• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

CoE may offer "Baptism Lite"

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Tangible, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Tangible

Tangible Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato

+1,249
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

+378
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    UK-Conservative
  3. doulos_tou_kuriou

doulos_tou_kuriou Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz

+66
    Lutheran
    Married
    Well the most essential piece is the baptism itself. We have freedom in the rest of the rite, does that mean we should change it? Not necessarily. Without actually seeing the proposed changes (not just hearing that there is language they think others will not recognize/understand) it is hard to judge. If the idea is not to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit there is a big problem, then there is no baptism at all.

From the blog link I noticed that Godparents are not usually in prebaptismal discussions. I think this is a problem. The Godparent has in many circles become the baptismal equivalent of the best man/maid of honor. Many sponsors are not even Christian (or I should say actively Christian). More intention in including them in the pre-rite conversations should be the emphasis, not changing their vow because they do not understand what they are saying they will do. And selection should be better, not just best buds or relatives. They should actually take a role in the baptismal life of the child.

The change could be positive. That is, the rite could become clearer. But it could likewise become so watered down that it has no real meaning anyways. If someone ever gets hold of the proposed changes I would love for that to be posted. Then I can make more concrete responses.

4. porterross

porterross I miss Ronald Reagan

+3,761
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Tang, I wouldn't look to the Daily Mail for anything more than feeding a need to find out which flavor of the day celebrity was doing what they do in order to get their photo taken. It's not in any manner pretending to be the height of journalistic excellence in Britain.

5. Tangible

Tangible Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato

+1,249
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Kinda like USA Today?

6. Heavens

Heavens Guest

+0
    It's about the bucks. Grocery stores are also placing slightly less product in slightly smaller packages yet keeping the price the same to increase profits. They hope that people will just accept it.
    It's happening all over.

7. bach90

bach90 Evangelical Catholic

+17
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Republican
    I don't think it's necessarily to attract non-Christians. I'm pretty sure that a Muhammadan is not going to want to be Baptized, neither a Jew or a Hindu or, well you get my point.

The point here seems to be to simplify the rite a bit, as long as the essential form is there I think the ceremony would fall under the category of adiaphora.

8. BigNorsk

BigNorsk Contributor

+755
    Lutheran
    Married
    Seems strange that the ritual will now have been changed several times in the last 30 years after being stable for hundreds.

9. goldbeach

goldbeach Guest

+0
    I'm concerned whether these are valid baptisms.

10. lux et lex

lux et lex light and law

+159
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Why wouldn't they be? I'd think it would be better, especially for people who were previously "unchurched" because using more simplified words doesn't necessarily change its meaning and may make the church more accessible to people. Flowery language isn't important, it's the meaning in the words. If you aren't able to understand the flowery words and are meaninglessly nodding and mumbling agreements, are you really getting anything out of it?

11. DaRev

DaRev Well-Known Member

+702
    Lutheran
    Married
    But a "baptism" that is not done in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit is not a valid baptism.

12. lux et lex

lux et lex light and law

+159
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I skimmed the article and I didn't see where it said that wasn't being done. But I could be wrong, I'm a bit on the tired side.

13. TomUK

TomUK What would Costanza do? Supporter

+378
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    UK-Conservative
    Who said anything about a non-Trinitarian baptism?!