✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By PHILIP ELLIOTT

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - A top adviser to Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign said Wednesday that Democrats should give more thought to Sen. Barack Obama's admissions of illegal drug use before they pick a presidential candidate . . .

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20071212/D8TG6QUG0.html

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What kills me is that this is being treated like a big deep dark secret when Obama copped to this in his own book. He's obviously not shy about admitting to it.
Yeah, this strikes me as a major mistake, on par with the kindergarten "I want to be President" fiasco.

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Hillary has to resort to this kind of tactic just to try to gain an edge in the primary, she'll be eaten alive in the general elections. And do you really want someone who endorses this kind of action setting domestic and foreign policy? American diplomacy is already in the toilet, do we need to sink lower?

Upvote 0

HumbleMan

Ragamuffin
Dec 2, 2003
Mississippi by way of Texas
✟17,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obama's got a knack for taking these kind of apparent attacks and turning them into positives, or at least making those getting at him look stupid for attacking.

Questions about his drug use have already made the Clintons look bad... in 2004 he was asked if he inhaled when he used drugs... he answered... "Of course. Isn't that kind of the point?"

I doubt many voters will be swayed by the fact that someone used drugs when he was younger, admits it was a mistake, and went on to get a great education and have a successful career afterwards. The Clinton camp, as I've said before, is going to throw anything and see if they can get something to stick.

I think in the end its going to hurt them far more than it hurts Obama.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes her look asinine if he already admitted to it.

admitted to it? its likely no one would even know about it if he hadn't written about it in his own book. He didn't just admit it, he published it, and has spoken to schools about the mistakes he made and what he's learned from them.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Cocaine is a pretty hard drug... Marijuana can be equated to alcohol in many ways and I would even argue that on some levels marijuana is a safer drug than alcohol. But cocaine? That is pretty shady for any body's past.
I am not one to cast stones or to judge so much but if we are talking about the Presidency, previous cocaine use would be a good grounds for criticism.
When selecting a President I would like to think of somebody who has led a squeaky clean life. The Presidency is a stressful job and the notion that somebody has done such a hard drug is unnerving.
I even really felt bad about Pres. Bush's DWI to answer any calls of hypocrisy on my behalf that may come. I feel that this sort of use of narcotic is quite extreme. I am surprised I did not hear about this earlier.

[/FONT]

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Cocaine is a pretty hard drug... Marijuana can be equated to alcohol in many ways and I would even argue that on some levels marijuana is a safer drug than alcohol. But cocaine? That is pretty shady for any body's past.
I am not one to cast stones or to judge so much but if we are talking about the Presidency, previous cocaine use would be a good grounds for criticism.
When selecting a President I would like to think of somebody who has led a squeaky clean life. The Presidency is a stressful job and the notion that somebody has done such a hard drug is unnerving.
I even really felt bad about Pres. Bush's DWI to answer any calls of hypocrisy on my behalf that may come. I feel that this sort of use of narcotic is quite extreme. I am surprised I did not hear about this earlier.

[/FONT]
As long as he isnt using it now, I dont see what the problem is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

[/FONT]

Bush used to be on coke

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have never heard accusations of Pres. Bush using coke.

I have changed my stance since this morning (Yes, I know, fast). But only a little...

I think it is not something I would utterly dismiss him for, but I think it is a slight blow against him int he sense that cocaine comes off as far more serious than either alcohol or marijuana.

It is in the past and not only is he forgiven but I doubt he has any association with it; in fat, he is a better man for having given it up and gone the right way, but I am not sure about it all together... I was never tempted to do any narcotic that hard and I think it was a grave mistake.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never heard accusations of Pres. Bush using coke.

He's come fairly close to admitting it himself, actually:

A conversation between Bush and an old friend and author, Doug Wead, touched on the subject of use of illegal drugs. In the taped recordings of the conversation, Bush explained his refusal to answer questions about whether he had used marijuana at some time in his past. “I wouldn’t answer the marijuana questions,” Bush says. “You know why? Because I don’t want some little kid doing what I tried.” When Wead reminded Bush that the latter had publicly denied using cocaine, Bush replied, "I haven't denied anything."

The allegations on this topic have been flying around for quite a while, too.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The real nasty thing about it all was the insinuation that he may have been a dealer. It's ludicrous, and comes awfully close to race baiting in my opinion. Obama grew up going to a presitgious school in Hawaii (after returning from Indonesia at the age of ten) His grandparents and mother were not rich, but the idea that he would have needed or wanted to resort to selling drugs simply because he used them is asinine.

His ambition and success after has proven without a doubt that he's given the stuff up. The story of his drug use is far more inspirational than it is damaging.

Upvote 0