Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There are reasons why a reasonable person wouldn’t want Ron DeSantis to be Governor, or to receive a second term. For instance, he ran a campaign ad in 2022 which implied that God endorsed his candidacy. That’s quite a bit of ego even for a politician.

In the past year, CNN ran a story, or opinion piece, predicting that feminism would soon be the “sleeping giant” in American politics. Specifically, it suggested that abortion would be the “sleeping giant” that would determine the election and upset all predictions. If abortion determined the results of the Governor’s race in Florida, it backfired for Democrats, liberals and feminists. Charlie Crist, a former Repubican Governor, now running as a Democrat, closely allied himself with the feminists, making easy access to abortion a central issue.

Florida Election Results 2022

Ron DeSantis(Republican) 59.4% 4,614,210 votes

Charlie Crist (Democrat) 40.0% 3,106,313 votes

In other words, Ron DeSantis received almost 3/5 of the vote.
Charlie Crist received only 40%, sometimes considered to be the threshold where a candidate can be taken seriously. This is an incredibly lopsided race.

It looks like CNN’s “sleeping giant” fell flat on his face and died of a head concussion.

CNN:The issue that could be the sleeping giant of the 2022 elections

Quote: “But there’s another issue simmering below the surface at the moment that could also go a long way in shaping the political environment heading into this year’s midterm elections: abortion.”

Link:
The issue that could be the sleeping giant of the 2022 elections | CNN Politics

Reactions: BobRyan

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In the past year, CNN ran a story, or opinion piece, predicting that feminism would soon be the “sleeping giant” in American politics. Specifically, it suggested that abortion would be the “sleeping giant” that would determine the election and upset all predictions. If abortion determined the results of the Governor’s race in Florida, it backfired for Democrats, liberals and feminists.

The good news is that they will probably "double down" - on that losing strategy.

Charlie Crist received only 40%, sometimes considered to be the threshold where a candidate can be taken seriously. This is an incredibly lopsided race.

It looks like CNN’s “sleeping giant” fell flat on his face and died of a head concussion.

Upvote 0

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟146,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"campaign ad in 2022 which implied that God endorsed his candidacy.."
Im all for biblical truth and all, but if we think we are gonna find a good theologian or a Bill Graham running in politics - we're the ones who are crazy - it aint happening. Im just looking for someone who recognizes and stands against hyper leftist and progressive ideologies, taxes and programs. Ive never seen a campaign ad I liked, generally they are put together by ad companies, I hope, and doubt Ron really believes this...

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"campaign ad in 2022 which implied that God endorsed his candidacy.."
Im all for biblical truth and all, but if we think we are gonna find a good theologian or a Bill Graham running in politics - we're the ones who are crazy - it aint happening. Im just looking for someone who recognizes and stands against hyper leftist and progressive ideologies, taxes and programs. Ive never seen a campaign ad I liked, generally they are put together by ad companies, I hope, and doubt Ron really believes this...

Actually, when a good Christian runs for office they generally aren't very popular.

I believe that Ben Carson is a good Christian man, and he ran for president in the primaries in the 2016 presidential election.

Our whole family (my husband, myself, my mother-in-law and her husband, my sister's-in-law - all of them - and their husbands) were planning to vote for Carson in the primary but he had done so poorly that he dropped out of the primary before my state voted...

Whenever a good Christian man runs like that, they never get far - and they never win.

People talk a good game on wanting a Christian leadership, but when push comes to shove it's never what they vote for.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are reasons why a reasonable person wouldn’t want Ron DeSantis to be Governor, or to receive a second term. For instance, he ran a campaign ad in 2022 which implied that God endorsed his candidacy. That’s quite a bit of ego even for a politician.

In the past year, CNN ran a story, or opinion piece, predicting that feminism would soon be the “sleeping giant” in American politics. Specifically, it suggested that abortion would be the “sleeping giant” that would determine the election and upset all predictions. If abortion determined the results of the Governor’s race in Florida, it backfired for Democrats, liberals and feminists. Charlie Crist, a former Repubican Governor, now running as a Democrat, closely allied himself with the feminists, making easy access to abortion a central issue.

CNN:The issue that could be the sleeping giant of the 2022 elections

Quote: “But there’s another issue simmering below the surface at the moment that could also go a long way in shaping the political environment heading into this year’s midterm elections: abortion.”

Link:
The issue that could be the sleeping giant of the 2022 elections | CNN Politics
Desantis may have done well, but Republicans as a whole significantly underperformed. They lost a seat in the Senate, barely regained the House, and lost control in several state houses. There were a lot of factors at play, but I don't think it's wise to discount Dobbs as one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Desantis may have done well, but Republicans as a whole significantly underperformed. They lost a seat in the Senate, barely regained the House, and lost control in several state houses. There were a lot of factors at play, but I don't think it's wise to discount Dobbs as one of them.
On the subject of abortion, most Americans are in the middle. My views, for instance, have infuriated extremists on both sides. If the 2022 Florida Governor's race was about abortion, the people only had a choice between the extremists. I believe that the question of abortion must be settled by legislative compromise, but I don't have any candidate to vote for who says that. It is important to realize that when the Democratic Party becomes the Feminist Party, they lose, and they lose badly.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is important to realize that when the Democratic Party becomes the Feminist Party, they lose, and they lose badly.
They've long been "the Feminist Party" and they haven't been losing badly. In the last 34 years, they've lost exactly one presidential popular vote. Over the same period of time, both parties have had control over each chamber of congress a roughly equal amount of time, despite Republicans having structural advantages in both chambers, especially the senate.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They've long been "the Feminist Party" and they haven't been losing badly. In the last 34 years, they've lost exactly one presidential popular vote. Over the same period of time, both parties have had control over each chamber of congress a roughly equal amount of time, despite Republicans having structural advantages in both chambers, especially the senate.
The last 34 years would be every election since 1988. Do you have a source for the claim that the Democratic Party has lost only one popular vote for the Presidency in that time?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The last 34 years would be every election since 1988. Do you have a source for the claim that the Democratic Party has lost only one popular vote for the Presidency in that time?

Scroll down to popular vote results. Since 1988, the only presidential popular vote Republicans won was in 2004. In the two other elections they won in that period, 2000 and 2016, they won the electoral college but lost the popular vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Scroll down to popular vote results. Since 1988, the only presidential popular vote Republicans won was in 2004. In the two other elections they won in that period, 2000 and 2016, they won the electoral college but lost the popular vote.

That's not what the Wikipedia chart shows. What it does show:

In 1988, George Bush/Dan Quayle, Republican, received 53.4 % of the vote. That's a majority.
In 1992 Bill Clinton/Al Gore, Democrat, took office but received only 43% of the vote. That's a minority.
In 1996, Bill Clinton/Al Gore, Democrat, took office but received only 49% of the vote, still a minority.
In 2004, Bush/Cheney, Republican, received 50.7% of the vote. That's a majority.

In the hotly contested 2000 election, Al Gore, Democrat, received more votes than GWBush but even so, Gore only received 48.4% of the vote, a minority.

In 2008, Barack Obama/Joe Biden, Democrat, did received 52.9% of the vote, a majority. Nevertheless, it looks like the Democrats won that election because the voters were disgusted with the Bush Administration's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am not seeing evidence of a sustainable majority for the Democratic Party.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not what the Wikipedia chart shows. What it does show:

In 1988, George Bush/Dan Quayle, Republican, received 53.4 % of the vote. That's a majority.
In 1992 Bill Clinton/Al Gore, Democrat, took office but received only 43% of the vote. That's a minority.
In 1996, Bill Clinton/Al Gore, Democrat, took office but received only 49% of the vote, still a minority.
In 2004, Bush/Cheney, Republican, received 50.7% of the vote. That's a majority.

In the hotly contested 2000 election, Al Gore, Democrat, received more votes than GWBush but even so, Gore only received 48.4% of the vote, a minority.

In 2008, Barack Obama/Joe Biden, Democrat, did received 52.9% of the vote, a majority. Nevertheless, it looks like the Democrats won that election because the voters were disgusted with the Bush Administration's handling of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am not seeing evidence of a sustainable majority for the Democratic Party.
I don’t think you know what the word “minority” means. Try googling “plurality.”

You can spin things however you want, but the fact remains that since 1988, Democratic presidential candidates have gotten more votes than Republican candidates every time except one. That’s not “losing badly.”

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t think you know what the word “minority” means. Try googling “plurality.”

You can spin things however you want, but the fact remains that since 1988, Democratic presidential candidates have gotten more votes than Republican candidates every time except one. That’s not “losing badly.”

I am not spinning anything. In Presidential races, Democrats have consistently polled less than 50% over the past forty years. Bill Clinton received 43% of the vote in 1992 and 49% of the vote in 1996. He became President because the conservative vote split between the Republican and Reform parties. Reform has disappeared, so that won't happen again. There is a solid conservative majority.

Even after after four years of Donald Trump on a fiery rampage, Joe Biden only polled about 51% of the popular vote. That is a poor showing, and it will be worse if he doesn't retire and let someone else be the Democratic candidate in 2024.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Let me tell you what the story is in the Congressional district where I vote. In the 2022 election, we didn't have a candidate for Congress from the Democratic Party. We had two candidates, a Republican and a Libertarian. Their platforms were the same, as far as I can tell. In the district I live in, the Democratic Party is so weak they didn't bother to put up a candidate.

If you read commentary on the Florida legislature, commentators talk about black Democrats and white Democrats as if they were two separate parties. Even when Democrats get elected, they can't work together.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not spinning anything.

Yes, you are. You're moving the goalposts, too.

In Presidential races, Democrats have consistently polled less than 50% over the past forty years. Bill Clinton received 43% of the vote in 1992 and 49% of the vote in 1996. He became President because the conservative vote split between the Republican and Reform parties. Reform has disappeared, so that won't happen again. There is a solid conservative majority.

And yet, Republicans have only won the popular vote once in the 22 years since Clinton left office.

Let me tell you what the story is in the Congressional district where I vote. In the 2022 election, we didn't have a candidate for Congress from the Democratic Party. We had two candidates, a Republican and a Libertarian. Their platforms were the same, as far as I can tell. In the district I live in, the Democratic Party is so weak they didn't bother to put up a candidate.

If you read commentary on the Florida legislature, commentators talk about black Democrats and white Democrats as if they were two separate parties. Even when Democrats get elected, they can't work together.
Why do I care what your particular district looks like? It's obviously not representative of the rest of the country. I don't even know what you're arguing at this point. Your original claim was that supporting feminism will cause the Dems to "lose badly." That's demonstrably untrue. At best, you could argue that, for Dems, supporting feminism isn't guaranteed to return them blowout victories.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, you are. You're moving the goalposts, too.

And yet, Republicans have only won the popular vote once in the 22 years since Clinton left office.

Why do I care what your particular district looks like? It's obviously not representative of the rest of the country. I don't even know what you're arguing at this point. Your original claim was that supporting feminism will cause the Dems to "lose badly." That's demonstrably untrue. At best, you could argue that, for Dems, supporting feminism isn't guaranteed to return them blowout victories.

I don’t know that your post deserves an answer but I’ll try to explain what’s wrong with the Democrats = Feminists scenario.

Under Roe v Wade, marriage is a thing of the past. I’ve read the decision, and marriage is mentioned only in footnotes dealing with past cases, which are rejected.

Under Roe v Wade, marriage is a myth, husbands don’t exist, and fathers are irrelevant. Husbands and fathers have no rights, that why abortion is “a woman’s right.” Under Roe v Wade, family is irrelevant. There are no parental rights, only a girl’s right to abortion.

By endorsing Roe v Wade, Democrats are telling men to get lost.
By endorsing Roe v Wade, Democrats are telling everyone who has a religion to get lost.
If Democrats = Feminists, the only people who will vote Democrat are anti-religious women.

If Charlie Crist had asked me, before running for Governor, I could have pointed out the obvious. There aren’t enough anti-religious women for Democrats to get elected. Yes, Democrats will pick up a handful of votes for other reasons, but overall, there aren’t enough anti-religious women to elect Democrats.

The Democratic Party may be the better of the two major US parties, but I can’t help them if they dig their own grave and jump in.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Look, feminism is not unpopular in the US. Neither is pro-choice politics. Florida just seems to have leaned red recently, after decades of being a swing state. But that's hardly typical of the US as a whole, which is more moderate in its politics.

During the pandemic, alot of Republicans moved to Florida because it had more lax restrictions. I suspect that is the reason we have seen a political shift.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Look, feminism is not unpopular in the US. Neither is pro-choice politics. Florida just seems to have leaned red recently, after decades of being a swing state. But that's hardly typical of the US as a whole, which is more moderate in its politics.

During the pandemic, alot of Republicans moved to Florida because it had more lax restrictions. I suspect that is the reason we have seen a political shift.

FireDragon: "During the pandemic, alot of Republicans moved to Florida because it had more lax restrictions."

If anyone moved to Florida as a result of the pandemic, I haven't heard about it. People do move to Florida for other reasons. They like the climate, and taxes are lower. I've seen a list of states people are moving to in the last couple of years and Florida isn't one of the top destinations.

Single issue fanaticism isn't a good way to win elections.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
FireDragon: "During the pandemic, alot of Republicans moved to Florida because it had more lax restrictions."

If anyone moved to Florida as a result of the pandemic, I haven't heard about it. People do move to Florida for other reasons. They like the climate, and taxes are lower. I've seen a list of states people are moving to in the last couple of years and Florida isn't one of the top destinations.

Single issue fanaticism isn't a good way to win elections.

During the pandemic, thousands of people moved to Florida. Some temporarily, but many stayed. Many of them because they favored DeSantis laissez-faire policies.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The SCOTUS decision on Roe V Wade had much to do with the republican loss in the senate.

Come 2024, voters may begin to see the slippery slope they put the country on.

Upvote 0