Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The president of United Mine Workers of America said Wednesday that the coal industry is not "back," despite President Donald Trump's claims.

Cecil Roberts said at an event in Washington that his message to Trump and others running for president in 2020 is: "Coal's not back. Nobody saved the coal industry." He said coal-fired plants are closing all over the country, calling it a "harsh reality."
Does this mean - surely not - that Trump is a secret environmentalist? Who knew? :)

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The president of United Mine Workers of America said Wednesday that the coal industry is not "back," despite President Donald Trump's claims.

Cecil Roberts said at an event in Washington that his message to Trump and others running for president in 2020 is: "Coal's not back. Nobody saved the coal industry." He said coal-fired plants are closing all over the country, calling it a "harsh reality."

Nobody saved the buggy whip industry either.

Although I find it difficult to imagine there are many people who are saying, "All I've ever wanted to do with my life is dig coal, get black lung disease and die before my time as I gasp desperately for air.

The sad thing is that coal is usually located in parts of the country which are not necessarily attractive for other industries. Because of that when coal mines shut down, they often end up shutting down an entire town. People lose their investments in homes and stores.

It is easy to say that those who mined should just train for a different job. The hard part is that 1) coal mine owners don't offer job training for some other industry, 2) training isn't available in mining towns, and 3) miners have just lost the value of their homes and don't have the resources to pick up, move somewhere else -and- pay for re-training.

America is a rather heartless nation in that once individuals have fulfilled their ability to make someone else money, no one cares about them anymore.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I am pretty sure that the reporter misunderstood our elected leader. If a person has an anti-Trump and America agenda, they will try to make news out of nothing.

President Trump CLEARLY said that “Coal is BLACK.” which it most certainly is. God bless our beloved President and long may he reign.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Nobody saved the buggy whip industry either.

Although I find it difficult to imagine there are many people who are saying, "All I've ever wanted to do with my life is dig coal, get black lung disease and die before my time as I gasp desperately for air.

The sad thing is that coal is usually located in parts of the country which are not necessarily attractive for other industries. Because of that when coal mines shut down, they often end up shutting down an entire town. People lose their investments in homes and stores.

It is easy to say that those who mined should just train for a different job. The hard part is that 1) coal mine owners don't offer job training for some other industry, 2) training isn't available in mining towns, and 3) miners have just lost the value of their homes and don't have the resources to pick up, move somewhere else -and- pay for re-training.

America is a rather heartless nation in that once individuals have fulfilled their ability to make someone else money, no one cares about them anymore.

That's just lack of imagination on the part of our leaders.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of course coal is not back, it probably ought not be back as fuel for power stations. And it is crazy to believe almost anything that Donald Trump says.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is easy to say that those who mined should just train for a different job.
Welcome to the real world. Lots of people change jobs every 20 years although they usually get some sort of retirement. I had a doctor that retired on me after he had been in private practice for 20 years. Although his retirement may have been the best thing that happened for his patients. My aunt worked as a social worker for 20 years. Then she went back to get her PhD and worked for the next 20 years as a professor at the university. I did construction work for 20 years and then I had enough so I let the young guys take over and I went into sales. So it is pretty common that people have to make changes in life. Sometimes they have to go back and get more education. It is never to late. Even people can take classes online. If they are willing to do the work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am pretty sure that the reporter misunderstood our elected leader. If a person has an anti-Trump and America agenda, they will try to make news out of nothing.

President Trump CLEARLY said that “Coal is BLACK.” which it most certainly is. God bless our beloved President and long may he reign.
God bless President Trump

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
“Between now and 2030, there are still 12 years, so a government can speed up processes and get things done,” Mr. Graichen said.
The mindset is incredibly dense here. After 2030 its too late, but in 2030 as nothing happens, then the new date will be 2042!

You do understand they are forecasting the end of the world..(well the end of human civilization, ultimate fearmongering ), if governments do not force people to stop using energy these greens dont like.

Why ‘Green’ Germany Remains Addicted to Coal

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
President Trump CLEARLY said that “Coal is BLACK.” which it most certainly is.

...and why it can go back to the hole it came from.

*I was going to post that Happy Gilmore "go back to your home" clip, but profanities. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not surprising this is happening when Natural gas is so much cheaper to use everybody is switching. Coal will not make a comeback until they figure out how to capture more of the pollutants caused by burning coal and demand in other countries rises.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0