Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I recently learned that conservative Lutherans practice "closed communion." My question is, which groups / denominations do they include in their fellowship?
From the Missouri Synod:
“In keeping with the principle that the celebration and reception of the Lord’s Supper is a confession of the unity of faith, while at the same time recognizing that there will be instances when sensitive pastoral care needs to be exercised, the Synod has established an official practice requiring, ‘that pastors and congregations of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, except in situations of emergency and in spe-cial cases of pastoral care, commune individuals of only those synods that are now in fellowship with us. By following this practice whereby only those individuals who are members ofthe Synod or of a church body with which the Synod is in altar and pulpit fellowship are ordinarily communed, pastors and congregations preserve the integrity of their witness to the Gospel of Christ as it is revealed in the Scriptures and con-fessed in the Lutheran confessional writings.’”

Edit: here's a link to who they are in "altar and pulpit fellowship" with: LCMS Partner Church Bodies - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
commune individuals of only those synods that are now in fellowship with us.
Thank you for the answer. Does this mean only conservative Lutheran synods are considered? The question is of particular importance to me as I am considering visiting Lutheran churches and perhaps joining them.

Upvote 0

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the answer. Does this mean only conservative Lutheran synods are considered? The question is of particular importance to me as I am considering visiting Lutheran churches and perhaps joining them.
I added a link at the bottom of my post which shows which churches are in communion with thr Missouri synod

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently learned that conservative Lutherans practice "closed communion." My question is, which groups / denominations do they include in their fellowship?
Technically only synods or members of those synods in "Altar and Pultpit Fellowship" for the LCMS which would be the list here:
LCMS Partner Church Bodies - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

Note, the only bodies in the USA are the LCMS and TAALC (The American Association of Lutheran Churches). The TAALC only has 12 affiliated churches.

In practice many LCMS churches do not "check" if you are a visitor but have a statement of belief in their bulletin or somewhere visible and if one agrees one may take communion. Some churches (usually small ones) do limit communion to only people known to the pastor.

As for the other "conservative Lutheran" churches such as the WELS and ELS, they only commune people from those synods (but are in communion with each other, I believe). The AALC varies by congregation, usually similar to the LCMS but also occasionally more open. WELS, ELS, and the AALC congregations may or may not let a visitor commune, if one is intent on doing so it is best to speak to the pastor ahead of time.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Edit: if you are in Canada your options might be more limited. The Canadian version of the LCMS is the Lutheran Church - Canada (LCC) and they technically are almost identical to the LCMS in communion if I am correct. Outside of the LCC I am not really familiar with Canadian Lutheran churches other than the ELCIC (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada), which is not considered "conservative".

Upvote 0

TKA_TN

May 23, 2018
Tennessee
✟66,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Technically only synods or members of those synods in "Altar and Pultpit Fellowship" for the LCMS which would be the list here:
LCMS Partner Church Bodies - The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

Note, the only bodies in the USA are the LCMS and TAALC (The American Association of Lutheran Churches). The TAALC only has 12 affiliated churches.

In practice many LCMS churches do not "check" if you are a visitor but have a statement of belief in their bulletin or somewhere visible and if one agrees one may take communion. Some churches (usually small ones) do limit communion to only people known to the pastor.

As for the other "conservative Lutheran" churches such as the WELS and ELS, they only commune people from those synods (but are in communion with each other, I believe). The AALC varies by congregation, usually similar to the LCMS but also occasionally more open. WELS, ELS, and the AALC congregations may or may not let a visitor commune, if one is intent on doing so it is best to speak to the pastor ahead of time.

My LCMS parish practices the way you mentioned.

• Useful
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the answer. Does this mean only conservative Lutheran synods are considered?
Essentially, yes, since agreement in faith is required, and that means all articles of belief. Of course, there are also Lutheran churches that are not Confessional/Conservative Lutheran, such as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and its affiliates in the Lutheran World Federation.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Essentially, yes, since agreement in faith is required, and that means all articles of belief. Of course, there are also Lutheran churches that are not Confessional/Conservative Lutheran, such as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and its affiliates in the Lutheran World Federation.

To be clear, even the non-conservative synods might consider themselves Confessional, the ELCA does. They interpret the Confessions in a different manner.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be clear, even the non-conservative synods might consider themselves Confessional, the ELCA does. They interpret the Confessions in a different manner.
They might say that, but I don't know that they do. In any case, the term has been adopted by the LCMS and WELS (and not without good reason) such that most Lutherans automatically understand which synods are being referred to when it appears. Wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They might say that, but I don't know that they do. In any case, the term has been adopted by the LCMS and WELS (and not without good reason) such that most Lutherans automatically understand which synods are being referred to when it appears. Wouldn't you agree?

I would definitely agree. :) But I also just like to have it pointed out that the more liberal synods have not abandoned the Confessions as the conservative synods tend to say.

• Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Note, the only bodies in the USA are the LCMS and TAALC (The American Association of Lutheran Churches).
I'm surprised that LCMS, LCC, and TAALC are not in communion with other conservative Lutherans. Also, I read about the North American Lutheran Church and Augustana Catholic Church. What is the standing of these?

In practice many LCMS churches do not "check" if you are a visitor but have a statement of belief in their bulletin or somewhere visible and if one agrees one may take communion.
This is encouraging. The 2 Lutheran churches closest to me are LCMS and LCC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised that LCMS, LCC, and TAALC are not in communion with other conservative Lutherans.
That probably owes to the smallness of those other synods, some of which have been in existence for some time. Mergers or even altar and pulpit agreements take a lot of work and, like it or not, to provide for something that almost never will involve very many people even if it's approved doesn't rank too high on most churches' agendas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That probably owes to the smallness of those other synods, some of which have been in existence for some time. Mergers or even altar and pulpit agreements take a lot of work and, like it or not, to provide for something that almost never will involve very many people even if it's approved doesn't rank too high on most churches' agendas.
One good thing about Anglicans is open communion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm surprised that LCMS, LCC, and TAALC are not in communion with other conservative Lutherans. Also, I read about the North American Lutheran Church and Augustana Catholic Church. What is the standing of these?
There is actually a thread about the LCMS, WELS, ELS, talks here: LCMS, WELS, ELS release report on years of informal discussion Full communion has many issues. Personally I do not think they should be dividing issues, but clearly the people in charge feel they are.

NALC are interesting, there are a fair amount of them around (somewhere around 400). If I remember correctly they were initially part of the ELCA as a more conservative coalition but broke and formed their own synod. They are theologically and socially between the LCMS and ELCA.

The ACC is unique as a break away group from the LCMS with a stated goal of joining the Roman Catholic Church as a personal ordinate....but they seem to be distancing themselves from that goal by aligning with the North American Old Catholic Church and other very small groups. I honestly have no idea how many churches are in their synod, but it cannot be many. Just another small breakaway group IMO.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One good thing about Anglicans is open communion.
Much like the ELCA, who is in full communion with the Episcopal Church and a number of other Mainline churches in the USA. Generally, if you are baptized you are welcome. Some churches in the ELCA allow unbaptized, but it is not the norm.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
*Edit* I said "AALC", I meant AFLC - American Association of Free Lutheran Churches.
I did some reading about this alphabet soup. It looks like there is a range from the most liberal ELCA/ELCIC to NALC to AFLC to LCMS/LCC to WELS/ELS (which are the most conservative). LCMS/LCC is closest to my beliefs.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did some reading about this alphabet soup. It looks like there is a range from the most liberal ELCA/ELCIC to NALC to AFLC to LCMS/LCC to WELS/ELS (which are the most conservative). LCMS/LCC is closest to my beliefs.
Sounds about right except AFLC could span more conservative than even WELS/ELS (but unlikely liberal like ELCA), it just depends on the congregation as their synod is very congregational and less overarching. It is more of an alliance based on basic beliefs than a synod like the others. But the average AFLC church is probably more conservative socially than LCMS but more liberal liturgically than LCMS.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is actually a thread about the LCMS, WELS, ELS, talks here: LCMS, WELS, ELS release report on years of informal discussion Full communion has many issues. Personally I do not think they should be dividing issues, but clearly the people in charge feel they are.
I read the thread and the report. It doesn't look like dividing issues warrant exclusion from altar fellowship. But, I'm one for open communion of all baptized Christians who believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

The ACC is unique as a break away group from the LCMS with a stated goal of joining the Roman Catholic Church as a personal ordinate....but they seem to be distancing themselves from that goal by aligning with the North American Old Catholic Church and other very small groups.
In these Christian Forums, Old Catholics are grouped with Anglicans and I think this is most appropriate. So, at least for now, this is what the ACC is.

Upvote 0