Can You Drink Tea/Coffee While Religious Fasting?

C

cairaiii

Hello. I really would like to begin a fast for my special intentions. However I am a coffee/tea addict and get quite cranky and sleepy without massive amounts of caffenine.

I tried fasting once on only bread and water and has the hardest day of work ever, and fell asleep after work and missed most of the fast sleeping!

Can a fast be considered a true fast w/ coffee or at least tea? Or should I be happy I get the headaches and suck it up?

Thanks

Guid

Apr 7, 2006
Canada
✟340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, a liquids only fast is a true fast. So if you just drink tea, that's OK etc. Make sure to intersperce tea and coffee with water. Because too much caffeine also can give you a headache when fasting. If you really enjoy your coffee, then consider sometimes de-caffeinated.

NEVER go without liquids when fasting more than a day or two .. max is three days without liquids. You can harm yourself without water or liquids. My advice - forget about fasting from liquids .. just go ahead and drink stuff while fasting. If God calls you to a three day fast without liquids, I suppose, but He'd had better use a mega-phone to tell you, not just whispers or whatever. Personally, I simply would not fast from liquids .. it's not safe.

During your fasts you might experience some mild headache for short times .. but if it is more than milder then, in my opinion, it is not healthy and you should consider ending the fast and figuring out why you have headaches.

Fasting is between you and God and the Holy Spirit. It's not meant to punish oneself, or show off, or because one feels guilty. It's meant to be a good thing between you and God.

Upvote 0

DIVA_for_Christ

Veteran
Jul 12, 2005
✟9,589.00
Faith
Christian
cairaiii said:
Hello. I really would like to begin a fast for my special intentions. However I am a coffee/tea addict and get quite cranky and sleepy without massive amounts of caffenine.

I tried fasting once on only bread and water and has the hardest day of work ever, and fell asleep after work and missed most of the fast sleeping!

Can a fast be considered a true fast w/ coffee or at least tea? Or should I be happy I get the headaches and suck it up?

Thanks

You sound like they way I used to be. I had to have a cup of coffee to stay awake. That's not healthy and I had to realize that all that caffeine was doing more damage then good. Having a caffeine addiction causes headaches when you don't drink it.

I weened myself off of it. I drink a cup every once in awhile now because I do like the taste. However, when fasting, drink plenty of water, herbal teas, cranberry juice (helps clean out urinary tract system, oj, etc) I stayed away from coffee because I have to have cream with mine. And when I'm on a liquid fast dairy drinks are not allowed because they fill me up. You might try soy milk or my favorite right now is Almond Milk, called Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond. It's a soy product but it tastes really good. if you need your coffee not to be black.

When you pray, really seek God to see if He is trying to break the caffeine addiction. Water will help with the headaches because it flushes out toxins in the body. Praying can help with the headaches as well as sometimes the headaches are attacks.

When I pray and fast I tend to sleep more as well. As you grow you will sleep less than you find yourself sleeping now.

Upvote 0

FlatpickingJD

Losing the battle with oxalis
Dec 2, 2005
✟38,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're fasting for religious reasons, you would probably do well to abstain from caffeine products as well. You should try to abstain from those things which bind you to the material world. As others before me said, I wouldn't go w/o water though. We do need liquids.

Caffeine use is an addiction and you might be able to use the fast as a jump start to rid yourself of the addiction. Try to ween yourself from caffeine beforehand, if possible, to lessen the physical pangs from the caffeine.

Personally, I find soy milk, rice milk, and almond milk to be food products and my body does not respond as if I'm fasting when I use those products. Treat the fast as you would if your doctor told you no liquids for 12 hours before a blood test: that means water only.

Upvote 0

CindyisHis

I am my Beloved's and He is mine.
Jun 28, 2006
seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus
✟44,598.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fasting is a wonderful to time to have in the Lord. It is wonderful! I've never regreted doing a fast, nor have I failed to see God do glorious and wonderful things both in me and for me as a result of a fast set aside for Him, doing it His way.

It is a great way to learn to walk after the spirit and to put the flesh down, or in other words, to gain control over it. I find when I fast it becomes easier to control my tongue, to be kind, gentle, and to stop other addictive behavior.

It is a time of cleansing, for every part of my being, spirit, soul, and body. I am much more sensitive to sin in my life, or ways that are not pleasing to the Lord. My mind begins to clear itself and my thinking grows sharper. And finally, my body rids itself of toxins, thus enabling clarity of thinking, clear eyes, glowing skin, and a host of other things too numerous to list!

Fasting has its ups and downs. Not every moment do I feel wonderful while fasting. It's tough on the flesh in every respect. Sometimes I have gone through periods where I can hardly get off the couch because of weakness. This is not abnormal. It is all part of the process of the body cleansing itself. At this time, don't worry. You'll feel great later, and you'll be glad you did it.

These things happen mainly on a more lengthy fast, although if done in a way that promotes health to the body, you may feel it the second day. Every fast is different, and every body is different. The most important thing though is - don't take in any junk at this time. Whether it is liquid or solid form, a toxin is a toxin!

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't dream of having coffee on a fast. Herbal teas, such as medicinal teas are highly recommended and will aid in cleansing the body if you choose the right ones for that.

If you experience such severe affects when fasting that prevent you from working I would try a couple of things. One, fast when you're off, on a weekend, or possibly taking time away from work to fast if the situation demanded a more lengthy fast. You know your body and what it is capable of. It is best not to start out with a longer fast, but to do short ones. The other thing is, prepare to fast. This is vitally important to minimize the negative physical discomforts. This done by slowing down on the caffeine prior to the fast. Also, eat only raw fruits and vegetables for two days before you fast Or, for three days have oatmeal for breakfast (and not sugary, instant) with only raw fruits and vegetables the rest of the day. And yes, you can eat a salad without dressing. You don't need those chemicals in most store bought bottled salad dressings. Doing this will greatly reduce hunger, headaches, and more. No fast is easy. Suffering is part of it, but the benefits far outweigh the price you pay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guid

Apr 7, 2006
Canada
✟340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Getting Ready

I was sitting here reviewing this thread. And thought about tea, coffee and caffeine and realized. If one is concerned about caffeine addiction going into a fast, one has at least couple of good options:

1 Break the addiction a week or two beforehand. Really reduce the amount of caffeine one injests before going on the fast. Slowly but surely seriously reduce then cut out caffeine a week or two before the fast. That way it isn't an issue during the fast - it's already taken care of.

2 Or, go into the fast with a preconceived or planned set number of teas or coffee for each day of the fast. Just enough to starve off any headaches etc., say one tea in the morning and one mid-afternoon. Again, that is sufficient so that caffeine is not an issue during the fast. Avoid too much caffeine during a fast. It works to dehydrate you anyway, and can give you headaches during a fast. Limit the amount of it and you should be fine.

If you are the type that really enjoys coffee a lot (I've been like that), try to develop a taste for other beverages before the fast; trying drinking various juices, water, even light tea etc. so as not to depend on too much on coffee during the fast.

If you depend too much on Coca Cola - some people drink it almost exclusively - like with those who drink a lot of coffee, try to develop taste for other drinks including water. Coca Cola can quickly give you headaches during a fast - quicker than tea or coffee as Coca Cola contains not only caffeine, and lots of sugar, but it looks like other activated psychoactive alkaloids/compounds - IANAC (I Am Not A Chemist).

Upvote 0

MalcolmD

Aug 22, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
✟7,680.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
>...the hardest day of work ever, and fell asleep...
>Can a fast be considered a true fast w/ coffee or at least tea?

When I'm fasting at work and get tired I'll have a cup of coffee to stay awake. I feel I'm there to serve the company I work for so I'll do what is needed to get the job done. If coffee or tea is all you have while fasting you're pretty much fasting. The Bible doesn't have much to say about what constitues a true fast. Daniel fasted for twenty-one days and got his prayers answered but wasn't on a total fast. I prefer a total fast but that doesn't always seem possible or feasible.

>...should I be happy I get the headaches and suck it up?

If I was to get a headache while fasting I'd consider taking something for it.

Upvote 0