when we get religious and slip away from being spiritual that rules and regulations become a new form of legalism.

That Pastor is a shame for Christianity in his over-pious narrow mind.

• Agree
Reactions: GenemZ
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Now, what would happen if the pastor had to go to the bathroom very badly before Bible study?

Would he be making his toilet an idol?

Atheists must feel self justified in disgust when they read such things as some say, that they claim is the christian thing to do..

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,333.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Atheists must feel self justified in disgust when they read such things as some say, that they claim is the christian thing to do..

Exactly.
It probably comes from that Calvinist thinking: "Any pleasure whatsoever is sinful!"

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly.
It probably comes from that Calvinist thinking: "Any pleasure whatsoever is sinful!"

Calvinists feel that way?

Most likely, that Calvinist's natural thinking along those lines, was the factor that molded their doctrinal conclusions into what they want to accept.

Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums