• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

CNN: Let's Get Real About Abortion

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Fantine, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+8,599
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    No surprise here--they agree with me that the punitive model, while it may make the self-righteous feel even more self-righteous by making mothers bear the natural consequences of their 'sins,' often while the fathers get off scot-free, is not the most effective policy.

Further down in the article, it talks about the increase in abortion in the Netherlands when immigrants from patriarchal cultures moved in.

I never really associated patriarchal subcultures with increases in abortion. Hmmm...

Let's get real about abortions - CNN.com

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FullyMT

FullyMT Veni Sancte Spiritus

+286
    Catholic
    Single
    I thought it was a good article which stressed the both/and nature, we can limit abortions and help women. (But, gasp, this may require "big government" to intervene by providing social services, or making sure all businesses offer maternity leave to women!)

3. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,431
    Catholic
    Private
    Teaching abstinence - is the only absolute.
    Sometimes these threads seem to promote BC in the Catholic section that we know is not allowable.

4. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,577
    Christian
    Wow, the whole audience on CNN has just checked in. LOL If a tree falls in the woods, and no-one hears it, Did it fall ?

5. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter

+3,382
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    By law, businesses must provide maternity leave to women.

Not so long ago, it was the Church that provided services to unwed mothers.

6. FullyMT

FullyMT Veni Sancte Spiritus

+286
    Catholic
    Single
  7. Fantine

+8,599
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    One of my biggest concerns if Roe v. Wade is overturned or if a human life amendment is passed is how pregnant women will be treated afterwards.

From everything I've seen, most pro-lifers don't approve of the behavior and lifestyles of unwed mothers, but darn it, they've gotta be nice to them because they have a commodity the pro-lifers need....

And while they might prefer that there be a law banning abortions so that thes unwed mothers could be treated the way they deserve to be treated, they're stuck being kind and dispensing Pampers.

Here in the Bible Belt (sigh) I see this attitude among the evangelicals. They go scouring neighborhoods looking for poor and unsaved youth. They feed them and give them school supplies and take them to Bible school, and the moms appreciate it because they're overwhelmed and overburdened.....

And when the kids aren't around the evangelicals bad mouth their parents and talk about how these kids would never learn about Jesus if they weren't scavenging around apartment complexes looking for them.

8. holyorders

holyorders Miserable Pile of Secrets

+174
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Fact:

In Nazi Germany, to abort "aryan" unborn children was punishable by death.

Fact:

Abortion was "perfected" (with the help of Margaret Sanger) in Nazi Germany as a means to control the undesirables.

9. WarriorAngel

+7,431
    Catholic
    Private
    True.

And for the question if Roe v Wade is over turned - it will go back to how things were before RvW. That's not even a concern.

In fact, unwed mothers usually gave up their children if they couldnt marry someone.
    However; i think getting rid of RvW would probably provide women with a more discerning self respect and not have sex with every guy they want.

Times have changed - i see how bad it is now. It's worse than i remember and i thot things were bad when i was growing up - no one seems to abstain. No one cares - and sin - pffft. Because abortion on demand is readily available - ppl are throwing their souls away for a 5 minute fix.
    Because there is no love in it - ppl changing partners [discarding them] like used underwear.

Yah, BC and abortion has changed the mind set of all ppl. Even women are ok with things as they are ...being used and thrown away.
    No one loves anymore. Married ppl are having affairs and no one blinks.
    No one cares.

It's really bad. Working where i do - and hearing the teens talk - and how they sleep over their bf's place and such - i am speechless. Even those who believe in Jesus - just dont care.

I would say abortion and BC brought us the worst of the worst sins - and now ppl think we cannot go back to morality.

10. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,577
    Christian

Maybe you should start looking into volunteering for the church. I know in Boston , they get volunteers who open their homes to young pregnant girls. The goal is to shelter, clothe and feed them, and to make sure they finish school, but above all, the girl doesn't kill her child, and another beautiful life is formed.

I recall a sister Mariam here near Boston, requesting a bed or other supplies prior or during a Thursday night Charismatic Mass and healing service. The bed was provided for.

So maybe this is your call Fantine. Maybe you can help youg ladies from ending the lives of their babies.

11. Fantine

+8,599
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I suppose you are trying to assert that pro-choice politicians are worse than Nazis.

Because Himmler, for example, in 1936:

Nazism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I suppose you are trying to assert that if Himmler were running against Obama today, the bishops would tell us to vote for Himmler because he was pro-life.

And as sick and perverse and distorted as that idea would be, I bet there are a few bishops out there who would tell Catholics to vote for Himmler.

I guess the fact that I would even consider that there might be a few bishops who'd jump at that position shows how serious I feel they've violated my trust.

12. holyorders

holyorders Miserable Pile of Secrets

+174
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Not what I mean.

I am implying that some old dogs have a hard time letting go of bad habits...

13. WarriorAngel

+7,431
    Catholic
    Private
    Liberal/progressive is the new word for 'same old' in a new package...with a bow.

14. isshinwhat

isshinwhat Pro Deo et Patria

+605
    Eastern Orthodox
    So, what other crimes which have some basis in poverty should we decriminalize? Theft? Prostitution? Fraud? Why should any murder in which poverty was a motivating factor be different than the murder of abortion?

15. WarriorAngel

+7,431
    Catholic
    Private
    And then there is this...
    The constant pain - the mother wishing she had her child.

As an example:

The Blue Letter Archives

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]She became pregnant, and neither doubted Henley was the father. The "situation" was resolved quickly and quietly when Nicks, between tour dates, had an abortion. Although Henley did not try to force the issue, according to friends, she was deeply upset about what she considered his fast and easy consent to her decision. Nicks took it as Henley's way of saying he wasn't intersted in any type of serious long-term commitment. As had become his pattern, in the beginning Henley played the ultimate Southern-charm gentleman -- flowers, phone calls, words of love, Lear jets to Paris for romantic dinners. In the end he was distant, unreachable, brooding, argumentative, and elusive. It was a pattern by now so familiar to the Eagles crew it had become a running joke. Henley's favored method of seduction became to be known as "Love 'em and Lear 'em". [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Years later, Henley had this to say about his affair with Nicks: "[Stevie had] named the unborn kid Sara, and she had an abortion." She then wrote the song of the same name (which became a huge hit for her) and, according to Henley, dedicated it "to the spirit of the aborted baby".
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hesy7GBjr1Y[/FONT]

Wait a minute baby. . .
    Stay with me awhile
    Said you'd give me light
    But you never told me about the fire

Drowning in the sea of love
    Where everyone would love to drown
    And now it's gone
    It doesn't matter anymore
    When you build your house
    Call me home

And he was just like a great dark wing
    Within the wings of a storm
    I think I had met my match--he was singing
    And undoing the laces
    Undoing the laces

And now it's gone
    Call me home

Hold on
    The night is coming and the starling
    flew for days
    I'd stay home at night all the time
    I'd go anywhere, anywhere
    Ask me and I'm there because I care

Sara, you're the poet in my heart
    Never change, never stop
    And now it's gone
    It doesn't matter what for
    I'll come by

And now it's gone
    Call me home

All I ever wanted
    Was to know that you were dreaming
    (There's a heartbeat
    And it never really died)

16. WarriorAngel

+7,431
    Catholic
    Private
  17. TheOtherHockeyMom

TheOtherHockeyMom Contributor

+232
    Catholic
    Private
    Same old what?

18. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,577
    Christian
    My Mother and Father grew up in Abject poverty, yet the crime level was exceedingly low. The problem is now, that people have forsaken God and the school systems teach our kids to act like animals. Many live in poverty, but don't steal, don't have sex without any care as to the consequences. I am not portraying myself as any better, but I do understand that with my actions, come consequences.

We are supposed to know and understand this as Christians.

19. AMDG

AMDG Tenderized for Christ

+1,226
    Catholic
    Married
    :thumbsup:

My grandmother (God rest her soul) use to tell me that one could *be* poor, but he didn't have to act like it.

Poverty is no excuse for immorality.

20. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,144
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I hear this a lot...public education teaches kids to be animals. I'm in public education. I've taught second, third, fifth, and sixth grades. I also know several middle school and high school teachers quite well. Nowhere in our system do we teach pre-marital sex as a virtue, we don't discuss the gay lifestyle, we don't discuss divorce, condoms, hooking up, or any of the other stuff I keep hearing. I'm always hearing this stuff. The P.E. teacher at our school teaches family life. I've sat in my classroom working at my computer while he taught the "Growth and Development/Family Life" curriculum. It talks about hormones, changes in your body, things to expect as your body changes, and it actually talks about sex being connected to love and nowhere do I ever hear any such nonsense about how kids should go nail every girl they see on sight? Never. They don't pass out condoms in our high schools or train kids to be chimpanzees with hormone rages. This is far Right propaganda aimed at making public education the great satan out to program the youth away from God. It's pure poppycock.