CNN uses ‘individuals with a cervix’ instead of ‘women’ in report on cervical cancer screening

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The CNN tweet of the report was met with mixed responses, with some replying by saying that the news report should have just used the word 'women.'

August 3, 2020 (LifeSiteNews) — In a report on cervical cancer screening, CNN refused to use the word “women” when describing people who need such screenings, using instead the phrase “individuals with a cervix.” Critics on social media quickly pointed out that the “woke” choice of words seemed like something out of a “Soviet internal memo” and that CCNN wanted to “cancel women.”

“Individuals with a cervix are now recommended to start cervical cancers screening at 25 and continue through age 65, with the primary human papillomavirus (HPV) testing every five years as the preferred method of testing,” opens the CNN report published Thursday.

The report was about updated cervical cancer screening guidelines issued by the American Cancer Society (ACS) in a paper called “CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians.”

Continued below.
CNN uses ‘individuals with a cervix’ instead of ‘women’ in report on cervical cancer screening

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If anyone has an ear, let him hear: If anyone is to be taken captive, to captivity he goes; if anyone is to be slain with the sword, with the sword must he be slain. Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.

Revelation 13:9-10

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't mean to put down anyone who struggles with gender dysphoria, but things like this really reminds me of the time in the 1990s when the musician Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol, so then media outlets who wrote stories about him had to refer to him as "the artist formerly known as Prince", since there was no way to say his name like an actual name. By the time he passed away (and for some time before that) I guess he had either stopped that or otherwise become comfortable with being called Prince again, because every outlet I can remember referred to him as Prince again. The headlines read "Prince dies", not "The artist formerly known as Prince dies". You could say that this may have been disrespecting his identity as that unpronounceable symbol, but on the other hand many people could counter that we all know exactly who we're talking about, and it's way easier to just write "Prince", since that's what everyone knows him by already.

Everyone already knows what a woman is and that it is women in particular that have cervixes and hence can get cervical cancer, so all of this parading around of 'woke' language by writing "individuals with a cervix" seems like an unreasonable thing to attempt to replace the already very simple, universally understood and known "woman" with. No normal adult who has a life and realizes that their time is valuable is going to waste time with this sort of thing in lieu of using the word (not an entire clause) that everyone already knows.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
People tell doctors they are male or female, and the diseases and prognoses change accordingly. If this is not biologically accurate it can, and has, caused trouble. I know of a missed ectopic pregnancy for this exact reason. I understand why CNN has said this, as some transgender people are very touchy about it. However, this is a serious problem in Medicine currently, and the doctors should always be made explicitly aware what chromosomes you carry. From a medical aspect, we should not allow this type of speech. It is true that some women don't have cervixes, such as those in which it was removed, but that is merely exception that proves the rule.

Upvote 0